How to: - Explorer 5.0 Swap info detailed photos/wiring descriptions. Into non OBD2 veh | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer 5.0 Swap info detailed photos/wiring descriptions. Into non OBD2 veh

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Carguy I will check into Fuel Pump PSI ratings

Solid engine mounts will be a matter of personal preference and intended use.

PSI, is not the problem. Yes, of course you need the proper pressure, for which the injectors were designed (which, may or may not be different for the 2.9L, and a '97 5.0L, you'd have to look that up.) The bigger issue is rated flow, or GPH (gallons per hour). A 5.0L is going to need a much greater VOLUME of fuel, particularly if it's modded, than a stock 2.9L-V6. You also want to make sure your fuel pump is rated at a little more then what the engine needs, as frequently running the pump at 100% of rated capacity will quickly wear it out.

As for the motor mounts, yes, whether or not you use the solid motor mounts is a matter of personal preference. However, as I said, if you do use them, then solid trans mounts are also required, in order to do the job the "right way", and avoid future breakage of the bellhousing/trans case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picture of this harness will be added:::::::::::

97 Explorer Engine Harness C115F

Pin #----Circuit/Color------Function-------------------New Location on 92 Cab
1----- 16(R/LG)----------Igntion Coils +12VPower-----
2----- 11(T/Y) ----------Tachometer-----------------
3----- 915 (PK/LB)-------data link connector---------Run new wire to cab to CheckPort
4-----511 (LG)-----------brake On/OFF switch input---
5-----238 (DG/Y)--------Fuel Pump Monitor input------
6-----658 (Pk/Lg)-------Malfunction Indicator Lamp---
7-----679 (GY/BK)------Vehicle Speed Sensor Input---
8-----37 (Y)-----------Keep Alive Power (B+)---------
9-----361 (R)----------Power (VPWR)----------------
10----29(Y/W)---------Fuel Pump Sendor Input-------
11----914(T/O)--------data link connector-----------Run new wire to cab to CheckPort
12----224(T/W)-------transmission OD control switch-
13----676 (Pk/O)------Case Ground------------------
14----91 (P/W)--------Canister Vent Solenoid--------
15----926(LB/O)-------Fuel Pump relay control-------
16----39(R/W) --------engine collant temp sensor----
17----791(R/Pk)-------Fuel Tank pressure transducer-
18----359 (Gy/R)------Signal Return-----------------
19----351 (Br/W)------reference voltage------------
20----199 (LB/Y)------transmission range sensor----
21----140( BK/Pk)-----? Back up lamps?------------
22----107 (P)---------data link connector----------Run new wire to cab to CheckPort
23--------------------No wire present--------------
24----329 (PK)--------starter circuit----------------
25----298(P/O)--------?Backup Lamps?-------------
26----253 (DG/W)-----Oil pressure switch-----------
27----305 (Lb/Pk)-----Not used -will double check?--
28----394-(O/Bk)-----air suspension (Not used)-----
29--------------------No wire present--------------
30----331 (Pk/Y)------WOT A/C cut off-------------
31----32(R/Lb)--------starter circuit---------------
32--------------------No wire present-------------
33----463 (R/W)------Nuetral Sense SW (auto)----
34----570(Bk/W)------Ground---------------------Added ring and Grounded
35-------------------No wire present-------------
36----34(LB/O)------+12v for O2 and EGR sensors--
37----198(DG/O)-----AC high pressure cutoff sw input-
38-------------------No wire present----------------
39----191(LG/BK)----Vapor management Valve-------
40----911 (W/LG----Overdrive Control Ind Lamp------
41------------------No wire present-----------------
42----570 (Bk/W)----Ground------------------------Added Ring and Grounded

alright so im in the process of a 97 to 1st gen swap also im also very curious about the wiring....but from what i see all i need to do is make my chassis harness work with this connector as far as the items that are mandatory like N.S.S. and ignition coil power and theoretically i can just not worry about the items im not going to use say pin 30 since im not so worried about AC......am i on the right track here??? thanks in advance!

Yea all comes down to this harness, Mine runs great has about 2hrs on it now, my harness isnt pretty yet, but once i get a chance I am going to go more in depth on details here, but crunch time getting it useable for SMORR run.

Right on. did you just use the other half of the connector and ran your wires from it or cut the connector completly off?

also are you running 4 o2 sensors? anyway i can eliminate the rear 2 easily while im already hacking at the harness???

Yes running all 4, im running everything the 97 explorer had emession wise accept EGR was deleted before I got it and thats the codes throws.

Sorry guys been taking me a little bit longer to get back here and update wiring info, which I still plan on doing, but had little accident that killed my coresupport and driverside A-pillar is tweaked on the 92 Cab setup, so Im hunting for new body either 89/90 Bronco 2, 1990-97 Ranger Reg Cab, trying to find 95-97 Cab so will do details on it also once thuis all happens.

I just picked up a 98 x-5.0 for my engine swap. I've been doing a bunch of research as to how to make this swap happen, and it seems you have the best info so far on the net. However, I do not want to keep nearly as much of the parts as you are. Maybe you can help me out a little bit as to how much I can get rid of, and maybe it will answer questions for others starting with what I have. Basically I have this:

img_8539.jpg

img_8540.jpg

img_8542.jpg

img_8544.jpg

it is going into this:

img_9023.jpg

Currently I run a durasparked 2.8, so I have absolutely no wiring harness to begin with (probably a good thing).

from the 5.0 I have the ECU, MAF sensor, complete engine harness and everything on the engine. as you can see I just unplugged it from the firewall harness points.

I am running a full manual C5 behind it, so I have no need for any of the trans control. I also want to do away with as much as the emissions as I can while making the engine run properly.

Basically, I need help getting rid of as much as I can, and make the engine run.

Thanks, and my intent is not to thread jack, rather add to what is labeled as an Ex-5.0 swap into non OBD2 vehicle thread.

thanks,

Justin

So far this has been a good write up on V8 swap and not trying to hi jack your forum just want to know more as I'm in debate on rebuild the 4.0 which is smoking and not happy with power on the trails or V8 swap.

I have found a doner 97 explorer V8, auto, 2wd and can get it for $750.00 is this a good start and what would I have to do about trans as I have a 92 explorer 4.0, auto, 4wd ?

Also I was thinking can the 2wd trans be turned into 4wd or would it be better to get trans out of F150 or full size bronco with the electronic shift transfer case so can use same in dash controls ?

What would be cheaper and how much would it cost ?

Thanks for any help on these ?

I havent checked this in along time, kinda got lazy I guess.

You will need an automatic from a v8 setup, easiet would be an awd v8 explorer. main thi is your 4.0 automatic will not work

Did your swap require input from a speed sensor such as a drive shaft of rear axle sensor?

There are several folks, myself included, struggling with getting such a swap running. Any comment you could add to this thread would be appreciated.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364540

Has anyone here or can anyone here tell me everything I will need to do the 5.0 swap on a 2000 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC? I'm sure most of the things on this list apply, but I was just wondering if there is anything specific to my vehicle. I plan on getting a 5.0 from the same year and my Explorer in hopes that maybe it will make things somewhat easier.

wiring quesions

I know' been a while since you posted anything this swap, but I'm midway in my swap from a running doner 97 EB. into a 88YJ. I've got everything else wired up, but it won't start yet

On the C115 plug there are 2 wires # 24 & 31 marked as "starter circuit" do you know where they are supposed to go? on the actual 12V+ circuit from the starter relay or to control the relay or were?
Also, #10 , "fuel pump sender input" does that go to the fuel pump output contacts or to a unknown pressure switch or where?
one more, #26 , "oil pressure switch" I cant find a pressure switch, just the pressure sending unit.
any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!:

splat:

Hi guys, nice forum, I just finished putting 97 302 fuel injected in my 98 4wd ranger. runs good but some electrical issues. anyone good at electrical?

OK, you have a '97 Explorer 302 fuel injected in your '98 4wd ranger with, I a '97 4R70W transmission. Engine, tranny, transfer case, engine wiring and pcm are all '97 Mountaineer. You are getting codes; P0708 for transportation range switch high input. Tech at work put computer on it and said your pcm thinks transfer in o/d all the time(?). Says it must be wiring.

Here is the '97 harness connector to the transmission:

53742-bddce25674ec41199b1114353ad1d59c.jpg

Here is the later version:

4r70w-trans-connector-98-jpg.jpg

You need to acquire the electrical schematic for the '98 Ranger. Ford changed this connector wiring in late '97 which has caused a number of problems for even straight Explorer to Explorer swaps.

Your '97 provided the VSS signal directly from the transmission output sensor to the PCM through the engine/transmission wiring harness.

You found pin 20 at c115 is for transportation switch but ranger side has no pin. Plug from donor has a pin and wire. I had to add a number of wires to the body side of C115 in my swap but there were pins there and wires available to connect to.

I suspect that you need to find a way to connect the transmission output speed sensor to the PCM through the C115 connector.

Most of the above was just me trying to get a handle on the details of the situation but you are going to have to tell the PCM the transmission output shaft speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back