Frogged License Plate. . .

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Grit City, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 “Sport”
:thumbdwn: Not for the "Serious Explorations" license plate bracket, but the flimsey zip tie mount that I've had it attached to since I put on the new rear bumper. . .
Mount Small.JPG

Zip Mount Small.JPG

So the donor was a rear plate bracket from an Eeeek! Chevy Astro minivan. . .

Bracket #1.JPG

Had to do some modification to remove the void for the Astro door handle, then slathered it all in Herculiner. . .

Small Bracket.JPG

So, what the hell, let's get to cutting! ! ! (and a little bit of banging) :hammer:

More to follow. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Frogged or Frenched??

:popcorn::chug:

Same same.

Frogged or Frenched?? :popcorn::chug:

"You say tomato, I say tomotto...", the only French things I can tolerate are fries and toast. . .:p:

So let's tape out a template and drill some holes for the jigsaw. . .

Taped Small.JPG

Left some tabs on each side to secure the license plate bracket. . .

This is what I consider the point of no return. . .

No Return Small.JPG

Had to be careful not to cut through the rear hatch latching mechanism. Daily driver off to the right...

Now let's see what it looks like with the bracket fitted:

Fitted Small.JPG

Not too shabby, methinks. . .

And now with the new LED to illuminate the license plate. Routed the original tail light illumination wires near the CB antenna wire, up into the rear cargo area, under the "D" pillar trim, and then back down through the rear hatch.

With Light Small.JPG

Still more to follow. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Looks good so far!

"You say tomato, I say tomotto...", the only French things I can tolerate are fries and toast. . .:p:

I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!

It's looking awesome so far. Take good notes so you can do mine next.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Take good notes so you can do mine next.:thumbsup:
If you pay me for it, would that then make your rig: "Bought, not built?":wavey:

Off today due to the "Artic Blast" - - almost 3" of snow on the ground lasting more than two hours. . .

So, slathered some more Heculiner on the bracket and filled a void or two on the hatch.

Too cold for the Herculiner to dry and finish the project today, but here is the latest pic:
Hercu Small.jpg

Yeah, I drink PBR. . .

Maybe done tomorrow, "Artic Blast" permitting. . .

Paul

PBR for the MFW... :D

So,,,how is it secured to the hatch?

Haven't you had that plate holder for,,,,,,,,,,

about a year? :rolleyes:

Off Again. . .

So the Artic Blast continues, no work again, so its time to finish this project - - as Phil noted, I have had this bracket ready for m o n t h s. . .

Tape removed, plate installed with "Serious Explorations" bracket, LED illuminating the plate. . .
Plate w Light Small.JPG

Out and about. . . (note the artic conditions...) Looks like a small crease due to "forcing" on the bottom and left side, will have to bang those out later. . .:rolleyes:
Plate Exterior Small.JPG

Even with a few more adjustments required, had to give the project a thumb's up :thumbsup:
Thumb Small.JPG

Hey, does this mean I'm a hipster ? :cool:
Pabst Up Small.JPG

Paul

:rolleyes:your bumper is dirty :D

You comin out this weekend?

So the donor was a rear plate bracket from an Eeeek! Chevy Astro minivan. . .

View attachment 61598

Had to do some modification to remove the void for the Astro door handle, then slathered it all in Herculiner. . .

View attachment 61597

So, what the hell, let's get to cutting! ! ! (and a little bit of banging) :hammer:

More to follow. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

How did you deal with the hole for the handle?

I see a trace of blue tape on the back side but looking at the one I picked up at Pick-n-pull today, the angles don't match and there would still be a hole.

BTW, this same frame is found on full size Ford vans so we're safe :)

BTW, this same frame is found on full size Ford vans so we're safe :)

Nope. . . the Econoline rear license plate bracket has a rounded key slot (for the rear door), the Astro bracket does not - - the key hole is located elsewhere on the rear cargo door.

As for the void, I cut out the excess and plasti-welded the pieces back together.

Paul
'91 Sport

Nope. . . the Econoline rear license plate bracket has a rounded key slot (for the rear door), the Astro bracket does not - - the key hole is located elsewhere on the rear cargo door.

As for the void, I cut out the excess and plasti-welded the pieces back together.

Paul
'91 Sport

Hmm, all the Astro vans at the Lynnwood Pick n pull had the key hole like the Ford's.

Guess I'll pick up some washer reservoir repair kits to apply to the back side and try to piece it together.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back