• Register Today It's free!

4 Wheel Drive Issues on 91 XLT

Blue91Ex

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hello, I bought a 91 explorer from a friend of mine and one of the major problems it has is the 4 wheel drive. I didn't test it durring the test drive but he said that while you can shift into and use 4wd, it makes loud noises when you shift into and out of it. Does anyone know whether this is a problem with the switches or the transfer case? I dont have the truck yet to take pictures as he was nice enough to go get it inspected for me, but just in case anyone might have had this happen, any ideas to what might be going wrong? and if it is teh transfer case, how much would it cost to replace?
Thanks.

I'd prove out the shift motor first. I digress. Pressing the button on the dash sends an input to a logic box over the left wheel-well. The logic box commands a motor at the transfer case to shift in and out of 4x4, as well as low range.

There are known issues with the electric motor at the transfer case, notably a rubber stop that tends to degrade. There are many articles here about how to fix that, it's easy.

After that, you could rebuild or replace the transfer case. Depends on your abilities and tools. Also will depend on corrosion... I am in Minnesota, I see you are in Maine. That means you might have some rust issues. Anyway, swapping a transfer case is as simple as pulling the driveshafts and unbolting it from the transmission. Could be simple, could be a nightmare if one of your driveshaft bolts has rustwelded itself.

Cost is in the labor, and the cost of a used transfer case, depending on your access to junkyards. Good time to do U-Joints.

thanks for the info! I'll take a closer look at that when he comes back with it (offered to get it inspected for me since the inspection runs out in 2 weeks) and yea i thought there might be a tutorial on here for it (seems there is for everythign which is awesome) i just wasnt sure where to look first.i figure since has had to do so little maintenance on it so far in its life that it might be coming time for a lot of the common weak points in the 1st gens to break (door handles etc work but i know now why they break so easily, man they feel flimsy, wasnt expecting it ha) so yea ill look into it, thanks!

Back