• Register Today It's free!

Clutch issue

Oxthe3rd

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I just bought a 1992 explorer from a lady that has a clutch issue. she says she was going up a hill when it all of a sudden stops pulling. there was no noise and the pedal still had pressure.

It can be shifted into gear without touching the clutch. revving the engine does not change that nor does it try to pull in the slightest. Now before i try to pull the transmission and spend $250 I figure I should ask the forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats not a clutch problem. Someone on here had a similar issue a while back. They came to a stop, and shifted into first. When they wanted to go, there was nothing.

Back to the search bar for me then.

You may be right sounds dead on what I'm experiencing. I'll drop the shift motor and try putting it into 2hi and 4hi see if the motors out of aliment

Also now that I think about it she said it had a new transfer case motor installed recently maybe they didn't align it correctly and is just in a neutral position.

I doubt it, the motor wouldn't do that while driving. The transfer case drain plug is behind that big round thing (counter balance). If you pull the plug and metal comes out, you found the problem.

Ill check while i'm under there but do you really think it would just let go like that with no noise?

Update time. Pulled the transfer case motor and checked its operation and its fine not out of position. Drained the fluid and it was spotless. Im going to drop it once the bolts soak in pb for a bit and try to check it by hand but I think it is fine.

Looks like its time to drop the transmission and change the clutch.

I wouldn't buy the parts yet, it is still probably not the clutch. They don't just randomly go out. You have to be riding them hard, and even then, it would absolutely reek.

Thanks for keeping me in check. Is there any trick to getting the hatch open to get to the top of the transfer case.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by hatch. I just can't think of anything else that would just go out without a sound. It technically could still be the clutch, maybe the lady lost her sense of smell. You usually get a good amount of warning with a bad clutch. Plus I've never heard of one that was so far gone, you could shift gears with it engaged. The transmission would probably make some noises, or even lock up if it was really bad. If any of the splines stripped, you would certainly hear those. The transfer case can randomly fail without warning, and can fail without a sound, as per the link I posted. I can't think of anything else it could be.

The hatch is the plate that bolts to the body that the shifter goes through access plate would have been a better word

pull the kick panels and then pull the carpet back on both the drivers and pass. side.

Thanks ill update tomorrow once i get the transfer case off.

A week ago Monday, while traversing a long freeway HILL (hint), I thought a truck in front of me had a brake set up due to a strong burning smell. After toping the hill, I realized that my RPMS were up and my speed was down. The smell lasted only short time during that 3 miles. I made it another ten miles down side roads and then nothing. Today, my 94 Sport 4WD is up and running with a complete clutch kit(ebaygripforce) and a new rear main bearing seal. This forum gave the answers to guide me through the task. And OH WHAT A TASK!

Im learning what a task it is. All four bolts holding the access plate down are free spinning. so any ideas for getting the top transfer case bolts?

Ideas? Ok
1. Before the top of the forum pages, on the right side, search for your question.
2. autozone.com sign up and add your vehicle to see an online manual.
3. Plug your questions into youtube and watch videos. Ford Ranger videos helped me alot. I had the same M50D-R1 4WD Transmission.

Im learning what a task it is. All four bolts holding the access plate down are free spinning. so any ideas for getting the top transfer case bolts?

try taking a nail bar or a flat head screw driver and pry up on the bolts as your turning them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need to remove the access panel to remove the transfer case. If you need a little more room, remove the tranny mount, and let gravity lower the tranny and transfer case a little. I don't remember what I last did exactly, but a long extension helps. If you do end up pulling the tranny, make sure you have at least 4 feet of extentions for the top bolts.

Back