Hand Throttle: HOW TO

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Last night in chat I got a couple requests for pictures of my hand throttle setup. Thought i'd quickly do a writeup for those of you who would like to set one up. I had one on here a long time ago but no pics so it kinda sucked.

My explorer:
93xlt, 4.0ohv, Manual transmission, electric 4x4, d44, 9", <6" lift.

I don't really see a point in putting a hand throttle in an auto truck. With a manual though three pedals can be hard to juggle which is where the hand throttle really helps.

My preferred setup is a click style bike shifter hand throttle. Twist grips, thumb throttles, bike brake handles could work but I think it defeats the purpose. With those you would just be moving the throttle to your hand...a hand that you need to work the stick or hold onto the steering wheel.

Anyway to the pics!

I used a shimano SIS 5 position shifter. It came with the shifter, and cable. I set this up like 8 years ago but it cost less than 10 bucks. I mounted it directly to the stick. It's a very convenient location. Each click (once engaged) gives me somewhere between 3-500 rpm.
DSC01045.JPG

I routed it through a factory hole in the firewall. The cable goes directly through a factory rubber plug. It is located just behind the intake plenum, on the right (drive side).
DSC01048.JPG

I used a small hose clamp to secure the cable to factory throttle cable housing. To connect the hand throttle cable to the actual throttle I got a crimp at a hardware store. I made a loop in the shifter cable and crimped it all together.
DSC01047.JPG

Next I used a ball chain (from a ceiling fan accessory kit I think) to link the shifter cable to the factory plastic throttle cable end. Using the ball chain allows the factory throttle operate without any resistance. The ball chain however does have enough slack to require one or two clicks on the shifter to get it to respond. I consider it a safety margin though. I can get plenty of revs with the remaining positions.
DSC01046.JPG

That's it. It works great and would cost probably less than 30 bucks. Hope that helps anyone out there who wants one :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great how to thread :thumbsup:

I am doing this mod in a couple days. Will be a great help in ascending steep grade climbs. Heel & toe is for street racers, not crawlers...lol :D

Thanks for posting this CP!

Great how to thread :thumbsup:

I am doing this mod in a couple days. Will be a great help in ascending steep grade climbs. Heel & toe is for street racers, not crawlers...lol :D

Thanks for posting this CP!

No prob man. Next thing I need to do is the clutch safety switch bypass. :cool:

Just to help lessen the need to use the clutch. I could do the permanent bypass just like you suggested. But I want it to be my choice to use it or not. That and I like switches LOL

I was checking this out and was gonna do my own..looks fun! I have a question about the hole the cable goes through in the firewall. Mine seems to have insulation inside..can I get through that? What route does it take from the inside the cab? I have five feet of cable attached to the handle..

Could you throw up a link to the switched bypass? I like the idea of flipping it off when you want.

Funny I was thinking of a way to deal with the three peddles just the other night AND HERE IT IS!!

Just ordered a 7 position shimono from eBay for $0.99 so hopefully it will be here soon

Got an sis 7 position shifter in today $7 on eBay new. I'm having problems with it actually pulling the throttle plate. Can't figure why. Any helpful hints on how to keep slack out of it?

(sorry to revive an old thread, this was the most recent hand throttle cable i found so not to dig up an ancient one)

Anywho, I have an automatic trans but this mod seemed really interesting to me and looks really fun to make/use and simple enough for even me to accomplish. I have a couple old bikes i could use for the levers and what not, but i had a couple questions.

1. Did you guys have to get a special, really long brake/shifter cable? or did you just use a standard length one that was already cut to fit a bike?

2. since i dont have a manual, and this would be more for resting my heel when on long trips (dont like cruise since it gets finicky on hills and you cant adjust the speed or rpm as easily) i was thinking abpout mounting a brake lever from an old bike as the handle, mounted on the top of the steering wheel where i rest my hand normally.

Im not sure if this would be possible since the wheel turns like what 2 rotations on our trucks? i would have to give it a lot of extra slack if i want to have my already crappy turning radius and it might make it look really sloppy. Also im not sure how i could attach it to the wheel..
I also thought about mounting it on the column shifter, but then i would have to use a notched bike shifter instead of brake, since i steer with my right hand and holding the shifter would be a pain.

like i said, ik it seems pointless on an automatic but its really just a "*****-n-giggles" mod for me, something cool that would make my truck more "custom" and fun to drive.
any thoughts?
thanks!

Being that it is an automatic, I wouldn't think about doing something like this to it ever. That just sounds way to dangerous to me. With a manual, we can push the clutch pedal in a heartbeat to stop momentum.

I would never run anything like this on the street anyways. It's just meant to be a helper for simple short term things like climbing up an obstacle, or to help hold you in place with slighter higher rpm's while your feet are on the brake and clutch.

Attaching it to the steering wheel is just asking for trouble. Highly doubtful it work at all anyways.

Unless you are building an access vehicle for a disabled person, there is no reason to do a hand throttle on an automatic.

alright, i know it sounds dumb, i was just "exploring" the possibilities, and i would deffinitely not want a notched one, it would be just like letting off the gas with the pedal, i was just curious because it sounded like an interesting mod. kind of like a throttle on a dirtbike or atv.

and (completely out of curiosity) why would mounting it on the steering wheel be asking for trouble? aside from having a longer cable it doesnt seem like it would any different to set up or function from one on a manual. anyway, liek i said i was just curious because it seemed like a really interesting mod.

Sounds like a bad idea.

Alright well, like i said just a thought i had, thanks for the opinions, i probably wont do it ust because i do see how it probably just wouldnt work out well.

Back