Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen Differential Tech | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen Differential Tech

The Electrician

Reaction score
City, State
Makkah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT 4WD V6
Hi every one

The main challenge that I had when I went through this project is: What is the type of the front end of the explorer?

After asking lots of people and after buying and retuning lots of LDS's (the Shipping and returning charges from USA to Saudi Arabia were killing me) finally I found that the 3rd and 4th Gen of the explorer shares the same type of front end (at least internal parts)

I found that the front end of the Explorer 3rd & 4th is: 27 spline Standard Rotation Dana Super 30/186 IFS Check Dana SPICER Light Axle Parts for Ford Applications - page 9

Dead Link Removed

And in the rear end it is: 31 spline Standard Rotation Ford 8.8 IRS

In the following a list contains the front and rear ends components with parts numbers, you just need to Google the part number that you like.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Carriers

Front End Carrier:

Carrier: 27 spline Dana 30 Carrier (Dana Super 30 carrier is a 30 spline)

Ring Gear Bolts: 10
Axle Shaft Spline Quantity: 27
Pinion Spline Count: 26
Ring Gear Rotation: Standard
Ring Gear Diameter: 7.200 in.
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.375 in.
Carrier Breaks: 3.54 ratio and numerically lower / 3.73 ratio and numerically higher

Carrier Breaks means that you need to change the carrier if you changed the gear ratio between the diff break ratio due to the deference of the thickness of the ring-gears which is compensated by the dimension of the carrier

Helical LSD Carrier

Available from TORSEN®

TORSEN® Dana 30 HN T-2 27T (3.73 Ratio and numerically higher) #975420-0831A
2.4:1 Bias Ratio

Also from Eaton

Truetrac Dana 30 (3.54 ratio and numerically lower) #912A584
3.0:1 Bias Ratio
Truetrac Dana 30 (3.73 ratio and numerically higher) #912A585
3.0:1 Bias Ratio

Note: The higher bias ratio, means more the torque available to the front axle can be transferred to the respective wheel with the most traction, to eliminate the open diff behavior on slippery coditions

Selectable Diff-Lock Carrier

Available from Eaton

ELocker Dana 30 (3.54 ratio and numerically lower) #19817-010
ELocker Dana 30 (3.73 ratio and numerically higher) #19818-010

etn-19684-010_w.jpg

Also from ARB Asp lynchy wa

Air Locker Dana 30 (3.54 ratio and numerically lower) #RD101
Air Locker Dana 30 (3.73 ratio and numerically higher) #RD100

Dead Link Removed

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rear End Carrier:

Carrier: 31 spline Standard Rotation Ford 8.8 Carrier

Axle Shaft Spline Quantity: 31
Pinion Spline Count: 30
Ring Gear Diameter: 8.800 in.
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.626 in.
Carrier Breaks: N/A

There is no carrier break which means that the carrier is usable for all gear ratio and there is no need to change the carrier if you want to change the gear ratio unless you want to install a selectable locker or helical LSD or any type of full carrier locker

Helical LSD Carrier

Available form TORSEN® / Ford Racing

TORSEN® Ford 8.8" 31T T-2 #409200-0204G / Ford Racing Ford 8.8" TORSEN T-2 #M-4204-T31
2.2:1 Bias Ratio
TORSEN® Ford 8.8" 31T T-2R #975420-0200L / Ford Racing Ford 8.8" TORSEN T-2R #M-4204-T31H
4.0:1 Bias Ratio

Also form Eaton

TrueTrac Ford 8.8" #913A561
3.5:1 Bias Ratio

Note: The higher bias ratio, means more the torque available to the rear axle can be transferred to the respective wheel with the most traction, to eliminate the open diff behavior on slippery coditions

Selectable Diff-Lock Carrier

Available from Eaton

ELocker Ford 8.8 31T #19660-010

etn-19660-010_w.jpg

Also from ARB

Air Locker Ford 8.8 31T #RD81

26456-lg.jpg

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My recommendations and conclusions regarding carrier:

The best helical LSD combination would be:
TrueTrac in front end, and Torsen T-2R in rear end.

The best price VS. function compromise would be:
TrueTrac in front end, and in rear end.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Ring and Pinion Gears set

Front End Ring and Pinion Gears set

Ring and Pinion Gears set: Standard Rotation Dana Super 30 Ring and Pinion Gears set (which is used for Jeep KJ Liberty (front): 2003 - 2011 and Jeep Grand Cherokee (front): 1999 - 2004)

Carrier Breaks: 3.54 ratio and numerically lower / 3.73 ratio and numerically higher

Carrier Breaks means that you need to change the carrier if you changed the gear ratio between the diff break ratio due to the deference of the thickness of the ring-gears which is compensated by the dimension of the carrier

Available ratio from Dana SPICER

3.55 - D30KJ-355LIB
3.73 - D30KJ-373LIB
4.10 - D30KJ-410LIB

Also from Yukon Gear & Axle

3.73 - YG D30HD-373L

Also from Nitro Gear

3.55 - D30KJ-355LIB-NG
3.73 - D30KJ-373LIB-NG
4.10 - D30KJ-410LIB-NG

Also As per Ronin8002 and as per Dead Link Removed: Standard Rotation Dana Super 30 and Standard Rotation Dana 30 (original design) utilize similar ring and pinion gears, the deference is in the bearings

Standard Rotation Dana 30 (original design) Ring and Pinion Gears set (which is used for Jeep CJ, Bronco: 1966-1970 and Scout: 1967-1974)

Available ratio from Yukon Gear & Axle

3.54 - YG D30-354
3.73 - YG D30-373
4.10 - YG D30-411
4.56 - YG D30-456
4.88 - YG D30-488

Also from Nitro Gear

3.54 - D30-354-NG
3.73 - D30-373-NG
4.10 - D30-411-NG
4.56 - D30-456-NG
4.88 - D30-488-NG

Also From Motive Gear

3.54 - D30-354
3.73 - D30-373
4.10 - D30-410
4.56 - D30-456
4.88 - D30-488

Also from Richmond Gear

3.54 - SD3002
3.73 - SD3003
4.10 - SD3004
4.56 - SD3005
4.88 - SD3006

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rear End Ring and Pinion Gears set

Ring and Pinion Gears set: Standard Rotation Ford 8.8 Ring and Pinion Gears Set

Pinion Spline Count: 30
Ring Gear Diameter: 8.800 in.
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.626 in.
Carrier Breaks: N/A

There is no carrier break which means that the carrier is usable for all gear ratio and there is no need to change the carrier if you want to change the gear ratio unless you want to install a selectable locker or helical LSD or any type of full carrier locker

Available ratio From Ford Racing

3.55 - M-4209-G355A
3.73 - M-4209-F373N
4.10 - M-4209-G410A
4.56 - M-4209-G456

Also from Yukon Gear & Axle

3.55 - YG F8.8-355
3.73 - YG F8.8-373
4.11 - YG F8.8-411
4.56 - YG F8.8-456
4.88 - YG F8.8-488

Also from Nitro Gear

3.55 - F8.8-355-NG
3.73 - F8.8-373-NG
4.11 - F8.8-411-NG
4.56 - F8.8-456-NG
4.88 - F8.8-488-NG

Also From Motive Gear

3.55 - F888355
3.73 - F888373
4.10 - F888410
4.56 - F888456
4.88 - F888488

Also from Richmond Gear

3.55 - 49-0103-1
3.73 - 49-0104-1
4.10 - 69-0310-1
4.56 - 69-0312-1
4.88 - 69-0382-1

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Overhaul & Installation Kits:

Front End Overhaul & Installation Kits:

Available from Yukon Gear & Axle

YK D30-SUP-FORD

Also From Motive Gear

R30LRAMKT

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rear End Overhaul & Installation Kits:

Available Kit From Ford Racing

M-4210-B2

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Note: 3rd & 4th Gen axle shafts for both ends (front & rear) utilize a snap ring clip "Circlip" instead of C-Clip

xctmpEB1RMz.png

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The Project - Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen

Although, my Explorer become more capable off-roader after lifting it using the combination of Turxxx lift kit, Rancho QuickLift Loaded suspensions and a set of 32" LT265/70R17 Yokohama GeoLander A/T-S All Terrain Tires (Total Lift 3.8 inch after settling down)

0112.jpg

026.jpg
034.jpg

Still I was looking for a way to improve the traction control system that is factory equipped in the 4th gen. Explorers

For a better understanding for my needs, let me review the traction control system in the Explorer

AdvancedTrac® with RSC consist of 4 systems working together and accumulating each other:

• RSC Roll Stability Control – helps avoid vehicle rollover (system 1)
  • ESC Electronic Stability Control – helps avoid skids or lateral slides (system 2)
  • Traction control – Helps avoid drive-wheel-spin and loss of traction by using 2 deferent systems:

• Engine Traction Control (which kills the engine torque when a tire spins hard and dangerously) (system 3)
  • Brake Traction Control (which will apply the break individually on a spinning tire) (system 4)

You can disable the AdvancedTrac® with RSC completely (by keep pressing "AdvancedTrac® with RSC button" located in the middle of the dashboard for more than 5 sec) till you reach the safety speed limit (25 mph) then all systems will be enabled and active

298746125.jpg

or disable systems 1, 2 and 3 only and keep Brake Traction Control working like an auto diff-lock either by engaging 4x4 low range or pressing "AdvancedTrac® with RSC button" momentarily (once for less than 1 sec.) till you reach the safety speed limit (25 mph) then all systems will be enabled and active

check page 274 in the owner manual in the following link:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link=002&urlfile=/pubs/content/%7EWO8EXP/%7EMUS%7ELEN/41/08expog2e.pdf

This a video clip of my truck with stock open diff and AdvancedTrac® with RSC in action

Important Note: Brake Traction Control requires maintaining a consent accelerator application even with a spinning wheel

"Brake Traction Control" is great for passing axle twisters with ease (when a tire or even two become airborne)

The downside of "Brake Traction Control" are:

• The wheel needs to spin first before the system works
  • The system over heats brake pads (show a warning on Instrument Cluster) and stops working till the pads cool down
  • In soft sand or mud were momentum is needed at most the system slows the truck and lets it lose momentum
  • The safety speed limit (25 mph) is very low and easily can be exceeded and all systems will be enabled and active. "AdvancedTrac® with RSC" will kill the engine torque when it detect a hard tire spin <---- this is what really bugges me off
  • The system is very sensitive for bad driving techniques (Jerky accelerator application, too low gear selection, insufficient momentum)

Combined with the need to drive - not tow - my Explorer to the trail heads and dunes, I was looking for a traction adding differential that would balance good on-road manners while still provinding a marked improvement in off-road traction. A selectable locker such as ARBs and ELockers were a possibility but struck me as too complex and especially too expensive. And autolockers held no interest for me due to their poor on-road handling characteristics. Not to mention that installing lockers in the rear axle is a very poor idea as it overloads the axle. This pointed me to a limited slip differential which would be much easier on the drivetrain and axles and offer much better road manners.

Clutch Pack Based LSD vs. Helical LSD:

Limited Slip Differentials or LSDs get a bad rap in the off-roading community for good reason. Often, they too easily allow wheel slippage and are a very minor improvement to an open diff. These LSDs have a pair of internal clutch packs under a pre-load to evenly split the torque to the left and right wheels. Offroad driving can easily overcome the clutch packs causing wheel slipage which can wear out or over heat the clutches. These LSDs require special friction modifiers and maintenance at servicing intervals. And typically don't hold up well to the rigors of the trail. In addition, LSDs depend on speed sensing to activate, resulting in a temporary loss of traction. and combine LSDs with Traction Control System yields a redundant configuration where each system is independent of the other and does not enhance the other's traction control capability in any way.

The Helical LSDs, however are a gear-type limited slip. That is, rather than relying on pre-loaded clutch packs the diff only transfer power to a non-slipping wheel when it senses a change in resistance torque (or tire traction). Instead of a series of clutch packs the torsen LSD has a set of internal helical gears that reside in special pockets within the differential case. The instant there is a torque imbalance these helical gears are forced out against the case which binds it up and transfers up to 2.2 - 3 times the available torque to the wheel with traction. With such an LSD there are no clutch packs to wear out, no special friction modifiers to add or anything. Also, helical LDSs are full-time, continuous-duty units, bearing the brunt of the traction management work while Traction Control System kicks in only under extreme conditions. Each system enhances the other, providing the ultimate Traction system.

And here are the most helpful reviews about helical LSD

http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0608_2002_ford_ranger_fx4_differential_install/index.html

Here is the Technical specifications of the helical LSD:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

TORSEN Applications as OEM and after-market

Dead Link Removed

Eaton Differentials Application Guide

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

In the front end I used TORSEN T-2 helical LSD #975420-0831A
many thanks to Ranger Rick of Torsen.com for his help

and in the rear end I used Eaton TrueTrac helical LSD #913A561

In addition, I upgraded the axle ratio (changed the ring and pinion front and rear) from 3.55 into 3.73 in order to compensate the big tires that I use (32" LT265/70R17)

In the front end I used Dana SPICER Super 30 Standard Rotation 3.73 Ring & Pinion Set #D30KJ-373LIB

In the rear end I used Ford Racing Ford 8.8" Standard Rotation 3.73 Ring and Pinion Set #M-4209-F373N

and I used OEM bearings and installation hardware from ford dealer

The installation was a direct bolt on with out any problem

Here are some photos regarding installations:

The Front End

042.jpg

051.jpg
061.jpg

The components of the front end before installation:

071.jpg

and after installation

081.jpg
092.jpg

Now the rear end

1014.jpg

1115.jpg
1214.jpg

and here are the components of the rear end before installation:

1314.jpg
149.jpg

During break-in period (625 mile) I used cheep regular 90w140 diff oil for both ends
after that I exchange the regular oil with Motorcraft Synthetic Oil #XY-75w140-QL

The result was really fantastic, and the traction control does not bothering me any more, and this was a great upgrade for the Traction control system.

On-road Handling:

Because the Helical LSD acts as an open diff until there's a torque imbalance on-road driving characteristics are very benign. There is no understeer or pushing through corners as with an autolocker. Nor is there any chirping, racheting, popping or other harsh engagement/disengagement characteristics. For all intents and purposes it feels as if you're driving an open diff rig.

"Subtle" Traction Improvement:

Due to how the Helical LSD "engages" the way it works offroad is very subtle. Again, there are no theatrics when the Helical LSD engage and disengage. There are no buttons to push, no compressors to activate, no clanking or racheting. The Helical LSD simply transfers torque instantly and seemlessly from one wheel to the other all the time while AdvancedTrac® with RSC system kicks in only under extreme conditions (airborne tire for example), all that without affecting the Explorer ability to turn. The first time I took the Explorer off-road after the install I had a hard time determining if the LSDs were working, except that I wasn't getting any wheel spin and the Explorer kept going.

That's all guys and thanks for reading

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent information. For going through the trouble of researching this, installing, and doing a how to thread I will set you up with a 6 month "Elite Explorer" subscription:chug:

Excellent information. For going through the trouble of researching this, installing, and doing a how to thread I will set you up with a 6 month "Elite Explorer" subscription:chug:

Thanks a million Rick, I really appreciated :)

Nice work :thumbsup: I am glad you finally got it all installed..I know you were trying for a while to get the front axle thing figured out. Good to see that you were able to confirm that the 4th gen has the same axles as the 3rd gen.

Thanks man

and regarding the front end. maybe it is not interchangeable between the 3rd and 4th Gen (because of the mounting points) but internally they are the same :)

OMG!! This timing could NOT have been more perfect! Next weeks plans were to figure this out for my Ex, because I'm having 488's put in next month! Wow.. thank you sir! Just saved me a TON of time and research!!

BTW, what made you decide to go with Torsen over lockers?

OMG!! This timing could NOT have been more perfect! Next weeks plans were to figure this out for my Ex, because I'm having 488's put in next month! Wow.. thank you sir! Just saved me a TON of time and research!!

BTW, what made you decide to go with Torsen over lockers?

you are most welcome

Regarding the Torsen, I chose it because of its versatility.

lockers are superior only for rock crawling, any where else Tosern's are better. also with the lockers engaged it is very difficult to steer

and Lockers are dangerous in rainy and iced highways (they tend to induce over steer)

while Torsen works seamlessly and safely,

the only weak point of Torsen is the need of minimum traction on both sides of it in order to work will (it stops working when one wheel is lifted in air).

But with the combination of break traction control (like the one available in Explorer 4th Gen as a part of AdvancedTrac® with RSC) it will work like an automatic diff-lock.

and in these video clips show how TrueTrac (Torsen Type) works

This vido clips shows the week point clearly (when one tire is lifted in air) see at 00:05

also don't forget that; the price of 1 diff-lock will cost as much as 2 Torsen's

Best regards

I may have f***** up royally with the arb front locker I've got! S***!
Great info mate. Anyone got any idea's?

can't you exchange it with Eaton E-Locker?

Sound's like a plan. Don't you love international shipping?:D

No chance of a c-clip elimination kit for a dana 30?
Alternatives that I can see if no c-clip thingy's are available because I cant return it due to arb re boxing policy and the mob I went through dont stock eaton:

Sell to someone with a jeep in those year's stated above (Brand new $700 and free shipping) if you know someone pm me.
Try and sell locally?

F*** know's....fool's rush in as they say!

EDIT:I did find one site that list's ARB RD 100 as being compatible with ford explorer 02-10 dana 30 front.(randy's ring and pinion)

This vido clips shows the week point clearly (when one tire is lifted in air) see at 00:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjG9-23OVGI

Best regards

Thanks Man! But yea, ^THAT is what scares me. Especially with our 3rd/4th Gens amazing flexing ability:rolleyes: This will be happening ALL the time. But like you said, a front locker is a pain in the ass to steer. I think the perfect mix would be a Torsen up front with a rear locker. So when a front wheel becomes air born.. the rear locker will push it through.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?

Thanks Man! But yea, ^THAT is what scares me. Especially with our 3rd/4th Gens amazing flexing ability:rolleyes: This will be happening ALL the time. But like you said, a front locker is a pain in the ass to steer. I think the perfect mix would be a Torsen up front with a rear locker. So when a front wheel becomes air born.. the rear locker will push it through.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?

if a tire or even 2 tires became air born, the torsen will work and lock the axle with the help of AdvancedTrac® with RSC which is available in the 4th Gen and maybe late 3rd Gen

here is a video clip of my Explorer

if a tire or even 2 tires became air born, the torsen will work and lock the axle with the help of AdvancedTrac® with RSC which is available in the 4th Gen and maybe late 3rd Gen

here is a video clip of my Explorer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5RC55VvqLI

What the hell.. your front left tire worked almost as if it were locked? Didn't spin when it become air born like the truck in the other video??

What the hell.. your front left tire worked almost as if it were locked? Didn't spin when it become air born like the truck in the other video??

This is what I say. If you have AdvancedTrac® with RSC in your turk, Torsen's is all what you need :)

Oh I fail.. missed that lol..

Well up here on our trails.. (even trucks with axles) hit spots to where only the front left and rear right tires are grounded. Still think it will be ok with Torsen's?

Oh I fail.. missed that lol..

Well up here on our trails.. (even trucks with axles) hit spots to where only the front left and rear right tires are grounded. Still think it will be ok with Torsen's?

yes I'm sure it will work because I passed through axle twister (only the front left and rear right tires are grounded) with ease before

just activate the break traction control (either by pressing the traction button once for less than 1 second if you ware in 4x4 high or by engaging 4x4 Low)

The Traction button is the button in the middle
298746125.jpg

and the truck will walk through any axle twister easily

watch the next vid were the explorer sport-trac walks through an axle twister at 00:51

AdvancedTrac® with RSC consist of 4 systems working together and accumulating each other

1- RSC Roll Stability Control (based on gyroscopic system)
2- ESC Electronic Stability Control
3- Engine Traction Control (which kills the engine when a tire spins hard and dangerously)
4- Break Traction Control (which will apply the break individually on a spinning tire)

the traction button have 2 function

1- if you press it momentarily (once for less than 1 sec.) systems 1, 2, 3 will be off and system 4 will keep working helping you

2- if you keep pressing it for more than 5 sec. all the systems will be off and you won't get any help

check page 274 in the owner manual in the following link:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link=002&urlfile=/pubs/content/%7EWO8EXP/%7EMUS%7ELEN/41/08expog2e.pdf

Important Note: Brake Traction Control requires maintaining a consent accelerator application even with a spinning wheel

Jerky accelerator will cause the traction control system to fail at the easiest of obstacles and stops the vehicle

Awesome man! Thanks for the advice!

Awesome man! Thanks for the advice!

you are most welcome

just make sure if you have AdvancedTrac® with RSC in your truck or not. other wise, you need to install lockers

Sound's like a plan. Don't you love international shipping?:D

No chance of a c-clip elimination kit for a dana 30?
Alternatives that I can see if no c-clip thingy's are available because I cant return it due to arb re boxing policy and the mob I went through dont stock eaton:

Sell to someone with a jeep in those year's stated above (Brand new $700 and free shipping) if you know someone pm me.
Try and sell locally?

F*** know's....fool's rush in as they say!

EDIT:I did find one site that list's ARB RD 100 as being compatible with ford explorer 02-10 dana 30 front.(randy's ring and pinion)

Thank you so much for the information :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back