• Register Today It's free!

New Here...

spb_8980

Reaction score
City, State
Jaffrey, N.H
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Sport-Trac
Hey Guys and Gals, New here...Just bought an 04 Sport-Trac yesterday and I love it! It's only got 46k on it! Plan to lift it a bit and add some mild mods to it. If anyone has any info, tips of thoughts...Let me know! Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! Loads of tips here and we love to help you spend your $$$$ !

Welcome!

OH yes -- hang out here for a few weeks and your mind will be going crazy with ideas. Trust me... I know. :)

Welcome to the site, check out my library from another site and you'll get some ideas of what lifts look like step by step.

I have pictures of my Trac stock with 255/70/16 and then 265/70/16, then with 1.75" TT and lift shackles and 265/70/16 then with the TT, LS, 3" BL, 265/70/16 and then with285/75/16's and 1.5" wheelspacers front and rear.

There's also pictures of my truck beside a couple other stock Trac's to give you an idea of the differnces in height.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp?VIEW=25950

New too

Hey ladies and gents...... New guy too, I can't believe I just found y'all! I've owned 3 Explorers since 2000 and they are damn good trucks. I have a 2002 Explorer XLS and I just put on some BFG A/T 265 -75-R16 and to my surprise......NO RUB!! I would like to level it out a bit tho.... So I guess my question is - What are some options to lift my front end an 1-1/2' to 2"?

Doing a Torsion Twist will level out the front end for free. Here's aproject thread for you to do a TT and if wanted lift shackles.

Keep in mind to never go higher then 2" of Torsion Twist or front end lift or you'll have premature wearout and damage to the front end parts (hub bearing assemblies, ball joints, tie rods, axle shafts, etc.).

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/Lift/Lift.htm

Also when twisting the torsion bars, understand that whatever amount you "lift" it by is how much downtravel you lose. Basically late-model Explorers and Rangers are cheap to lift a little and expensive to lift a lot.
Torsion twist and shackles + alignment...1.5" for cheap.
Body lift...2" or 3" for $200 + install.
Superlift 4"...$2000 + install.
Dixon Bros. long-travel desert race setup...$4500 + shocks + install + wider fiberglass front fenders + paint = $6500 if you're lucky.

im sure it's been asked - but if you were to get torsion keys - will that keep your down travel? Or do you lose it either way?

im sure it's been asked - but if you were to get torsion keys - will that keep your down travel? Or do you lose it either way?

No. All re-clocked torsion keys do is allow you to adjust the control arms downward even more and therefore lose even more travel. Travel is travel and suspension geometry is suspension geometry.
In a nutshell, the Superlift kit lowers the mounting points of the differential, torsion bars, and lower control arms and uses dropped knuckles to lower the hubs a like amount. It will lift the truck, actually with less CV joint angle than a torsion twist, but not increase actual suspension travel. The Dixon Bros. kit does increase travel since it replaces most of the front suspension with longer parts (there's that pesky geometry again) and the torsion bars with coil-overs but like I said, it costs a crapload of money.

Thanks Johnny. Doing mine this weekend.

Back