White residue around the plastic thermostat hosing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White residue around the plastic thermostat hosing

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Did my oil change today and notice white residue around the plastic thermostat housing. It comes from the connection between the upper and lower parts. It’s around the thermostat housing and around the rest of the plastic part that the other coolant hoses connect, not sure what it’s called.

Any idea if just changing the thermostat gasket and torque the rest of the bolts will solve the problem? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the quick reply!!

Do I need to buy all the parts mentioned in your first link with the exception of the sensor or just replace the o-rings? Why I need to change the sensor? Thanks

Your old sensor o-ring seal is compressed and will not seal in the new housing.
I've read the replacement is 2.5mm thick with a 9mm I.D. Viton type o-ring
but I couldn't find any locally. Do NOT attempt to use teflon tape or sealant.
I did, and the sensor leaked a week later. Parts listed should be correct. GL

Sensor O-Rings
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=TEM407105_0451843318

Sensor Retainer Clips
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...erature-Sensor-Clip/_/R-NDP7305034_0437476079
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-67898-800-019.aspx?origin=keyword

The absolute best fix for this problem is to replace it all. Both upper and lower housing, o-rings, thermostat and the coolant temp sensor with a new o-ring also. Just go to the dealer and get all the parts and save yourself headaches later. This is the voice of experience talking................pay attention!

Go to the dealer and be prepared to spend lots of money for parts you can source on ebay for about 1/10th of what the dealer will charge you. There's a reason lots of us call them the stealer! HAH. Seriously do a search for the parts on ebay or Google and you'll find them for much less. $52 at O'reilly Auto Parts, $47 on ebay and that's just 2 places I just looked at.

Thermostat housing replacement

Thank you for the quick reply!!

Do I need to buy all the parts mentioned in your first link with the exception of the sensor or just replace the o-rings? Why I need to change the sensor? Thanks

Yep, buy the entire housing, the lower 'O' ring and a new temp sending unit. Do not go to the dealer! Shop the internet or your parts store. Take a look at the links swshawaii posted. He's on the money.:D

Thanks Bob. Unless it's an emergency I avoid ANY dealer. Must say that exchanging parts, return
freight, and warranties can be a PITA when ordering on line. Our dealers are DOUBLE Amazon's prices
and charge a 20% restocking fee for any returns. (No returns on electrical parts, no exception) :mad:

Thermostat housing replacement

How right you are. When I did my thermostat housing I dropped the wire retainer clip for the temp sending unit and I could not find it. Went to the dealer and list price was $10 but the parts dude took pity on me and let me have it for $6. I can't imagine how much they want for a t-stat housing and associated pieces.

Happy New Year or as you say Hau’oli Makahiki Hou :D

Call the dealer just to see how crazy they are - $250 for the parts.

Advance have the Dorman 902-860 kit that have all the parts except for the sensor for $85 and the sensor for $15.
http://dormanproducts.com/advance/p-53410-902-860.aspx?year=2005&make=MERCURY&model=MOUNTAINEER&engine=V6%2520%252D%25204%252E0L%2520%2528245%2520CID%2529%253A%2520FLEX%253A%2520FI%253A%2520N%253A%2520K&parttypeid=226&parttype=Coolant%2520Thermostat%2520Housing
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_coolant-temperature-sensor-bwd_15970002-p

Anyone used these parts? The dealer recommended changing the lower hose that goes to the water pump. The hose cost $15, do I need to change it and if yes is there a cheaper option then the dealer?

OEM parts for this repair are HIGHLY recommended. Guaranteed fit is one reason.
Only four parts are needed for this, the thermostat and bypass hose are optional.
Unless it's an emergency, check Amazon or RockAuto for the best pricing. Good luck.

Motorcraft RH148 Thermostat Housing
Motorcraft DY1004 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Motorcraft RG614 Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing Gasket
Fel-Pro 35617 Thermostat Seal

Motorcraft RT1167 190F and 88C Thermostat
Motorcraft KM3269 Bypass Hose

Depending on how much of a hurry you are in check ebay. I found an RH148 housing there for $39. It's where I got mine. Genuine part. Get your sending unit from Advance. I believe my t-stat housing came with the 'O' ring. No need to throw more $$$ at it than necessary. Save your money for important stuff like beer. ;-)

See the above post. Redundancy must be my middle name.

Thank you for the parts list swshawaii

Do i need to buy the termostat hosing RH147?

Thank you very much for all your help so far!!

I decided to order the RH147 just in case. Got almost all the parts from Rock Auto with the exception of the bypass hose and the thermostat seal with 2 day delivery for $110, I found a 5% discount code online :)

I’ll buy the hose from the dealer and the gasket from Advance. My coolant is 8k miles old so I’ll try to save it. Can I buy Peak or Prestone long life coolant?

Glad to help in any way, yours should be a pretty quick fix. The earlier 4.0 SOHC
upper intakes were very close to the sensors making access somewhat difficult.
Important not to overtighten the six housing bolts. Torque spec is only 89 inch/lbs
or about 7.4 ft/lbs. Coolant should be fine at 8K. Keep us posted on your progress. :thumbsup:

I can't put in the retaining clip for the coolant sensor. How hard I need to push it? It doesn't want to go In.

Install the clip so each leg straddles around the slot in the middle.
If incorrect and using force, it will get bent or fly off. Been there. :mad:

DSC03023.jpg

coolant temp sensor clip

and make sure your sensor is all the way in the hole. BTW, clips are $6 at the dealer so be careful not to let it fly off. I know from experience.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Done :) i was putting the clip the wrong way. Thank you for the picture!!
The install was easy. Thank you very much for all your help!!

Back