door latch "striker bolt bushing kit" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

door latch "striker bolt bushing kit"

toyfj40

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X/EB
while at OReillyAuto, I found Dorman#38424 'striker bolt bushing kit'
it is four of the plastic bushings ($4) that go ON the door-frame-stud where
the door latch catches... now, maybe I can get a tighter door !!
Mine were all gone, I had no idea the bushings existed until a friend mentioned it.
see: http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-15607-38424.aspx

see update below (post #8).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wrong I.D. Haven't seen door bushings available separately, only the complete striker assembly.

Thanks for the feedback. I just got them this afternoon.
The "schematic/drawing" at the counter appeared to apply to doors (also).
I will double-check before I open the package...
and post an update in a couple days...

edit: the Bulk option certainly is a better price / 0.20 each instead of $1

Not sure on the bulk option, shows the same 1/2" I.D. as the Dorman 38424.
I recall trying the Dorman kit a while back, fit wasn't close on my ST doors. GL

I use electrical tape. It works really good.

The two larger ones in the dorman kit fit the tailgate but not the doors. I ended up making my own at the shop I work at.

The bushings in that bushing kit didn't fit my doors either so I just bought the whole striker which was only a couple bucks more than the kit.

I made some expen$ive progress today... I'll try to summarize.

I'm new to PhotoBucket, this should be 7 images...
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/ExplorePix/StrikerBolt/

prior comments have been helpful, thanks.

Dorman Kit #38424, $4 at AutoZone/OReillys
http://DormanProducts.com/p-15607-38424.aspx
contains two-pair of plastic bushings, for the REAR-Explorer door latch.
one pair is slightly longer than the other, my '93 used the longer pair.
they are an OD,ID,length different from what is needed for the 4-doors.

Dorman Kit #38445, $8-9 at OReillys & AutoZone
http://DormanProducts.com/p-6998-38445.aspx
contains one Striker Bolt assembly for a door (bracket, washer, bolt, bushing)

Using a T-45 bit for each of the SIX bolts (4 doors + 2 rear),
I removed and cleaned-up, replaced all of mine... NICE !!
I was not pleased to spend some $40 for the parts, when the bushings
can be sold for $1 each and both Dorman & Parts-Store make a profit.

I sprayed some White-Lithium grease onto my door-latch mechanisms...
(mine are filthy, can Carb/Brake cleaner be used sparingly to clean these?)

I hope this helps...

Door Striker Bushings

I'm glad you guys brought up this issue. I thought I was going to have to do a hinge pin replacement or some other elaborate fix, I didn't know there is supposed to be bushings.
I bought the HELP kit 38424, and as others have experienced, the longer bushing fits the lift gate and the shorter one fits nothing. I happened to have some 1/2" plumbing pipe (the bendable red supply line) which I cut to fit. Now all the doors and lift gate work great.
Again, thanks to you guys.

some 1/2" plumbing pipe (the bendable red supply line)

does this mean that the 1/2" pipe will work on the 4-doors ?
instead of a bushing... ?

I'm not familiar with what "bendable red" is... can you give some more detail?
I'm sure the plastic-bushing will not last forever... D'oh the originals didn't.

thanks.

The supply line I'm talking about is left over from a residential construction site. The plumbers use it instead of galvanized or PVC because it is faster and easier to install. I can't read the info printed on the pipe because it was scraped off when they pushed it through the holes in the studs. Maybe a plumber can chip in and tell us what it is called. I used to be an electrician and I was forever picking up junk and bringing it home, because I "might" find a use for it. I've had this for years. Yes, the pipe did work for all the doors. The O.D. of the HELP bushings was too big for my doors to work properly, and this plastic pipe is somewhat smaller and works perfectly.

does this mean that the 1/2" pipe will work on the 4-doors ?
instead of a bushing... ?

I'm not familiar with what "bendable red" is... can you give some more detail?

1/2" PEX tubing

Thanks Marv, PEX is what it is called. I guess the main thing is to look around and be a little creative, you can find something that will substitute.

WOW this is the best news I have heard in a long time. I was thinking the pins were just worn. All the doors rattle and dont close tight. I will be searching my job sites for some of the tubing. I would have never thought there were bushings. I love this site!!!!

I found some 1/2 inch electrical conduit at work today and will try it tomorrow or Saturday. I dont know how it compares to the red pex plumbing pipe but seems pretty strong. Its flexible and also has metal wire inside the plastic for reinforcement. What size star bit will I need to get the striker bolt off and is it a total pain to get off?

Easy, trace the present striker location in pencil before removing.

EDIT- Please check YOUR Torx bit size, my Sport Trac stock strikers are T-50.
Reading the above post, there may be different sizes varying by model. Sorry.

Using a T-45 bit for each of the SIX bolts (4 doors + 2 rear),

Thanks swshawaii. Thats a good tip about marking its position before removing. I would have never thought of that and could of had a little trouble getting it lined back up. To be honest I will probably be able to see the clean spot left in all the dirt and funk build up on the truck (has not been washed in almost a year ).

Ran by Lowe's and picked up 5 feet of 1/2" Pex for less than $2 today.
Didn't take any time to slice it up with my PVC cutter.

Wow! It's like it took 100K miles off my Ex.

If your bushings are worn off, best $2 you can spend.

Now, does anyone know what size would work on the rear hatch?

I did my doors with some reinforced rubber hose just fount a size in my stockpile that fit the bolt semi snug and put em on there. the hose was a little thicker than the originals and the door didn't want to latch. I took the bolt back off with the hose on it and ground some off with the belt sander. Works like a charm and no more rattle. I do have to readjust my passenger side door after the hinge pin replacement last year I have a little wind noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new to this site. Great information, Thanks everyone

Back