1st gen Batch Fire Injection to Sequential electronic injection swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen Batch Fire Injection to Sequential electronic injection swap

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Im going to be attempting to swap my 94 ranger batch fire ecm out with a 94 explorer SEFI ecm

94 explorer diagram (one injector is mislabeled but is correct in 2nd diagram with pin out)

0996b43f80211976_zpsusiue55z.gif

94 explorer ecm pin layout

attachment-4_zpsihbg6ht8.jpg

attachment-5_zpso0hp2pja.jpg

attachment-6_zpsmbimfrpq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

94 RANGER with batch fire wiring diagram and pin out list..

downloadfile-1_zps65ouuozm.jpg

attachment-1_zpsno0gxeqj.jpg

Here is what I have so far..these are the pins that need to be moved or not used anymore on my current 94 ranger ecm wiring harness, so a 94 explorer ecm with SEFI can be used

OLD location......NEW repined location
31----->11. Canister purge
14------> 50. MAF
15----->9. MAF
52----->51. Shift solenoid
39----> 43. O2#2
29----> 44. O2#1
44---->29. Shorting bar
28 ----> 18 data +
9 ------> 19 data -

58---old injector, unplug discard wire, no longer used..that pin will be used with new injectors
59--- old injector, unplug, discard wire, no longer used..that pin will be used also with new injectors

New injector pins..
58---injector#1
59---injector#2
39---injector#3
35---injector#4
15--- injector#5
12---injector#6

New pins also
33--egr (how can I get around this??)
27--- DPFE (how can I get around this??)
24---camshaft sensor

Anyone see anything else???

EDIT..updated with missed items

Going to put a 90-93 explorer diagram here when I find it for those that wanna do this to a first gen explorer..

To be posted...

Is it possible the top diagram you posted Jd is from a cali truck?

Is it possible the top diagram you posted Jd is from a cali truck?

Possible. .but the one you posted said 94 and it showed SEFI also...They all seem to match up but first diagram shows two number 58 pins both showing tan as the color. .it doesnt show pin 39 or injector color brn/yel injector number 3..everything else seems the same but my eyes are getting tired!!!

Somethings wacky with that first diagram is the reason I ask. Where did you get that one from? So far the second one and mine seem to match up

I have a fed emission ecm on the way...if it doesn't have the pins for SEFI injectors ill guess ill know the answer...im 100% in for this project and appreciate any help or input.....:)

The wiring diagrams I have access to for the 1994 Ranger show batch for the federal version and SFI for the Calif. version. There is no distinction made for the 1994 Explorer - all are SFI.

Thanks ;)

I have circled 9 changes other than the injectors but not 100% on the numbers.doesnt seem to be a very hard job and as soon as the new ecm comes in and im 100% on the wiring, ill swap it over..I plan to take my upper manifold off anyways to replace driverside valve gasket and to test fit the charger soon..so would be perfect time to do this swap ;)

94 federal PCM?

I have a fed emission ecm on the way...if it doesn't have the pins for SEFI injectors ill guess ill know the answer...im 100% in for this project and appreciate any help or input.....:)

I assume that is an Explorer PCM with SFI to replace your Ranger PCM with batch injection.

Are you modifying the Ranger engine wiring harness to match the Explorer PCM? I want to help but I'm not sure exactly what you're doing.

I assume that is an Explorer PCM with SFI to replace your Ranger PCM with batch injection.

Are you modifying the Ranger engine wiring harness to match the Explorer PCM? I want to help but I'm not sure exactly what you're doing.

Yes I bought a explorer 94 fed emission manual ecm ( F47F-12A650-KB) to replace my batch fire 94 ranger ecm..

Yes im re-pinning the items I listed and adding the pins I listed to match a 94 explorer ecm.(my ecm is on the driverside or I would use a 94 explorer engine harness). ..then rewiring the injectors, adding a cam sensor and idk what im going to do about the egr..I dont have or want egr, it may be possible to delete it when I get to tuning but for now I may just grab a egr vacuum sensor and plug it in so I dont get a CEL..

old .. new
28 > 18 data +
9 > 19 data -

New
33 EVR
27 DPFE

Aww thank you sir, I was sure I was missing something. .

Is there anyway of getting around 33&27? Like tricking the ecm so a CEL doesnt come on?? Maybe ill search for what voltage those read when working properly. .more than likely I can have them deleted when I get tuned.

simulating EGR

The EVR signal is an on/off output from the PCM that controls the EGR vacuum regulator. Its similar to pulse width modulation. The DPFE signal is a variable voltage input to the PCM that indicates the amount of EGR flow. The PCM is constantly adjusting the duty cycle of the EVR signal to control EGR flow. EGR is disabled for idle and WOT but otherwise varies according to engine parameters (possibly load, RPM, etc.). When the EGR flow (as indicated by the DPFE voltage) does not match the commanded duty cycle the PCM sets a DTC. The PCM does not have the ability to determine which thing isn't working (EVR, EGR valve or DPFE sensor). The closed loop system could be simulated but its not worth the effort. As I recall, if you have an EVR and a DPFE its possible to trick the PCM into thinking the system is functional even when there's no EGR flow. It would take me a while to find that reference.

The EVR signal is an on/off output from the PCM that controls the EGR vacuum regulator. Its similar to pulse width modulation. The DPFE signal is a variable voltage input to the PCM that indicates the amount of EGR flow. The PCM is constantly adjusting the duty cycle of the EVR signal to control EGR flow. EGR is disabled for idle and WOT but otherwise varies according to engine parameters (possibly load, RPM, etc.). When the EGR flow (as indicated by the DPFE voltage) does not match the commanded duty cycle the PCM sets a DTC. The PCM does not have the ability to determine which thing isn't working (EVR, EGR valve or DPFE sensor). The closed loop system could be simulated but its not worth the effort. As I recall, if you have an EVR and a DPFE its possible to trick the PCM into thinking the system is functional even when there's no EGR flow. It would take me a while to find that reference.

So does the dpfe run off vacuum? ? Then the ecm reads that and sends signal to EVR telling it how much to oepn the egr ? If so couldnt I just hook a DPFE up to a vacuum sorce and not even worry about the EVR sense it doesnt send a signal back to the ecm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The DPFE measures a differential in pressure between the 2 tubes. No vacuum used.
The pressure difference results when the egr valve opens.

Back