I'm confused... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm confused...

Diarmuid

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I have a 1993 explorer limited, and it's been running extremely rich. I've replaced the MAF, throttle position, PCV, and plugs. It started when my breather box shattered for some strange reason. Since then it keeps getting worse. My current top speed with the pedal all the way down is 45 mph... Also, my gas mileage has dropped tremendously to 7 miles to a gallon. One last thing, I changed the oil two weeks ago and now it's black and smells of fuel. Anyone have any idea where I can begin? I really can't afford to take it to a mechanic right now,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a fuel injector problem. I would start with a good fuel injector cleaner. Then pull the plugs and see which one of the cylinders is burning rich, black. Check fuel pressure. You could pull the codes to see if anything obvious is throwing a code..

How about operating temperature? A stuck open thermostat will cause the described symptoms.

fuel pressure regulator bad diaphragm, leaking gas back through vacuum line to intake manifold. Causes extremely rich running, could have caused backfire that damaged filter box. Trace and disconnect line, check for presence of gas in line. If so, replace fuel pressure regulator.

Ditto on FPR. Its somewhat common for the diaphragm to rupture in which case you pull fuel right into the upper intake.

I have had a FPR fail without it rupturing the diaphragm. In my case, it just ran 60PSI fuel pressure which is double what your supposed to have. It made it run really rough. The exhaust smelled rich so I checked the FPR and knew what it was when I saw 60psi

If its a stuck injector, you can check that by pulling all the plugs and see which one is wet. If its multiple then I doubt its stuck injectors.

DannyBoy had an issue with his X where it was dumping fuel into all the cylinders all the time. He had a piggyback chip on his ECM and apparently it went bad. With the plugs out we could turn the key to the on position, wait 30 seconds and then turn over the motor and fuel shot out of the cylinders.

~Mark

Sounds like a fuel injector problem. I would start with a good fuel injector cleaner. Then pull the plugs and see which one of the cylinders is burning rich, black. Check fuel pressure. You could pull the codes to see if anything obvious is throwing a code..

How about operating temperature? A stuck open thermostat will cause the described symptoms.

I've dropped every kind of cleaner in it, and it still runs the same. My temp gauge is malfunctioning, saying that it's cold.

Ditto on FPR. Its somewhat common for the diaphragm to rupture in which case you pull fuel right into the upper intake.

I have had a FPR fail without it rupturing the diaphragm. In my case, it just ran 60PSI fuel pressure which is double what your supposed to have. It made it run really rough. The exhaust smelled rich so I checked the FPR and knew what it was when I saw 60psi

If its a stuck injector, you can check that by pulling all the plugs and see which one is wet. If its multiple then I doubt its stuck injectors.

DannyBoy had an issue with his X where it was dumping fuel into all the cylinders all the time. He had a piggyback chip on his ECM and apparently it went bad. With the plugs out we could turn the key to the on position, wait 30 seconds and then turn over the motor and fuel shot out of the cylinders.

~Mark

I was leaning towards fuel pressure regulator, the plugs are covered in soot. Today it's started giving off smoke from motor where the fpr is and gas fumes strong enough to burn my eyes.

Let us know if the fpr fixes the issue.

Will do, I'm hoping it does. I hate only being able to do 20-45 mphs lol. Other people don't enjoy it either :p

My truck had the same exact symptoms as yours and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. It's pretty easy to replace, it's just in a tight spot. It makes it 5x easier if you take the top radiator hose off at the thermostat housing.

Update: fpr fixed the majority of my problems. But the maf sensor is fried, good thing its under warranty!

Just in case you can't get the MAF replaced under warranty..

RockAuto has the BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1570265 MAF sensor in housing for $51. They have 3 left at that price...

Just passing it along, just in case..

~Mark

New MAF and it works like a charm. Minus the shattered breather box causing a massive vacuum issue. All that's left is to find a breather box that will fit it. Thanks everyone for the advice!

There's probably not a single ranger or explorer left with an in tact air box. What a poor design.

By airbox, do you mean the box that the air filter goes into? I think I have a couple spares here.

If someone needs one I could sell it cheap. (hows $10 + shipping sound)?

I see them at the yard around here all the time.. Now, the air tube between the MAF and TB is a different story.

~Mark

both of my boxes are busted upper and lower, seen many many others like that too over the years (was a tech at ford dealer for 5 years). I'm thinking with some duct tape and putty I can seal it up enough.

I've heard of those big intake tubes cracking? Is that really a problem? They look so thick.

both of my boxes are busted upper and lower, seen many many others like that too over the years (was a tech at ford dealer for 5 years). I'm thinking with some duct tape and putty I can seal it up enough.

I've heard of those big intake tubes cracking? Is that really a problem? They look so thick.

Its not the tube cracking, its them getting into the alternator. I've lost 2 tubes like that already BUT, I have no inner fender on the pass side so my box moves around a bunch and my air tube can eventually hit the alt pully.

I found a few like that at the yard when I grabbed mine (ones that hit the alternator) but its not like I looked at hundreds.

~Mark

By airbox, do you mean the box that the air filter goes into? I think I have a couple spares here.

If someone needs one I could sell it cheap. (hows $10 + shipping sound)?

I see them at the yard around here all the time.. Now, the air tube between the MAF and TB is a different story.

~Mark

Yeah, the breather box thingy where the air filter goes. Also, I'd like to buy one from you if you still have one to spare. I don't get paid till tomorrow though.

Back