Another OHV M90 build | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,585

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was there a noticeable difference when you replaced? I have been experiencing cooler air down here which is leading me to believe my radiator isn't particularly doing a 100% job. Figure it might be worth to do that as well.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I didn't notice any difference.

I think my real problem is my weak cylinder. I have a feeling this is throwing off my wideband o2 reading.
James is tuning based on the Wideband O2 readings he is getting from me, and the weak cylinder is making the exhaust show more fuel in the exhaust than there really is. At least I'm hoping this is the case.

Yes Tim, I can hardly wait!
Life's getting in the way though.
I have to be at my sons football game Friday at 7:30. This could be his last game of his high school career, so its a big deal for him.
On Saturday, I have a wedding to work, so I have to be there for 5:30pm.

I'm thinking after the football game, I'll pull the rad, and do as much as I can till I wear out. This way, no one gets dripped on while under the truck.

Then, Saturday morning you can come over and we can finish up?

I picked up the power steering pulley puller and I have lots of cardboard so it wont be cold on the cement. I cant think of anything else I forgot.

I can hardly wait! I think the hard part will be separating the motor from the trans, and the starter. You think this stuff is easy, so I think we will have the motor out on Saturday.

Sound like a plan?

yup! i was going to say, if you yank the rad, and drain it, pull the supercharger off that will be perfect! the starter isnt that hard, and the only two bolts that are kind of a pita are the top bell housing bolts, but they shouldnt be tooooooo bad with the charger off. if you want, you can even leave the hoses on the motor, they wont be in the way at all. that and unbolt your power steering pump and zip tie it up someplace. if you want, and depending on how long your sons game is, i really dont have too much problems even coming there later on friday if you wanted to still do it that way.

Its a plan!
I think your help on Saturday will get the job done.
I just wouldn't want to be splashing coolant and **** on anyone working underneath. Doing the wet stuff, and cleaning up any coolant the night before will make it less painful under the truck the next day.

Then Sunday I can yank the heads off so the machine shop will have them Monday morning. My oil showed up today, and the headers are slated for delivery tomorrow.

The only other concern I have is getting the EGR assembly off the exhaust manifold.

hmm.. makes me want to run a compression test now and send new logs to James. thanks Dono.

hmm.. makes me want to run a compression test now and send new logs to James. thanks Dono.

Phix, a quick and easy way to check for a weak cylinder is to disable your fuel pump, and crank your motor over.

What I found was that every time the motor hit the compression stroke on my weak cylinder, the engine would turn over quite a bit faster. Also the engine shaking, and odb2 engine codes saying misfire on the same cylinder with low compression kind of told me I had to do something.

LMAO on the CEL codes, ha thought possibly there were none.

3 days!
also, figured Id post a pic of the sohc pan girdle with bolts since I had it apart again anyway.

Attachments

• headers2.jpg
    headers2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 225
  • pan girdle w bolts.jpg
    pan girdle w bolts.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 220

3 days!
also, figured Id post a pic of the sohc pan girdle with bolts since I had it apart again anyway.

Those are purdy!!do they look like they will fit?

pretty!

and as for

dont worry, we'll make it fit

peg.jpg

:D

I'll know if they are close when I get home tonight and compare them against the heads and manifolds at home. As long as its close :hammer:

even still, they will be on the motor when we stab it in. we can always manipulate them in place easier when the motor is on the stand vs in the truck. they did come with gaskets, yes?

Yup, gaskets came with the headers.
I also have another set that came with the engine rebuild gasket kit.

I'll have to look at which look like the best quality.

Headers will be an exact replacement of the manifolds.
I have to question just how much better these shorty headers will flow though. There really doesnt seem to be a whole lot of difference between these and the manifolds (Specially the passenger side).
They will sure look good on the motor while its still on the stand though (A bit of sarcasm there) :rolleyes:.

I have to remind myself that I have done everything else to this motor, so I definately might as well go all the way.

Headers will be an exact replacement of the manifolds.
I have to question just how much better these shorty headers will flow though. There really doesnt seem to be a whole lot of difference between these and the manifolds (Specially the passenger side).
They will sure look good on the motor while its still on the stand though (A bit of sarcasm there) :rolleyes:.

I have to remind myself that I have done everything else to this motor, so I definately might as well go all the way.

I wanna see a pic of your stock manifolds .mine look NOTHING like headers

I think this kinda illustrates what I mean. Im sure the tubes are a bit better than just dumping in to the stock exhaust, but they sure are 'shorty' on this side.

Attachments

• header - passenger2.jpg
    header - passenger2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 219

here's the drivers side. Kind of a crap angle, but I wanted to show how they looped the tube closest to the collector. At least that makes more sense.

There really is no way they could have made stock replacements any other way, as its pretty tight on the passenger side.

ps. That stupid gunky gelled oil (Almost a grease) is allover the garage floor and my hands to get these pics. I just wanted to mention that so you could really appreciate these pics.

Attachments

• header - drivers.jpg
    header - drivers.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 225

there is a big difference with them. they do breath way better then a stock paper weight. oh, and as for the gunky gelled grease like oil, you have my sympathy.

There's a pretty big weight savings at least. Im sure the headers will flow better than stock.

I pulled the smaller pulley off the supercharger and loaded the tune for it yesterday. I figured better to do it now, and make sure there are no issues. Everythings fine there, so thats one less variable when the motor goes in.

Back