Trouble codes Mass air flow sensor, fuel pump circuit open and hard fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble codes Mass air flow sensor, fuel pump circuit open and hard fault

kaarsheim

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XL
My check engine light has been coming on occasionally on my 1992 Explorer 4.0 liter. When the cel comes on and I come to a stop sign the engine stalls out. If I give it gas the engine stays running, but sometimes I hear a knocking sound while giving it gas. I did the paperclip KOEO test and initially I get the code 111 then I get the codes 157, 158 and 543. When I tried the engine running test I get the codes 998 and 157, but then after applying the break the engine stalls out before I can complete the test. I see that 157 and 158 have to do with the Mass Air Flow sensor voltage, 543 Fuel pump circuit open battery to PCM, and 998 Hard fault present. So I am thinking either the mass air flow sensor may be broken or it could be a wiring issue.

Any advise on how to trouble shoot further or if I'm even on the right track?

Didn't get any responce, but in case you have a similar problem, I disconnected the wire harness from the mass airflow sensor and checked voltage while runnning and was getting around 6 volts. So i figured it must be a bad mass airflow sensor, so I replaced that and it seems to have worked so far.

Back