Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
The finished project

clear3_zps9d93a513.jpg

I got a 99 XLT for parts and thaught it would be a good oportunity to cut up a hood to make a cowl for my 97 XLT. Basicaly, we figured out how wide to make the cowl and added 3" on both sides of the back (by the windshield) and 1" on both sides of the front. I added an extra inch so I would have plenty of room to cut it down to match up with my hood and make it a 2 - 2 1/4" rise.

Picture0827121212_1.jpg

After getting the chunk Of the hood I wanted, I cut the frame away so that I could bend the sides down. I did leave a bulk of the frame under it for structure. I cut relief cuts every few inches down the sides so the curve would stay in it. A little heat from a blow torch and the sheet metal bent nicely to where I wanted it.

Picture0827121211_2.jpg

Once I get it trimmed up and ready to go on I am going to cut the sheet metal out from my hood to make this a funtional cowl hood. Keep in mind, It will be cut down about 3/4", and I will remove my bug deflecter for the couple obviouse reasons. Once it is welded down and all the body work is done, I am going to paint the top of the cowl section a deep gray - like the grill - with rounded corners in the paint. I will update this as I move forward with it!

Picture0827121211_1.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve this, or any ideas on how to mod my intake to make better use of this please let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I would go wider and lower with the cowl. I just think that looks out of place (yes, I am visualizing it bondoed and painted). Maybe take a cowl out to the edge of the grill and make that rise about half what you have, maybe only an inch. The cowl would still be obvious and give it a meaner line on the hood, but it wouldn't seem like it was shouting, "Look, I've got a cowl hood."

Granted, it's a little late for that and I know it isn't what you were looking for.

As far as an intake... I wouldn't bother. You are already getting much cooler air from your fender. The cowl will work fine for airflow past the engine and radiator.

I am thinking about narrowing the front slightly to follow up from the grill line. I looked at that when I was figuring the dimensions. As far as height goes, a 2" rise will seem subtle with the sides out at a little angle like they are and it will look a little wider. when you go too wide it looks "off" in my opinion. Im not going straight to the hood with it, I want a nice curve from the top corner to the hood. also, It is not going to be as tall as it looks in the pic - I havnt trimmed it down yet. Im only painting it dark gray to put some color on the truck after my bug deflecter is gone.

I do appreciate your input. It helps me to put things in line to finish it up.

Meh, I'm sure it will turn out fine. It's your truck, not mine, so don't worry too much about my input on it, your opinion is most important. If you like that better, then by all means, definitely go with it. Pus, once you get the bondo on and everything, that will help things out quite a bit, and it will probably look a lot different once you are done with trimming and fitting. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't put down anyone who puts in the work and doesn't half ass things anyhow.

But yeah, like I said, I wouldn't bother with doing an intake there. You can already get plenty of cooler air through your fender. Use the cowl for airflow over the engine and radiator. I imagine increasing cooling efficiency would be pretty important in your neck of the woods anyway.

Meh, I'm sure it will turn out fine. It's your truck, not mine, so don't worry too much about my input on it, your opinion is most important. If you like that better, then by all means, definitely go with it. Pus, once you get the bondo on and everything, that will help things out quite a bit, and it will probably look a lot different once you are done with trimming and fitting. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't put down anyone who puts in the work and doesn't half ass things anyhow.

But yeah, like I said, I wouldn't bother with doing an intake there. You can already get plenty of cooler air through your fender. Use the cowl for airflow over the engine and radiator. I imagine increasing cooling efficiency would be pretty important in your neck of the woods anyway.

I started on this idea because of the added heat of headers under the hood, so cooling is definatly the goal. I like the look of cowl hoods, but functionality is key.

Looks good, nice work!

Finaly got into the body work for this!

Here is the cutout for the cowl to make it functional.

hood%20hole_zps9341eb76.jpg

After trimming the cowl and welding it to the hood, we have been shaping it up with fiberglass and bondo to get a nice smooth curve to follow the hood.

hood%20weld_zps52d432a7.jpg

hood%20bondo_zps1e73d03f.jpg

We should have paint on it tomorow or the next day :D
More pics to come !

Got it in primer

primer3_zps9303e7d9.jpg

primer2_zps92dd0fce.jpg

primer_zps36bc740a.jpg

looks good

Thanks guys! It will be painted today :D

As far as primer goes, thats my brothers department lol. We will sand that down smooth, paint it the factory white and paint the center of the cowl a mettalic grey, then clear coat. And knowing my brother he will buff it all day tomorow lol.

More pics coming!

We put the white paint down.

Here is the cowl being taped off.

tape_zpsd7edabea.jpg

Here is the Dark mettalic grey with the pinstripe. I wanted it to look more intentional than just painting the cowl.

paint3_zps80124d98.jpg

Here it is clear coated :D

paint2_zps4c93570c.jpg

paint_zps072f817b.jpg

Once it is buffed out and on my filthy truck, I will post final pics.

Thankyou :D
I cant wait to get it on the truck now, im freekin excited lol

As I told you before, this thing looks sweet! I love the lines it has and how it curves. Makes it much more professional looking rather than just thrown on like a lot of people's do.

Looking forward to seeing it man! How much do you expect it to affect engine bay temperature?

I dont have a way to tell a difference really, but with headers and living in FL, Ill take whatever it has to offer!

Alex, did you expect ME to just throw something together? haha ;)

wOw jstcruz, I have only seen a few cowl hoods on 2nd gens and this is by far my Favorite!! Years ago I asked an auto body place if they could do something like that, they had no interest. ExplorerExpress sells a fiberglass cowl hood but that isnt something I want either. You need to produce these!!!!

Great Work!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wOw jstcruz, I have only seen a few cowl hoods on 2nd gens and this is by far my Favorite!! Years ago I asked an auto body place if they could do something like that, they had no interest. ExplorerExpress sells a fiberglass cowl hood but that isnt something I want either. You need to produce these!!!!

Great Work!!!!

x2 That would be pretty sweet!

Back