Need help finding part number for intake manifold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help finding part number for intake manifold.

AGreenSmudge

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Alright guys, I was replacing the upper and lower intake gaskets today and had everything back together only to find that the tube that comes out of the side of the intake tube from just behind the MAF sensor that runs around under the throttle body and has a rubber plastic piece that comes up and attaches to the tube coming out of the base where the idle air control valve is. The rubber plastic piece had torn wide open and as a result the air it draws in for idle doesn't come through the MAF and the engine won't idle as a result.

I cannot find any reference to this part or a part number. Not even on ford parts.com

Here is a pic I stole off of GIS and I circled the piece I'm talking about in the upper middle and the tube I'm talking about is down in the middle coming out from under the plenum tube.

i-LHq6DgQ-L.jpg

OK, II got it fixed.

I was searching like a fiend for a number for this part when II decided to do what any intelligent person would and looked at the part itself.

i-9H3QhpG-L.jpg

Tada!

II took the number to our local Ford dealership and explained what I was looking for. The parts guy searched for a few minutes and responded with a "Holy crap!" He searched a little more and sighed then told me that unfortunately he couldn't sell me just the boot, it had to be the boot with the little 15" plastic tube it attaches to that connects to the intake tube. It was $235.63.

I said "You're kidding."

He replied, "Nope." with an embarassed look on his fface.

IIt told him I'd try a few things and would get back to him if I had no luck. So we ran down to O'reilly's for my gf to get some parts for her jeep and talked to one of the guys there. He suggested a large vacuum hose, but I'd already tried it and it wouldn't make the bend without kinking. So he suggested a piece of pre bent heater/coolant hose...

(Etherial music)

I got a 15" piece of hose with a 90* bend in it. Cut it down to just the bend, sprayed it liberally with hairspray and slipped it on.

Tada!

IIt runs great now!

IAC valve tube elbow

Its not uncommon for that elbow on the tube between the IAC valve and the main intake hose to fail. The tube is rigid and the IAC valve is rigidly mounted so when the engine vibrates all of the flex is in the elbow. I suspect Ford is aware of the failure rate. Congratulations on devising a reasonably priced alternative to purchasing the assembly from Ford.

Back