First Generation Explorer Double DIN conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Generation Explorer Double DIN conversion

RustySJohnson

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I performed this mod way before I started to appreciate this forum and post my progress. This is just to let other's whom maybe interested in attempting such a mod, and that it is doable - of course anything is with the right amount of time and money, but I can offer advice for those whom may need some assistance. Best I can do is reverse engineer my project for your benefit.

This one's fun for the whole family.

Attachments

• 0205121424a.jpg
    0205121424a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3,205
  • 0205121424.jpg
    0205121424.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 6,863
  • 0205121421.jpg
    0205121421.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,754
  • 0205121425.jpg
    0205121425.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,660

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear Headrest Monitors

Couple pics of the rear headrest mounting

Attachments

• HeadrestTrim.jpg
    HeadrestTrim.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,467
  • Headrestcutout.jpg
    Headrestcutout.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,471
  • MarkedHeadrest.jpg
    MarkedHeadrest.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,467
  • HeadrestMounted.jpg
    HeadrestMounted.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,562

:thumbsup:Sweet job man!!!!:thumbsup:

You did a great job on trimming the dash panel too!! Looks pro!!

I know you had to trim the stock location above and below to get the opening big enough. My question is how and where did you support it?? Did you relocate the support beam?

Cutout

I only expanded above the stock location. The support beam and lower lip of the trim where the stereo mount was left in place. The vent ducting, vent opening, and 4x4 swtich were cut down and reduced to make room. I used Weld on to fabricate the plastic trim-work, but it needs some fiberglass reinforcement on the rear of the front trim.

Me and my buddy started a double din conversion on his 3rd gen Ranger. He moved halfway across the country, sold the truck and we never finished it.

1328911203.jpg

1328911200.jpg

Could you do a brief how-to?
What materials and tools do I need?

Whats the round thing to the left of the screen in the drivers side visor?

Whats the round thing to the left of the screen in the drivers side visor?

speaker

Could you do a brief how-to?
What materials and tools do I need?

The bad news: I didn't document this build like my other one's, I realize that. Sorry this is not as helpful as it should be. It's to demonstrate it can be done. The Explorer your looking was is totaled April 29th 2012.

The good news: I will be building another first gen explorer from the ground up and this is one of the first mods. I will document it much better.

The tools:
Close quarter hacksaw - Primarily
Die Grinder with cutting wheel - One hard to reach spot
Medium File
Utility knife
Scissors
Flat head screwdriver
Syringe and needles

The Materials:
Rustoleum - Specialty Paint for Plastic 12 oz - Textured Black
IPS Weld-on 3 and 4
IPS Weld-on 16
Silicone - Any, but I used black.
Fiberglass reinforced resin (for stregth)
Small C-clamps
Blue masking tape
Plastic container

This mod is not as hard as it looks. All the little parts can all be done in your living room in front of the TV on a small table. It is detailed, but not too bad. There was a lot of time the first time through just because there was a lot of time spent thinking about the best way to do it and if I wanted my vents to work or not. Doing this a second time will go much smoother and I can provide helpful pics.

It ended up being very sturdy, not fragile and it looks factory. The vents work. They can be aimed and closed. The ducting behind the stereo is reduced, and that's what the plastic container is for. I used a cheapy food container like what you'd put left over spaghetti in to build the recess in the venting and glued it with the silicone to seal the air ducting back again.

More to come...

Rusty

Ok, seems a little hard..I wish I could buy your old dash :) but I'm guessing you trashed it. But please add more pics if you can

speaker

The bad news: I didn't document this build like my other one's, I realize that. Sorry this is not as helpful as it should be. It's to demonstrate it can be done. The Explorer your looking was is totaled April 29th 2012.

The good news: I will be building another first gen explorer from the ground up and this is one of the first mods. I will document it much better.

The tools:
Close quarter hacksaw - Primarily
Die Grinder with cutting wheel - One hard to reach spot
Medium File
Utility knife
Scissors
Flat head screwdriver
Syringe and needles

The Materials:
Rustoleum - Specialty Paint for Plastic 12 oz - Textured Black
IPS Weld-on 3 and 4
IPS Weld-on 16
Silicone - Any, but I used black.
Fiberglass reinforced resin (for stregth)
Small C-clamps
Blue masking tape
Plastic container

This mod is not as hard as it looks. All the little parts can all be done in your living room in front of the TV on a small table. It is detailed, but not too bad. There was a lot of time the first time through just because there was a lot of time spent thinking about the best way to do it and if I wanted my vents to work or not. Doing this a second time will go much smoother and I can provide helpful pics.

It ended up being very sturdy, not fragile and it looks factory. The vents work. They can be aimed and closed. The ducting behind the stereo is reduced, and that's what the plastic container is for. I used a cheapy food container like what you'd put left over spaghetti in to build the recess in the venting and glued it with the silicone to seal the air ducting back again.

More to come...

Rusty

I have to ask what is the syringe and needles for ??

Back