Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Just wondering if any of our 2011+ owners are ham radio operators. We have quite a few who own the previous models.

My ham callsign is AB7FH.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering if any of our 2011+ owners are ham radio operators. We have quite a few who own the previous models.

My ham callsign is AB7FH.
I am (licensed in 1991) but I'm not active anymore. Was somewhat active on 6 meters but lost my antenna last year. Don't have one for HF since I never went for code test. Now I can go on HF due to the length of time I've had my Basic license but never got the antenna. Only thing still in working order is my 144/440 verticle. Kenwood TS-690S all mode, Kenwood TM-221A, Yaesu 7800R dual band and my first rig, an Icom IC-3220H dual bander that I last had in my '06 Highlander. It is next to impossible to find a place to put these mobiles in the newer vehicles.

73's
Peter VE3JWP

Remote head units really help out. Trying to mount the "brick" is next to impossible.

I haven't been too active lately either, although my Icom 746 is sitting in my office all ready to go.

Here's a pic of the setup in my '93:

front.jpg

Icom 2800 2m/70cm on top, Icom 706 6m-80m where the ash tray used to be.

Kenwood communications speakers to the left of the glove box.

Remote head units really help out. Trying to mount the "brick" is next to impossible.

I haven't been too active lately either, although my Icom 746 is sitting in my office all ready to go.

Here's a pic of the setup in my '93:

front.jpg

Icom 2800 2m/70cm on top, Icom 706 6m-80m where the ash tray used to be.

Kenwood communications speakers to the left of the glove box.
That's quite the set up Rick. I realize units with remote heads may be a bit easier but that is another expense. Also, in Ontario, they are really starting to clamp down on 'Distacted Driving'. No hand held devices of any kind allowed. So for the little amount of driving I do, I don't think I'd bother anymore.

I'm still licensed but basically inactive. Over 27 years in various electronics engineering and engineering management positions has taken all the ham radio fascination right out of me.

Even shortwave broadcast listening has lost its allure. Deep F-Layer fades cannot compete with the ability to hear the same stations 5x9 over the internet on my wifi radio or smartphone.

Ham radio was magical as a kid in the 1960's and 1970's. It seems pretty ancient now compared to modern technology. I'd love to get the magic back somehow.

Gurnee, IL home of Great America:D

I grew up in Northern Illinois:chug:

The FCC could help ham radio out a lot if they allowed high speed Internet access via our radios.

Ham Radio is still the best emergency communications while out four wheeling. Where we go cell service is basically non-existent.

Yep, good old Great America. I have not been there in years even though it's only about a mile away. I'm past their target age demographic! :D

Congratulations on your sucessful escape from the flat lands of Illinois to beautiful Arizona. I've been trying go west for years, but the deep roots of job and family are keeping me here. Oh well, it's not so bad 8 months of the year. :rolleyes:

Yep, good old Great America. I have not been there in years even though it's only about a mile away. I'm past their target age demographic! :D

Congratulations on your sucessful escape from the flat lands of Illinois to beautiful Arizona. I've been trying go west for years, but the deep roots of job and family are keeping me here. Oh well, it's not so bad 8 months of the year. :rolleyes:

Yeah, me too... Still brings back great memories though. I think I took every girlfriend I had to Great America, including the one I mariied;)

Northern IL, has two seasons: Winter and Construction.

The Arizona desert has two seasons: Summer and Hell!

Hell just ended and Summer has just started:D

Two Way Radio Install

I hope I have the right forum. I'm looking for ideas on getting power to a dual-band ham radio to place inside my 2011 Explorer. Does anyone have any suggestions on going through the firewall or obtaining power inside the cabin?

Thanks!

I hope I have the right forum. I'm looking for ideas on getting power to a dual-band ham radio to place inside my 2011 Explorer. Does anyone have any suggestions on going through the firewall or obtaining power inside the cabin?

Thanks!
My question would be, where are you going to mount it? I have an ICOM 3220H dual bander as well as a Yaesu FT-7800R neither of which I have had in a vehicle for more that 3 years due to limited space. Also now with the 'Distracted Driving Laws' I would have to get a hands free mic.
Since I lease, I use a magmount antenna but with a moonroof even that will present a problem.
You might also consider posting this in the modified section;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

BTW, welcome to the Forum tnguy. :wavey:

73's
Peter

Thanks for the welcome. I'm thinking of putting the main radio under the driver seat and remote the control head somewhere around the console. I might use a floor mount (bolts to the seat).

Anyway, it looks like it would go well under the seat.

I'll probably use a glass mount antenna.

Just curious, but what is the purpose of running two separate VHF radios?
I assume you are referring to Rick's setup.
The Icom 2800 is a Transceiver radio that operates on VHF and UHF frequencies. The Icom 706, I believe, operates on 6 meters (VHF) and 2 meters (VHF) and also on the HF frequencies. The two radios are not really the same and actually complement each other allowing for a wider use of both VHF/UHF and HF bands.

Peter (VE3 land)

Run one radio on 2 meter FM and one radio on 2 meter SSB is one purpose.
I used to do it all the time.
de KC5OAO EL39tu

I hear yah. I have worked for Motorola for the past 20+ years and can't wait to get out of here. Too bad my wife won't leave her parents.

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and ask a few newb questions.

Since citizen's band channels use UHF, does that mean that your Icom 2800 can transceive CB channels?

If so, should I assume that it does so with far better range and clarity?

It doesn't look like either of those models are currently available. Is there a setup that you would recommend, and/or features to look for?

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and ask a few newb questions.

Since citizen's band channels use UHF, does that mean that your Icom 2800 can transceive CB channels?
If so, should I assume that it does so with far better range and clarity?

It doesn't look like either of those models are currently available. Is there a setup that you would recommend, and/or features to look for?
Citizen's Band use frequencies from 26.965 MHz (CH. 1) to 27.405 MHz (CH 40). These fall within the HF band 3 MHz - 30 MHz.
The Icom 2800 dual band radio works within the 144.000 MHz to 148.000 MHz frequencies on the VHF 2 meter band and within the 430.000 MHz to 450.000 MHz frequencies on the UHF 70cm band.
So the answer to your question would be NO.

As someone who hasn't been active in the hobby for a while, I think I have most of that correct.
The Icom 2820H is also a dual band set with a detachable head and is available.

If you have recently received your amateur radio license, I would suggest that you look around your area to see if there are any amateur radio clubs. Most clubs here are very glad to help out new 'hams' and some even offer courses to get your license.

Peter VE3-, FN25

The Icom 706 will cover the CB band. The Icom 706MKIIG covers everything that both of my radio's cover, so it is possible to consolidate. I just bought my 706 too soon ;). Now it's discontinued altogether and only available used :( IMO the MKIIG was the greatest mobile ham rig ever sold.

As for clarity, HF ham rigs aren't designed to receive the guy in the truck next to you. They are meant to receive weak signals coming from around the world. What this means is that the sensitivity of the receiver is too high when receiving signals from the truck next to you. The radio has a built in attenuator, but it's not enough. An external attenuator would help, but just plan on swapping out my 706 for a a good Cobra CB for this reason.

That said... VHF ham radio is the way to go for trail communications. CB AKA HF is not well suited for trail communications. Like the song says... FM no static at all ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back