• Register Today It's free!

Sport Turbo Hose Issues

renzmari

Reaction score
City, State
Hackensack NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hi all, first post I just would like to be informative. Ex lost acceleration on monday afternoon while coming on to highway heard loud vacuum sound in cabin while Ex merged on to roadway slowly and eventually got up to 50mph.
Tried flooring it several times with same results even at highway speeds. Dealer service department had already closed so I called my salesman who was nice enough to assist me in getting an appointment today at noon to remedy problem. Technician found CAC hose loose to turbo he cleaned it retorqued the CAC hose and road tested the Sport and I was on my way after 40 or so minutes. Sport had 2539 miles on it when it happened and it ran ok until I was able to bring it to dealer all done under warranty. I just wanted to say thanks to the dealer in Butler New Jersey to my salesman Steve for a great buying experience and for the aftercare and to the service department for their quick response. So far everything about the Sport has been great even with the minor glitch. I did not put full name of dealer or people I have dealt with there because I am not familiar with the posting rules.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good deal to get it going again that quick !

loose turbo boost and it's almost like driving a 6 cylinder huh ?!? :)

the early turbo diesels did a lot of that from mist getting on the cac tubes and the high boost just pushing it off...

some got into the habit of carrying a spare hose clamp and screwdriver to be ready for it :)

Worse then driving a plain v6, it's like driving a low compression v6, i'd guess it's more like 225hp w/o the boost

Good deal to get it going again that quick !

loose turbo boost and it's almost like driving a 6 cylinder huh ?!? :)

the early turbo diesels did a lot of that from mist getting on the cac tubes and the high boost just pushing it off...

some got into the habit of carrying a spare hose clamp and screwdriver to be ready for it :)

Any idea what size clamp would be needed? I am already used to carrying an alternator belt in the 911 for emergency roadside repairs, and this sounds to be an even easier fix...

...I just wanted to say thanks to the dealer in Butler New Jersey to my salesman Steve for a great buying experience and for the aftercare and to the service department for their quick response. So far everything about the Sport has been great...

Welcome to the forum, renzmari! Thanks for that awesome feedback about your experience. If you'd like to make it "official" in our system, send me a PM with your name, phone number, and any information you'd like me to include about Butler. I'll be happy to document your feedback for you. :)

Crystal

Turbo Hose

Took a friend to lunch today,who owns a Porsche SUV,, his second one. Well if you ride with him he likes to show you how well the Porsche performs, speed AND brakes. LOL

So as we leave his business I do the expected and step on the ExSport. About half way through second gear the front turbo hose blows off,,,ya know your face will hit the windshield even with the seat belts on, ha ha. He was impressed until that point. We both knew what it was the moment it happened,,car guys.

I call my dealer, Treadwell Ford in Mobile Ala, and he says being her over. Service writer Lester Calhoun put the Sport up on the rack and had a tech fix us up. Great service.

In all not a bad lunch hour.

Best, Red13Sport

Took a friend to lunch today,who owns a Porsche SUV,, his second one. Well if you ride with him he likes to show you how well the Porsche performs, speed AND brakes. LOL

So as we leave his business I do the expected and step on the ExSport. About half way through second gear the front turbo hose blows off,,,ya know your face will hit the windshield even with the seat belts on, ha ha. He was impressed until that point. We both knew what it was the moment it happened,,car guys.

I call my dealer, Treadwell Ford in Mobile Ala, and he says being her over. Service writer Lester Calhoun put the Sport up on the rack and had a tech fix us up. Great service.

In all not a bad lunch hour.

Best, Red13Sport
Likely if you had done this while being alone, nothing would have gone wrong.;)
There must be a problem with the way Ford has fastened these hoses. I think this is about the 3rd or 4th such incident.

Peter

nothing like showing off.....
this sums up my feeling about my Sport...
looks great, runs great, except the quality flaws agravate the snot out of you

That's why all the big dragsters have 'test and tune' at the local tracks...

they stress them before they get on the big stage to find and fix the weakest link !

ATTN:2013 Sport Owners

I've read on here where a couple of folks have had the PSI side turbo hose blow off. Today I was performing the first oil change and checked the hoses while I was under there and found the front hose to almost be off. By hand you could remove the hose without loosing the clamp, Im suprised it hadnt blown off already. I pushed back on and tightened the clamp which was knowwhere neat tight enough. The rear seemed to be plenty tight which is a good thing being it would be a PIA to get to. I would suggest having your dealer check this as it would be fun to try and attempt to reattach this on the side of the road.

Come on you UAW folks, put another turn or two on those clamps! Maybe its not in there contract but for 3 turns instead of the needed 5.:thumbsup:

Maybe you have a Monday build. Anytime a human touches something, its a chance of a mistake

Maybe you have a Monday build. Anytime a human touches something, its a chance of a mistake

Being Im the 3rd or 4th person on this forum, which respresents Im sure a small percentage of sport owners, thats had this happen or found a loose hose it sounds like a precedural issue. The pnumatic wrenches that they tighten these with are either set at not enough torque or revolutions to get these tight enough.

Not a real big issue to me personally as I know humans make errors but Id hate to be passing a big rig on a two lane and have a hose blow off and this thing fall on its face. Its things like this that are getting negative plublicity with the EB's in the news. Heck Im a FORD fan and a shareholder, I want to see them succeed.

You are correct it could very well happen at a bad time. And when its your vehicle it is a big deal.
According to a post earlier approx. 66K new Explorers sold for 2013, how many are Sports, IDK
Total Sales Explorers Only

60,687(2010)
135,704(2011)
164,187(2012)
66,637(2013-YTD)

But its good you posted up as a warning for others:thumbsup:

Has happened to me twice. But hey, it's not my first car with a little problamo.

OK, I'm not familiar with turbos, this is a new world for me... where would I look for this at?
Anyone got a pic?

sudden loss of power 2013 explorer sport

I may have just experienced the same / similar problem driving back from Houston to Dallas on IH45. Normal oomph just went away. No CEL or warnings showed. Hope that my problem is something simple like a loose hose / tube. Dropped vehicle off at Park Cities Ford svc dept. today (Saturday) so that they could look at it first thing Monday. Car has 5,200 miles and has run like a champ - until Friday... Getting trip average 22.5 mpg at 75mph in Texas July heat.

I may have just experienced the same / similar problem driving back from Houston to Dallas on IH45. Normal oomph just went away. No CEL or warnings showed. Hope that my problem is something simple like a loose hose / tube. Dropped vehicle off at Park Cities Ford svc dept. today (Saturday) so that they could look at it first thing Monday. Car has 5,200 miles and has run like a champ - until Friday... Getting trip average 22.5 mpg at 75mph in Texas July heat.
Welcome to the Forum mesquitethorn.:wavey:
I guess that the clamps on the hoses just are not tight enough.
To help members address any future concerns/questions you may have, it would help if you added the model and year to your profile so that it will show in the left margin where your name appears. Some issues are unique to some models and it would save you having to write it in every post.

Peter

power loss problem fixed - CAC tube re-attached

Happy to say that my 2013 Explorer Sport's power loss problem was CAC tube coming loose and nothing more serious. Park Cities Service did a great job of evaluating and fixing the problem.

Good to hear --- sounds like we all should tighten up a bit :)

especially before we get a tune that boost the boost !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone post a picture of where this is or describe it?

Back