Clicking Noise While Turning- FIX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking Noise While Turning- FIX

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
We have been hit with allot of these lately where there is a quite noticeable clicking noise only on turns. Some of these were even out of warranty already and figured there is likely many more of you out there dealing with this noise thinking you have a worn half shaft from a quick internet search. I am happy to say it is actually a much less involved fix and super cheap. In this video I go over what the noise sounds like and how to fix it up. This problem affects many Ford models from 2011-2013 but I have heard the same problem the other day on a 2014 I was driving. Hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recall 14S10

I just found out I have the following recall showing on my MKT when I checked the Recall link in the 'sticky' section.

Recall - 14S10 - RIGHT-HAND FRONT HALFSHAFT RETENTION INSPECTION / REPAIR

About 92,000 of the vehicles have a potential problem with front axles that run to right wheels and may have not been properly installed during assembly. That may cause the axle to move outward over time and eventually become disengaged.

There have been no injuries, crashes or deaths related to this issue or any of the six issues in the half dozen recalls, a Ford spokeswoman said.

The front right axle issue is a potential hazard in 2013-2014 Ford Taurus, Flex, and Interceptor models, as well as Lincoln MKS and MKT models, and 2012-2014 Ford Edge and 2014 Lincoln MKX models.

About 83,000 of the recalled vehicles are in the United States and federalized territories, along with about 8,200 in Canada and 600 in Mexico, Ford said.

Peter

I just found out I have the following recall showing on my MKT when I checked the Recall link in the 'sticky' section.

Recall - 14S10 - RIGHT-HAND FRONT HALFSHAFT RETENTION INSPECTION / REPAIR

About 92,000 of the vehicles have a potential problem with front axles that run to right wheels and may have not been properly installed during assembly. That may cause the axle to move outward over time and eventually become disengaged.

There have been no injuries, crashes or deaths related to this issue or any of the six issues in the half dozen recalls, a Ford spokeswoman said.

The front right axle issue is a potential hazard in 2013-2014 Ford Taurus, Flex, and Interceptor models, as well as Lincoln MKS and MKT models, and 2012-2014 Ford Edge and 2014 Lincoln MKX models.

About 83,000 of the recalled vehicles are in the United States and federalized territories, along with about 8,200 in Canada and 600 in Mexico, Ford said.

Peter

Yeah I don't see many of those becoming an issue I am sure most I inspect will probably pass.

I think I have this same issue on my 2011 explorer limited. Do you have the part number for that washer?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum cclaybrook.:wavey:
The recall is only for some 2013-2014 models although I believe there are threads/posts about various 'clicking' issues on other year models.
You can find them by using the 'Search' program we have.

Peter

Thanks for the great video! I have a 2014 sport with only 6k miles on her. I actually had this problem and went to my dealership for it. They told me that they could not find anything and that it is fine. The sound is gone now, but I think I might still hear a slight creaking once and a while. Do you know when the recalls went out? I'm curious if I will be getting one.

Thanks again for the write up. It's good to know there are trustworthy mechanics out there.

I don't believe anything has been sent out yet. I found my vehicle listed when I used the link provided in the 'Sticky' section to check and see if I had a recall.
Mine was inspected and passed.

Peter

so glad for this thread as it gives me something to talk to the dealer about on Saturday when I go in. My 2014 sport with 7K miles on it has started to make clicking noises when turning. though it happens on both sides it is more noticeable when turning right. Everyday I go around the parkin garage exit I get pissed recently hearing this on my new truck.

So dealer gets a test ride with me on Saturday morning and I will have this thread/video up and ready for them to potentially speed up the diagnosis and fix.

Thanks

so glad for this thread as it gives me something to talk to the dealer about on Saturday when I go in. My 2014 sport with 7K miles on it has started to make clicking noises when turning. though it happens on both sides it is more noticeable when turning right. Everyday I go around the parkin garage exit I get pissed recently hearing this on my new truck.

So dealer gets a test ride with me on Saturday morning and I will have this thread/video up and ready for them to potentially speed up the diagnosis and fix.

Thanks

Keep us posted on how things go on Saturday, soulpatch. I'll be happy to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can help. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Turns out I too just needed the washers added to my hub assemblies. Crystal took care of me for the service side as did my dealership. Ended up buying the wife an Edge Sport while we were in there dropping off my Explorer.

Happy wife happy life right???

Turns out I too just needed the washers added to my hub assemblies. Crystal took care of me for the service side as did my dealership. Ended up buying the wife an Edge Sport while we were in there dropping off my Explorer.

Happy wife happy life right???

Well, in the first post it was said this was a cheep fix. Soulpatch, I think yours was a bit expensive. Had to buy an Edge sport for a spare LOL.

Well, in the first post it was said this was a cheep fix. Soulpatch, I think yours was a bit expensive. Had to buy an Edge sport for a spare LOL.

You dont know my wife. This WAS a cheap solution. Thankfully the looks and feature set of the Edge were enough to talk her down from the ledge of a few more expensive cars.

And to top it off in the deal for the edge I ensured that the dealer threw in the remote access app for my Explorer as well. SO I will get the security and remote app thrown on my truck for free.

So yeah I had to buy a 40K vehicle to get a 500 or so part on my truck and a happy wife. Cheap if you ask me. LOL

I think I have this same issue on my 2011 explorer limited. Do you have the part number for that washer?

Thanks!

Sorry so late been ultra busy but here is the part number for future reference- BB5Z-7G273-B

Mine turned out to be a loose lug nut.

I’m hearing a faint sound similar to this but not nearly as frequent of a clicking, and it seems to go away when straightened out. Same sound though. I notice it most when in my apartment parking garage at low speeds while turning. I drive a 2016 sport, is it probably the same issue going on here? I know someone couldn’t tell from just some internet words what’s going on but I thought mine might be an earlier stage of what’s happening to this explorer. Does the clicking start out quieter and get more and more noticeable as time goes on and the part is worn?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the starter of this thread hasn't been active here since Dec.1, 2015.

Peter

Thanks for the replies! I’m going to cal the dealer I guess and hopefully get it in to be looked at now that I have some of this background on what it could be.

Edit: Is this something I need to be worried about as far as driving it around still and potentially losing power steering like what was described in the other thread? Or should it be ok mechanically and just a noise thing. Not sure the video really mentions if it’s a hazardous situation driving with the noise. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the replies! I’m going to cal the dealer I guess and hopefully get it in to be looked at now that I have some of this background on what it could be.
Edit: Is this something I need to be worried about as far as driving it around still and potentially losing power steering like what was described in the other thread? Or should it be ok mechanically and just a noise thing. Not sure the video really mentions if it’s a hazardous situation driving with the noise. Thanks!
The noise indicates something is wrong, it's up to you to decide how bad it is and when to fix it. My clicking noise escalated from a faint sound to a major noise with clunking in less than a week, I didn't feel like gambling.

Back