uh oh...the dreaded sub box question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

uh oh...the dreaded sub box question

trackerjoe

Reaction score
City, State
origin-Manchester,TN current-Parris Island,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Volvo s80 i6
disregard first question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, im taking the plunge on making a behind the seat fiberglass enclosure. id like some input on materials. please keep in mind that this is my first attempt at a sub box in general, both solid wood or fiberglass. id like to keep away from the expensive stuff until im comfortable with my work.

1.any suggestions on cloth? ive seen some people use speaker cloth and fleece, others just speaker cloth, fleece and fiberglass, etc. is any one of these better than the other?

2.ill most likely be using the walmart bondo resin. will i be ok with this?

3.ill be building the skeleton then adding the glass on to it. do i need to make the cuts smaller to compensate for the thickness of the fiberglass?

thanks

Yeah, I just did a quick search. The guys in my custum truck club get most of their supplies from Home Depot and sometimes Walmart.

another question...what ounce cloth do i need? im seeing from 3oz-20oz.

http://72.35.72.219/~library/28161/sub%20box/box1.jpg

http://72.35.72.219/~library/28161/sub%20box/box2.jpg

well, dove in head first. got the structure just about done. i got the resin(came with free hardener) from walmart for $12 and some of my fiberglass. i cant remember the oz, but its the kind you can tear with your hands. i got some stronger stuff coming in the mail for added support. will post more pics when done.

im going over all the places where each piece meets with a couple layers of fiberglass for a better seal. good idea?? also, anybody have any ideas on how to cut circles? all i have is a cheapo jig saw. thanks

Looks like a good start man. To cut circles all you need is to trace the circle where you want it, use a drill with atleast a 1/2" bit to make some starter holes and then use the jig saw to cut the circle out.

Since you're using a solid piece of wood for the front and sides why fiberglass them? You really onley need to use the fiberglass to form the rear of the enclosure like RS did on his build. To seal the joints hwere the wood comes together just use some caulking, the best for seal and adhesion is black windshield sealant but you can use cheap clear or white window caulking if wanted.

Did you choose your sub yet to measure the air space and depth?

yeah, i got 2 8's with a 3.35" mounting depth, so i got plenty of room to work with.

http://72.35.72.219/~library/28161/sub%20box/IMG00295-20111121-1528.jpg

http://72.35.72.219/~library/28161/sub%20box/IMG00294-20111121-1528.jpg

http://72.35.72.219/~library/28161/sub%20box/IMG00292-20111121-1527.jpg

almost done. fiberglassing scares the **** out of me(lol) so i put a back on it to make less area to fiberglass(see 3rd pic). my cuts arent exactly straight... i got some pretty nice gaps throughout. i think im just going to order the rubber in a spray can off the tv to paint the box with.lol

got it done!! ill post some pics soon. sounds great for two 8's. how long do i need to break them in? also, my amp doesnt have a soft cut off...so my subs pop when i cut the truck off. is this going to hurt the subs at all?? any way to stop it?? thanks

Congratulations. Looks like good work.

I can't really say anything about audio work. I've never taken an interest in it but I do plan to get a good audio system in my '69 Cougar since I have a ton of wasted trunk space and it's difficult to hear 6x9s over a 351 cubic foot engine. Couldn't really do much with the Sport Trac stereo since I keep the rear seats folded down almost always unless I have a rear passenger.

I always enjoy learning a new skill. Fiberglass is on the short list soon after getting better with welding. I figure if you can weld and form fiberglass, you can create most anything.

i LOVE cougars...and the cars are nice too! :thumbsup: i wouldnt mind learning to weld. and like you said, welding goes hand in hand with fiberglass. together i could kill some body work.

Looks good man !!!!

For others that wanna do this you could include the dimensions of the box.

I have a sub box that I built to go under the rear seat on the right side using the dimensions on the boxes they sell for our Trac's. I never installed it since I just had a baby and the seat get folded down to hook in the carseat base.

I'll post a picture of it....

Here's a picture of the one I made, not my best work but it sounded awesome when I hooked it up to the amp in my Show Truck ('87 Sonoma reg. cab)...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The side has a handle/ port that was a handle for a tool box. I added polyfill to soften the tightness of the airflow and make it sound alot better. I listen to all kinds of music
(Country mostly) and it sounded great for a old single 10".

i almost built one of those, but i wanted to be able to fold the seats down. as far as measurements...until i measure for the rest(im working from memory)the base is approx 33"L x 5"w and i want to say the top is 2-3". ill measure and post in the morning when i get off work.

i started by printing the template from the link below, then i transferred to cardboard and made adjustments as i saw fit (and even then i was still cutting and adjusting after i cut the wood for proper fit in the back). i went with 1/2" osb. it was cheap(and all lowes had in stock) and ok with me since this was my first box attempt and didnt feel like taking a big loss if i messed it up. im not sure about the air space, but my two 8's sound great and i havent had the urge to polyfill.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/BuildingaCustomerSubwooferEnclosure.htm

from the link, i follow the same concept for the resin/fiberglass, but i used a roll of fleece from walmart. i stretched it around all seams, applied resin, then i laid a couple of layers of fiberglass/resin on all the seams again. it may have been overkill, but i pretty damn sure i got a good seal!

im thinking about bed lining the box for color, but ill prolly leave it until i get bored with my idle hands.

Im thinking about this as a summer project, however i have never fiber glassed before! Any helpful links??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i searched all over google...but mostly just watched a bunch of vids on youtube(it helped me being able to see someone do it). its actually really simple, you lay down/"paint" a layer of resin then lay down some fiberglass cloth and dab more resin on it,trying to avoid air bubbles. the goal is to saturate the cloth. then repeat til satisfied. i read somewhere, that you want to get the fiberglass the same thickness as the wood youre using, but i didnt go that far with mine. i did a layer of fleece as a base then 2 layers of glass and its extremely solid.

oh yeah, maybe others had an easy time after tearing the fiberglass cloth with their hands, but i wish i wouldve cut my with straight lines. i had a **** ton of extra strings everywhere after dabbing on the resin layers, then it got mixed into my mixing cup, then got annoying.lol. i guess you have to find whatever works for you

Back