Torque Monster headers install problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster headers install problems

biff9703

Reaction score
City, State
Sherrills Ford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer AWD 347 V8
Hey guys, I hope you can help me. I finally got my 347 installed in my 97 Ex. A friend did the machine work and I told him no rush as I kept the 97 engine in the truck while he worked over the 2000 long block for me. Everything that could go wrong, did. The block is different, the integrated oil cooler won't go on the new block, so I installed a remote oil filter and oil cooler. That being done, I tackled the headers I bought from someone on this board. They are a few years old, but unused. I didn't get the instructions, the bolts or gaskets, but was glad to get them. They're in, and I did read the install thread with pics several times, but I can't get all the spark plugs in, and the ones I got in I can't get any wrench on, and there is no way to get the plug wires on, either. I found some shorty Accel plugs online, but none available locally. I don't remember seeing anything about spark plug problems in the instructions posted here. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year are the headers for?

yeah the torque monsters came in 2 styles.. the earlier style which which fit the non p heads and the later style that were for the "p" heads. the first style was 95-97.5 the later style was 97.5-01. i believe the difference in heads has to do with spark plug angles and the later style had an external egr as well. my guess is you have the wrong heads with the wrong style headers?

yeah the torque monsters came in 2 styles.. the earlier style which which fit the non p heads and the later style that were for the "p" heads. the first style was 95-97.5 the later style was 97.5-01. i believe the difference in heads has to do with spark plug angles and the later style had an external egr as well. my guess is you have the wrong heads with the wrong style headers?

I'm assuming this as well. Most likely GT40 headers and GT40P heads.

The headers are for 2000 model engine, and my long block is 2000. The heads are p heads, and the headers are for p heads. The previous owner has a 2000 Mounty with external egr, and my p heads should work with these headers. I still have my 97 long block, but the idea of pulling the engine and exchanging heads is not what I want to do. What I have should work. Has anyone had trouble with spark plug install?

The headers are for 2000 model engine, and my long block is 2000. The heads are p heads, and the headers are for p heads. The previous owner has a 2000 Mounty with external egr, and my p heads should work with these headers. I still have my 97 long block, but the idea of pulling the engine and exchanging heads is not what I want to do. What I have should work. Has anyone had trouble with spark plug install?

Here's a question; have you tried installing them from underneath rather then from the top?

No, there is no space from below. I can get the plugs to the spark plug opening, but number 8, for example won't catch a thread because the tube interferes. Leave it to me to get the short straw, as usual. I've tinkered with cars since 1966, and this is by far the worst undertaking I've ever encountered. I've built a Cobra replica, and a 34 Ford 3 window coupe. Both had no instructions, and I had to fabricate some parts to finish the job. This is worse. I appreciate the comments, maybe I'll find some shorty plugs that will work.

Those headers sure don't sound like they are for the 'P' heads.

Sorry to laugh at your misery, but I have to admit it makes me feel better to hear other peoples pain on torque monster header installs. I have had pain also, and am not done yet. I would agree that the absolute lack of room to work makes this an exercise in patience and frustration.

Can you at least get the spark plug threaded by hand? Ive read mustang guys use non 'P' headers on 'P' heads and cut one side of their spark plug socket down so they can sneak it on and use the end of a wrench to tighten the plug with the socket on.

I see you have a 347. Are you using the factory 'P' heads? I'd have thought that those heads wouldn't flow very well on a 347. Something is going on here tha'ts not right. You should have no real issue if the headers are matched to the head style.

Yes, I have the factory p heads. The headers have the external egr, but I'm using the 97 intake system with internal egr. That's how I know they are for the p heads. I am wanting this to tow with, so I don't care much about high rpm, but my machine shop tells me the p heads are fine for my needs. My Cobra replica is all I need for tire melting performance. I know misery loves company, so I'm not at all bothered by your comments about laughing at my misfortune in this endeavor. I know the heads are p and I know the headers are for a 2000 5.0, but I always seem to get the short straw. I'm searching for Accel shorty plugs, as they give an extra 1/4" which is all I need. I can't seem to find anything locally, so I guess I'll order some online and pray that they fit. This will give my hands a couple of days to heal up some. I'll keep you posted on my progress, but if anyone has any ideas, fire away! Thanks again. PS: I can't get number 8 or a couple of others to thread by hand.
I will also have to cut down a plug wrench to tighten them if I can at least get them threaded in the head.

I hear your frustration. I don't even know what to say.

Its so odd. The headers are definitely P. Can you get a picture of the heads?
I know that your sure the heads are 'P', but could you humor me? Have a look for these bars on the head. Maybe on the firewall side you might be able to feel the bars?
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...P_fbBWK39Fx7_thmPV2pc5Lg&ust=1401839782133268

Its all just so very bizarre. My tools would be all over the street and all the neighborhood kids would be gathering around learning new words. Id be surprised if you are not collecting your tools from all over the place.

No matter what, your doing the right thing. You need to make these headers work at this point.

btw, the only reason Im asking about the heads is that I've been doing lots of reading on Windsor heads, and was curious. Im trying to learn all I can about Windsor heads.

Dono, we must be brothers! I've learned some new swear words on this job! I've been playing with cars, trucks and boats for longer than I will admit! I just ordered a set of shorty Accel plugs from Summit. They are advertised as 1/4" shorter. I will modify my plug socket and get these plugs in! I will NOT put the manifolds back on. I actually have both the cast iron newer style, and the older tubular style. I will humor you. The p heads say GT40p on them in at least 2 places, and have the 4 hash marks, while my 97 heads say gt40 and have 3 hash marks. I know I have the right heads and headers to match. I started working to remove the 97 engine 3 weeks ago, and have worked on this project every day since, but mostly only a couple of hours at a time except the last 2 weekends. Full days on the weekends. I spent 2 1/2 years building my 34 Ford coupe, and sometimes wondered if I would ever finish. I don't give up easily, and this job is no exception. I will keep you updated, and thanks for the laughs!

Could I please see a picture or 2 of the #8 port-plug area? I would also like to see the #1 bank

a few angles will help. :thumbsup:

Mr. 347 is here to save the day :D

Here are the pictures you asked for.

Attachments

• DSCN1568.jpg
    DSCN1568.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN1564.jpg
    DSCN1564.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN1566.jpg
    DSCN1566.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN1569.jpg
    DSCN1569.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN1570.jpg
    DSCN1570.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN1571.jpg
    DSCN1571.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 389

Ok, you win.
That's definitely messed right up.

No way you should be running in to clearance issues that bad.

Ok, you win.
That's definitely messed right up.

No way you should be running in to clearance issues that bad.

Wow. I've never seen anything like that.

There is either not enough plug angle or the headers were made wrong.

Either way that is not right at all.

Wow... those headers arent even close to clearing the plugs. Almost seems like the wrong casting was used but with the correct EGR configuration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I have the shorty plugs, so I'm gonna go out in the 92 degree NC heat and give it the old college try! I'll let you know how many new curse words I learn!

Back