V8 swap thread discussion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap thread discussion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good write up.

Thanks man.

V8 Swap

Great write up!
When did you find time to do this?
Pictures are great too!
And it is a sticky so lots of those looking into the swap will learn from it.
Again, great job!

Nice write up man. I guess I'll have to do my own for my 351w since nobody has completed one yet, I'll have an advantage over them though since I don't have to work around the IFS crossmember (SAS).

Do you think it would be easier for me to just rip out all of the factory wiring harnesses and install a Painless setup or should I just cut and remove all the wires from the factory junction blocks and use only what I need which won't be much. My drivetrain is going to be from a 1989 F250 so it's fuel injected but I won't be running the emissions crap on it (trail 80% / street 20% use).

Great write up!
When did you find time to do this?
Pictures are great too!
And it is a sticky so lots of those looking into the swap will learn from it.
Again, great job!

i have all sorts of time now the 347 is done! lol, i am still off work and bored!

Nice write up man. I guess I'll have to do my own for my 351w since nobody has completed one yet, I'll have an advantage over them though since I don't have to work around the IFS crossmember (SAS).

Do you think it would be easier for me to just rip out all of the factory wiring harnesses and install a Painless setup or should I just cut and remove all the wires from the factory junction blocks and use only what I need which won't be much. My drivetrain is going to be from a 1989 F250 so it's fuel injected but I won't be running the emissions crap on it (trail 80% / street 20% use).

you did a windsor? now THAT i want to see! i dont even want to know the problems with that......well i do, but you know what i mean. but then again if you are not using any of the factory explorer electronics it would be way easier. as for what to do with the wiring, i guess that in a way would be up to you depending on what you would want to work as far as the trac stuff, and what you can live without. i hate wiring. i get fumbled on it, and have to ask others on what to do right down to the placement, and wire colors.

I haven't started the swap yet, I need to finish my SAS first. I went with the Windsor because it's the smallest of the 351's and because I bought the donor F-250 from a buddy for $400 which I've already made the money back on with selling parts and scrapping the back half of the frame.

I still want to use the wiring for the PW, stereo, lights and heater, just don't need the rest (not sure about fuel system yet if I'm going to use the stock tank or not). The brakes aren't going to have abs anymore so that stuff can go away I guess. I'll run the speedo from the C6 trans and I have a 5" monster tach from my old drag car.

I figured I'd ask since you've been through the V8 swap in yours and dealt with the wiring. This is the first V8 swap for me in a Ex/ST, I've already to a couple in S-10' but those were with old carb'd engines and strictly mostly race vehicles. One was a 4wd but it's a lot easier on them without the computers and power options.

to me the problems you will face first off (and i am sure you are aware of them, but i will say anyway) are
oil pan - mind you, you might get lucky and be able to use some type of ford rear sump pan because you wont have a front diff in the factory spot anymore.
headers - most people dont know for what ever reason the 351w is wider and has a tallier deck height. you will need to build your headers, TMH's will hit the steering shaft (i found this all out the hard way years ago with my 81 capri when i did a 351w swap, and before there was a neat thing called the internet). the nice thing is you can use the 302 motor mounts. hell, i think the c6 will even land in the stock trans mounting area.
you might be better off using something like a universal painless kit for a efi fox mustang, but using autometer gauges. that is my guess.

I went with the Windsor because it's the smallest of the 351's. I want to stay away from emissions and computers and the '89 I can run without the emissions crap without it affecting it. I have a 3" BL so that helps clear the taller deck and intake. Not sure on headers yet, I'll be doing the ifs steering box from a Yota and inset it into the frame like they did on the "Rock Trac". This should help with exhuast and steering shaft issues. The lb will help with exhuast space too. I'll look into the EFI wiring harnesses and see which would work best. More than likely I'll go with a painless setup to get rid of the factory harness and clean up the engine compartment more. The AC heater box will be cut and modified like High Roads did on his V8 ST. I might need to change out the oil pan but if it's a rear sump than it should be good to go (we'll see when the time comes). As of right now I have tons of room between the front diff and the oil pan on the 4.0. This is how it sits right now, it'll be about 2" higher and the front axle will be moved 2" forward as well to fix the shackle angle.

IMG_6400.jpg

Thank you Turtle, I was going to ask vroomzoomboom if he just wanted to take the discussion over to my build thread.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on getting the 96 5.0 v8 to swap into my 98 (I know this will make a few things a little harder, but it only has 88k miles on it). Where did you find the wiring diagrams and connector diagrams?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on getting the 96 5.0 v8 to swap into my 98 (I know this will make a few things a little harder, but it only has 88k miles on it). Where did you find the wiring diagrams and connector diagrams?

you will have to go on ebay or something like that and buy a ford service cd.

Has anyone put a 3 valve 4.6 into an older explorer, I have a 2001 sport track with a bad 4.0 the I'm debating between swapping in a good 4.0 and trying to get a 3valve 4.6 from 2006-2010 to run right. And talk to the instrument cluster, abs, stability systems etc.

Thanks for the useful info. Since I'm doing a motor swap and bought my Explorer to pull a camper I will give this serious thought if I can find the right donor vehicle. Since mine is a 1997 OHV would you recommend I find a 1996-1997?

Thanks for the useful info. Since I'm doing a motor swap and bought my Explorer to pull a camper I will give this serious thought if I can find the right donor vehicle. Since mine is a 1997 OHV would you recommend I find a 1996-1997?

IMO, yes. and try to find one close (if its possible) to your build date. 96-97 didnt have too many wiring differences as far as i know, but mid 97 PATS started to come into play. your can always take it from the one truck to yours, but i dont know if the connectors are there in yours if you dont have it.

No pats is 98 up , the late 97 has p heads and external egr, and the transmission is the early 4r70w but used the later range sensor so it has a unique harness, and the pcm is also unique to this setup, this is the version I had to use in my 97 sport with a 99 motor , and I also have my brothers 97 xlt here that is a late 97 with this setup

Okay, mine is a' 97 OHV. I just found a' 98 5.0 with the GT40 heads and 103,000 miles. He said I can have the motor, tranny and whatever I need off it for $850.
Fair price?
Is this easily doable like the first post instructions?
Thanks!

for that, and what i have seen from you guys down south, you should be able to pick up the truck whole, and not just parts of it. i also cant say it is easy doable or not. for some people doing this will scare the hell out of them, and others they will do it with one eye closed and haft awake. it all depends on your ability's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for that, and what i have seen from you guys down south, you should be able to pick up the truck whole, and not just parts of it. i also cant say it is easy doable or not. for some people doing this will scare the hell out of them, and others they will do it with one eye closed and haft awake. it all depends on your ability's.

I once wired a 4.0 into a 2.9 Bronco II. I don't want to get that involved. A few mods under the hood and dash I can handle. The junkyard owner is a life long friend. If he says I can have anything off it he'll make sure I get what I need. I don't want another yard car, lol. This particular explorer he just got in. It took a hit in the rear so under the hood is good.

I'll read more on the PATS. I think that's all I need to learn. I have an electronics background from the Army so I'm not totally green. :)
I'll also check a few more junkyard for a 96-97. OPs thread sounds good. A 97 would be ideal but I might tackle the 98. I just didn't want to hear I had major work under the dash other than what's posted.

Back