Has anyone done DRL's yet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone done DRL's yet?

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
I am not interested in a system that uses my existing lights, but am looking at a good looking set of LED's for DRL use and was wondering if anyone has done anything yet?

The shape of the bottom curve of the headlight looks like a perfect opportunity to do something. Somewhere I saw a company doing them in a small aluminum channel that is designed to fit the contour of the headlight but they are making them for the F250 and not the Explorer, at least not yet so that's out. I've seen a few advertisements for LED strips that are only 1/16" thick that can be tucked below the light and they have a right angle light discharge but would like to know if anyone has tried that yet before I jump. The little LED strip that I got off eBay is nice but it is not bright enough for daytime use.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the brightness of those strips is the real issue. If anyone finds one that is bright enough to work as a DRL, I'd like to know about it too.

These are what you do not want:

http://8007610235.ecrater.com/p/9306821/ford-explorer-led-drl-strip

They are basically the same as I got off eBay and I made an attempt to put these on yesterday. The material is good, but if you give it a slight pull, it will easily break so I would consider them overly fragile. Furthermore, they are simply not bright enough to be a DRL. They would access the headlight nice, and that is what I saw. Nighttime would be sweet, but as for DRL's, IMHO, these would be a waste of your money.

It would be nice, keep us posted

In case you missed other threads, DRL feature is available on ALL Explorers. You just have to convince the dealer to hook up their laptop and flip two software switches in the body control module. Instructions on another thread, or PM me. The dealer will tell you it can't be done, but they just don't know. At that point you now have a DRL light circuit to tap any additional lights to.

did my first install yesterday. strip led in grill tied into parking light drl system I'll post images. biggest trick is getting just the grill off the vehicle... I'll post that method too.

DLR for my Mercury

In case you missed other threads, DRL feature is available on ALL Explorers. You just have to convince the dealer to hook up their laptop and flip two software switches in the body control module. Instructions on another thread, or PM me. The dealer will tell you it can't be done, but they just don't know. At that point you now have a DRL light circuit to tap any additional lights to.

Can you send instructions How to turn the DLR on my 07 Mercury Mountaineer
Thanks

Here's my install:

explorer_drl_zpsc3e561cb.jpg

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a project with Luis from OSS design for an LED strip design for our explorers.

Headlights will be opened blacked out and strips added.

To give you guys an idea look up the Infiniti Q50 headlights.

I'll keep you all posted.

I installed the Philips DRL LED 4 kit. Extremely easy and the lights are very bright.

93d6c028-e656-43c6-a06f-c19fb4e73fc4_zps27bafcf6.jpg

Back