• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of painting bumpers

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Thinking of painting bumpers. UPDATE: I did it!!!!!

I'm considering having the black cladding painted to match the car. I think it would give the truck a more finished look. Here's a quick chop of how I see it:

xplr_bmpr_01.jpg

xplr_bmpr_02.jpg

But, in reading the owner's manual, I found this on the BLIS page:
"The BLIS consists of two radar sensors each located rearward of the rear wheels hidden behind the bumper fascia. Do not place any type of bumper sticker in this area. ..."
"BLIS detection limitations: Due to the nature of radar technology,
there may be certain instances where vehicles entering and exiting the
blind spot zones may not be detected. Below is a list of circumstances
that may cause non-detection:
• Debris build-up on the rear quarter panel fascias ..."
I'm wondering if paint would have the same effect as a bumper sticker or debris and end up affecting BLIS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe they could paint around the BLIS. I personally think the painted bumpers are awesome and have thought about doing the same. Mine will not have BLIS so I would not have to worry about that.

I'd be a little nervous about the texture/surface differences between the white paint on the metal (especially the tri-coat platinum) and the plastic. They are going to look quite different, light will reflect differently, etc...and I think you will end up with something that looks like a guy who tried really hard to give it a unified look but failed. I think your chop is a bit deceiving. Just one man's opinion.

I think it looks really good, but ATLcanuck is right about the surface differences. You'd really have to get the bumpers and other trim smooth before painting, but for a price it can be done..

sema-cgs-explorer-2_1035.jpg

02-4.jpg

Now THAT looks sweet.

Yes, I had used those two photos from the concept car as a starting point. Regarding the surface, the place I'm taking the car to will remove all panels and sand/smooth them before painting. They have excellent reputation and I've seen their work; it's outstanding. It is a big job with an OUCH! price tag; that is why I've been hesitating. Now I'm also worried about BLIS.

Yes, I had used those two photos from the concept car as a starting point. Regarding the surface, the place I'm taking the car to will remove all panels and sand/smooth them before painting. They have excellent reputation and I've seen their work; it's outstanding. It is a big job with an OUCH! price tag; that is why I've been hesitating. Now I'm also worried about BLIS.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price tag for doing something like this by someone who has a good reputation for great work?

I've thought about the same thing, it would look awesome on the white. If the sensors are anything like Chrysler's Rear Park Assist sensors, it's perfectly fine to paint them. Just make sure you spray light coats, don't use a brush (i'm sure the guys you'd use would spray but I'm just saying)

edit: would they have to paint the parts while still on your vehicle (one piece bumper), or does the black part detach easily from the bumper?

I, too, would like to hear the price estimate on this...

I'm so excited! I nicked the rear bumper on my X and it had to be replaced. So, I asked the body shop for a price on painting the bumpers and trim. They quoted $1,100. I thought that was fair for the amount of work; especially considering the place I went to when I first looked into having the bumpers painted wanted $3,700!

Our next step was to determine if the work could actually be done. If you read my original post, the manual says something about putting stuff in front of the park assist sensors located behind the rear quarter panels. When they removed the bumper, we discovered the sensors are located behind the part of the bumper that is already painted. So, off we went!

You might notice the opening in the front bumper looks different than the end result. And, I like the chop better. But, the bumper and small square grill are the actual two separate pieces. In the end, I decided to go with the "natural" break rather than half painting the bumper. It still looks terrific!

I am really impressed with the body shop that did the work. They are the body shop at our local Cadillac dealer (my State Farm agent told me to stay clear of the Ford body shop!). They really took the time to understand where the pieces would meet non-painted surfaces and what would look best. They even matched the back-up sensors on the rear bumper to look exactly like the ones in front (which are already painted).

I am absolutely mesmerized with how beautiful my X looks. In my humble opinion, this is exactly how a Limited should look like! I'm like a kid with a new toy. I can't stop looking at it!!! :D

Here are two photos. Lot's more here!

white_bumpers_01.jpg

white_bumpers_02.jpg

That looks great!

Let us know how the paint holds up over time

Never really considered this, but that looks awesome! I may have to check into it.

Its looks fantasic in my opinion:D (now i want to do this!). When I ask the dealer/ then the factory if they could paint these components to match the body paint, its was a no way!

I think in the old days of the production line/assembly lines, companies could do this kind of personalization to a vehicle.
You know; when a person pays close to 50k for a 2012 Ltd Ex, Ford should define the deferences between models with a full body paint, it makes the car complete. Things like bumper protector, it should be included, all weather mats, throw those in, come on Ford, step up the class!

When you purchase the top of the line Pilot, no options, they are all included now, just accessoriescan be added.

I'm just saying, what do you think?

I'm jealous now, so is the wife, she loves it (thats half the battle, right)

I had thoughts of doig that also but going th Eddie bauer route sine they no longer have the partnership. I love the tan body moldings.

Congrats! That looks great!

Very jealous.

And nice photography too.

looks great! For 1100 definitely worth the price

Absolutely worth it, and have always questioned why this wasn't an option at least in the limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok at first I thought you were nuts......but that seriously looks good!

Way better then stock black trim against the white......

Back