Speed adds another X to the bunch...kinda | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed adds another X to the bunch...kinda

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Okay, so last summer I broke my wifes Green Explorer....the problems were getting worse and worse....so we parked it. And I have been letting her drive my White Explorer. And I bought a 1988 Ranger XLT from a friend that couldn't get it running. He put new fuel pumps in it, and it still wouldn't start....well he sells it to me for $400...I fixed it without spending a dime! and I drove it for a month, and then my niece and her husband needed a truck. So I sold it to them for $1,000......

My wife said she wanted another Explorer, so I used the money I got when I sold the truck to buy my wife a 1998 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD......it has some sheet metal damage on the front drivers side fender/grill/hood....

I just got it delivered about an hour ago, and theres no daylight...so pics will have to wait until tomorrow...

So on my list of stuff I need to buy for it:

Color is RED:
Hood
D/S Fender
Grille
D/S Headlamp +Corner lamp
Fiberglass Header Panel Assembly

We are taking the leather seats (the ones I got from the `97 that I took the drivetrain out of to put into my `92) out of her Green X, and putting them into the Mounty....I'm glad Ford put that Grey interior in almost ALL of the 2nd Gens!!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Color is RED:
Hood
D/S Fender
Grille
D/S Headlamp +Corner lamp
Fiberglass Headlamp holder assembly

You forgot to put Torque Monsters on your list :D

LOL....my wife said I can't modify this one too much....

I do have TMH's on my White X....and I love them!...I was thinking of having my set modified, cut the flanges off, and make them a 1-3/4 primary then transition to the original tubes, like a Torque Step design...If I get the heads I want, I will be able to do that....but that's not for a while!

Ryan

Meh, should have bought her an Aviator :D

I was looking at one....but they go for 9-12k.....I can't afford the Aviator right now...I wish though!

Ryan

you have my # right? give me a call for some parts we will get you hooked up

yeah, I got your number...and I was going to call, but I thought you guys were all going snow wheeling this weekend?

Ryan

I got a Fender today at Meridian Auto Wrecking (B&R?)...and I got a grille, and corner light from Binford's in Kent....

Meridian has the hood too, but I didn't have room in my White X for it....I may have to take my friends F-250 out there....

That leaves me only needing the Fiberglass Header Panel....which sucks, cause it's a HUGE piece, that people want a lot of money for, and you ONLY see a 5" x 1" strip of it, so it needs to be painted.....but it also holds the Grille, headlamps, and corner markers.....so it has to be that big!

Oh well...I will keep looking for one...

Ryan

:ttiwwp:

:ttiwwp:

:ttiwwp:​

Ask and you shall recieve....

Attachments

• SpeedsMounty.jpg
    SpeedsMounty.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 500

I inspected the Radiator Core Support, and it is too far gone for me to try to fix it/save it.

So, tonight I ordered a new Radiator Core Support. It is under the hood, so I also bought a can of PlastiKote's Toreador Red Touch Up Spray Paint....it doesn't have to look perfect, it just has be kinda close.

Ryan

WHAT ARE THE ODDS!!!

Last week I went to B&R (Meridian) Autowrecking in Graham and bought a fender. I took it home, and compared it to the Fender I have on the vehicle and it is a PERFECT match!! So today I went back to buy the hood and Header Panel...the one on my Mounty is broken in the drivers side, and the one at Meridian is broke on the passenger side. I will make 1 good one from the 2. While I was there I took a picture of the VIN # on the core support, and the big piece of paper in the windshield...it listed the VIN # too....I took it home and that is when I realized that the last 5 digits of MY 1998 Mountaineer is 33426....and the `98 Mountaineer at Meridian is 33425! Both are Toreador Red....so I have NO DOUBT they were painted at the same time, with the same paint....as SOME of you know, Toreador Red is one of the Hardest colors to match. ALMOST impossible to do it the way I am doing it....some times you just have to be lucky!

What is also pretty crazy is, DIRECTLY behind my house, is another 1998 Mountaineer. The last #s on THAT VIN are 33420...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/ctd/2118445281.html

$3,999 *
Sport Utility 4D
Color: Green
174,812 miles
Automatic, AWD, V8, 5.0 Liter
VIN: 4M2ZU55P2WUJ33420
Stock: #1622

Options:
ABS (4-Wheel), Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, CD (Single Disc), Cruise Control, Dual Air Bags, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Privacy Glass, Roof Rack, Running Boards, Tilt Wheel, Towing Pkg

Ryan

Attachments

• MountyVin1.jpg
    MountyVin1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 459
  • MountyVin2.jpg
    MountyVin2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 457

That's pretty awesome that they were one after the other. lol.

But I'm guessing the hood was gone?
And grill?

Any other updates?

I got the hood and fiberglass header panel! I had to get a grill from another place in the area...

I won't start tearing into it until Christmas...as that is my NEXT day off. I have everything either HERE, or on the way here...gotta love eBay!

Ryan

Git er dun in time for the next snow run!!!

Call in sick in the 1st. :D

LOL...You REALLY think Kim is going to let me take THIS one off-road....you saw what happened LAST TIME we went off-road!

And if I call in, I lose my Holiday pay!....That's DOUBLE TIME!...I'm not giving that up!

Ryan

Update...

Attachments

• DSC07909 (2).JPG
    DSC07909 (2).JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC07905 (2).JPG
    DSC07905 (2).JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC07904 (2).JPG
    DSC07904 (2).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC06945 (2).JPG
    DSC06945 (2).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 413

All welded up, and first coat of paint.....(painting outdoors...with snow falling!)

Ryan

Attachments

• DSC07930 (2).JPG
    DSC07930 (2).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC07933 (2).JPG
    DSC07933 (2).JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC07936 (2).JPG
    DSC07936 (2).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC07938 (2).JPG
    DSC07938 (2).JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 416

I hear there's a parts rig in Humbolt Kansas. You can get any part powder coated any color you want. :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't need any parts NOW....I have everything now...I just need to bolt it all on...

Ryan

Back