Help: Upgrading Warn Borg 4412

The Electrician

Reaction score
City, State
Makkah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT 4WD V6
Hi every one

Is there a way to beef up WB4412 transfer case?

Stronger clutches?
Higher gear ratio?
Stronger magnetic coupling?
Stronger driving chain?
Transfer-case oil cooler?

can I swap it (direct bolt on) with gear driven transfer case? (I like the electric shift and computerized control and I don't want to loose it)

any help?

with all gratidudes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A good place to start might be to search for the kinds of mechanical failures people experience with these transfer cases, then plan your upgrades to address those failures.

I don't recall hearing very much about mechanical problems with these transfer cases, however, so perhaps it is strong enough for the application.

the problem I had with WB4412 is burned clutches, because there is no oil cooler for the transfer case

also i would like have higher transfer case ratio

Not sure on the solution for the ratio.

As far as the cooling, perhaps you should try replacing the transfer case lubricant (Mercon) witha high quality synthetic fluid such as Amsoil Torque-Drive. Torque-Drive is supposed to be very resistant to high temperatures and may help to provide better protection in your climate.

I did this already after replacing the clutches, I'm using Mecron V

but still the oil reach a high temperature, which still threatening the clutches

I think that the Torque-Drive fluid is said to hold up better in higher temperatures and provide better protection for things like clutches. Might be worth a try. I don't know how you would route the fluid to a cooler and back unless there is a pumping mechanism in the transfer case.

there is an oil pump, but not sure if the pump can deliver enough pressure to push the oil through a cooling loop.

also I'm not sure, but because I was in lack off torque before re-gearing the axles. I was abusing the low range (driving in low range up to 55mph for long distance)

was this the cause of high temp and burned clutches?

It is possible that abusing the low range led to your issue. I am also assuming that the ambient temperatures your transfer case is exposed to lead to a faster than normal degradation of the fluid and less protection for the moving parts. Hence, my suggestion to use a fluid that is rated for high temperatures and that exceeds the Mercon V in that area.

I have been looking for specific comparisons between the two but if you contact the techs at Amsoil they could probably give you that information.

I just used the vehicle search function on their site and the Torque-Drive was one of the options. An email to them would help you identify the best product of theirs to use for your application.

I've check and found that:

AMSOIL Torque-Drive® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Product Code: ATD1G-EA
Is recommended for use in applications specifying:
  • Allison®
  • TES-295 or C4
  • DEXRON® III
  • MERCON®
  • Voith G-1363
  • ZF®
  • TE-ML 14C

While MERCON V® exceed MERCON®

on the other hand

AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid Product Code: ATFQT-EA
Is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:
  • GM DEXRON® III-H
  • Ford MERCON® & MERCON V®
  • Chrysler ATF+4®
  • Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
  • Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
  • Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
  • Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
  • Subaru ATF, ATF-HP
  • Nissan Matic D, J & K
  • Idemitsu K-17
  • BMW LA2634
  • LT 71141
  • Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
  • Volvo 97340
  • MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
  • JWS 3309
  • NAG 1
  • ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402
  • Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
  • ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 14C, 16L, 17C
  • Allison C-4, TES 389
  • Mopar AS68RC
Note: Not for use with CVT or Ford Type F applications.

from the above I choose to use MOTORCRAFT Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid MERCON V® because it is engineered by ford with official ford approval and certification

true but for better protection, I used MERCON V in both transmission and transfer case and hoping for best

after re-gearing and dyno tuning I have enough torque to to wheel in 4H (through very soft and thick sand similar to wheel through mud) and I don't abuse 4L like before

hope this will prevent the pervious issue

Ok as far as making the clutches stronger, not sure there is actually a solution to this, that's the reason 2nd gen owners swapped to the old fashioned manual version. You may want to examine your extension housing and compare it to that of a 91-01 and if it is similar and you want the electric shift you could add a t-case from a 1st gen Explorer since it has a stand alone unit for the 4wd shifting. Just an idea throwing out to you as its gear driven and no worries of burning up the t-case. Never seen you're tail housing to see if this is possible or not.

to do this I think I need to change the transmission

here is the transmission tail
5844641633_a7da97445c_b.jpg

and here is the transfer case
5844642925_cbb27ed43f_b.jpg

Oh ok....that's quite different....guess that option is out.....

Bw 4412

Allaa'

Did you ever get anywhere with the transfer case upgrade? I am currently running a re-manufactured unit after the original broke a chain and cracked the housing. Now I'm having intermittent trouble shifting from 4LO to 4HI. Could be an electronics issue, but I'd consider going to a cable-shifter, old-school. Did you discover what we can replace the 4412 with? Atlas doesn't appear to have an application for us...

Back