Black Ice equals bent rim, axle, shackle, u-bolts and busted rearend gears... WTH !!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Ice equals bent rim, axle, shackle, u-bolts and busted rearend gears... WTH !!!

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
So after getting my Trac back on the road I hit a patch of black ice on my way to work this morning at 4:30a.m.. The ass end kicked out and fish tailed a couple times to swing back and smack the right rear into a 8" tall curb which is now completely busted.

I drove the rest of the way up the road to work, I looked underneath but it was too dark. After work I could see the damage. I bent the rim, axle, shackle (which I just replaced), u-bolts, busted something inside the rear end because there's now a clunking when I come to a stop and sit in drive.

Guess I'll be driving Carol's Mountaineer for awhile again and contacting my insurance again because this is gonna cost $$$.

Here's a picture of the wheel that's bent and the shackle...

picture.php

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, it could always be worse. WHen I hit the curb I thought it was gonna fli[ over for sure but it just jumped the truck up in the air about two feet.

I was going up hill around a slight turn and the ass end just kicked out. A couple people at work told me they hit black ice this morning too but luckily only slid alittle.

I need to get the steel bumper on so I can weigh down the rear some, too light.

Ouch, I'm glad that you're alright!

A similar thing happened to me right after I got my X back in 04, only on the front. It happened when I took an off-ramp in Springs, and I ended up with a cracked rim, bent passenger axle housing, bend radius arm, and cracked the passenger side axle drop bracket... So you can guess what that cost. :(

Man, that sucks Jerry. Hopefully you spilled coffee on yourself or something so we can go ahead sigh a big relief knowing that the "bad things come in threes" thing is over. Really hate to see that.

Luckily my com deductible is zero so I don't have to pay for this. I'm looking around for a shop that rebuild rearends because from what my neighbor/ landlord (autobody/ frame guy/ mechanic) says mine is toast.

I know I need axles, and gears. Hopefully they'll replace all the bearings and seals in the rearend too. It hit hard, the pictures don't show how bad it is.

I just contacted James over at RLC welding to see about him building me a rear steel bumper, I just don't have the time to do it or I'd love to.

That's unbelievable. As always, the main concern is nobody got hurt.
Your luck can only change for the better, right? Keep the faith Jerry!

OMG you still have ice up there? Glad she didn't go greasy side up Jerry! If you didn't have a limited slip now would be the time to "slip" one in. Glad you're okay, as it is.

NO! Glad you are ok... the one freak day we get snows and gets cold and you hit black ice. There was an 8.8 on CL for 150 bucks, just saw it. I think it was 3.73 though...

def agree with everyone else, it couldve been worse and you couldve got hurt. youre a pretty determined guy so im sure you will get it all worked out.

speaking of bad weather, there were pictures on the news today of funnel clouds forming out here in northern cali. crazy rain and hail are on the way, but it should make for some good powder if we end up going to the mountains to snowboard this weekend. i just hate driving in the snow!

keep us updated on your repairs bro.

Thanks guys. Steve, when it hit the curb I thought it was gonna go ove because it hit hard and bounced up in the air but luckily went the other way since I had the wheels turned into it.

I have Limited Slip with 4.10's already, depending on prices I may go with a locker. I was reading about Superior axles that have a unilug hub for both 4.5 and 5.5" patterns so I'd be set when I do my SAS, SOA and not have to use adapters.

Ya, we're still getting snow, ice and hail up here.

Oh the hazards of driving in pennsylvania... at least your family wasn't with you. I'm sure mine would have freaked out. My wife says that in PA, if you go off the road, you end up in someone's roof. Where as here in Indiana, you'll just end up in a ditch. Sorry to hear about your just-repaired truck getting banged up again.

Man you can't seem to catch a break! Glad you are ok though.

15 years without an accident and I get into two within a month. Neither were my fault but still. I pride myself on my driving record since I'm a Professional Truck Driver by trade with over 800k+ safe driving miles hauling HazMat (that's just in the big truck) probably another 400k+ in a passenger vehicle. Silver lining is my deductible is zero so I'll be getting this for the price of my monthly ins. payments, finally get something out of all that money I've paid into it. Not the way I want to but can't help it.

Wow man sorry to hear about this !
good luck on repairs !!

I went to the dealer on Friday after work and priced parts to rebuild the complete rear end, price for parts including axles was $1,700. $650 of which was for both axles, I can get these and have stronger axles, no more C-Clips and dual bolt pattern axles for $525 for the complete kit. Thnkas to Stang5lgt and his build on his Mounty, seen here... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303902&page=26

Ultimate 88 Kit by Yukon here... http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=10255

I'm looking at replacing the Limited Slip as well because I'm pretty sure something in that setup is messed up from the impact. I'll probably get the Aussie Locker like Lono has. Ok Lono you always offer help to others wanting to do this so what special tools do I need, etc...?

Glad you're okay. I know about the ice. The piece of my taillight that was embedded in a utility pole near my house finally fell out and I don't have to look at it every day.

O.k., sad day. Had to actually take my Trac to someone else to work on it, it'll be gone for atleast abotu week as of now (will know more in the next couple days).

Took it upto Kunsak's after work today, they work on mostly trucks but do tons of drag, modified, sprint, super stock and stock cars so they know their Shiiii... about drivetrains.

I'll post more when I get the prognoses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a couple pictures to update...

picture.php

picture.php

The right side axle shaft is bent, right side carrier bearing and race are worn bad especially the race, the spider gears are chipped and need replaced, the clucth packs are worn out, shackles are bent, wheels and tire are screwed. Claims Adjuster is supposed to show up in the morning to check out the truck.

I'll find out tomorrow when he installs the new axle shafts if the axle housing itself is bent. Hopefully not.

Back