• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport Seats

HARDROCKTIMES

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I had my 2016 sport since June... Let's talk about these front seats!!!
How can u give a truck this much power and have suckee steals that u slide around in... Not good at all.. When ur just cruising around its cool... But when ur explorering the power of this Eco boast ... And u hit a turn hold on... The seats aren't going to hold u at all.... I have a 94 SHO with hugging seats... Ford do better!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How can u give a truck this much power and have suckee steals that u slide around in... Not good at all.. When ur just cruising around its cool... But when ur explorering the power of this Eco boast ... And u hit a turn hold on... The seats aren't going to hold u at all.... I have a 94 SHO with hugging seats... Ford do better!!!

LOL, it's funny that you mentioned this, as my wife who is very slim mentioned the same concern about sliding all over the seats.
I myself am not that big of a person either, with plenty of room on the sides and wished it were more narrow (not necessarily bucket seats type fit).

That's the one thing holding me back from upgrading my 2015 to the 2016, love the seats in mine and I'm not a huge fan of the 2016 seats no where as comfortable in my opinion.

I think you are mistaking this for a sports car or a Jeep SRT8, in which it is neither, nor is it marketed that way. You're picking the wrong vehicle to be cornering in at high speeds, being a 3rd row SUV. Maybe try a mustang?

"suckee steals" :scratch: I use the seatbelt to keep me in place. These Explorer seats, like those in many other SUV's, are not designed for what you are looking for.

Peter

Spelling and bigger seat side bolsters won't be found in this thread ;)

I think the seats in the 2015 Edge are much better than the seats in the 2016 Explorer. They seem like the sitting area is larger and hugs better as well. The seat bottoms do not touch the back of my knees, and it feels like the back bolster pushes me forward in the seat even when deflated completely...

You have to realize many of the buyers of an Explorer Sport buy it to haul people and cargo, and do some light offroading. It's not designed for track use at all. The lowered suspension may help it but still, you lack the necessities of a true track car by having a wet sump and having 7 seats.

It's meant to be a traveling car. I can imagine big people being pissed if the seats were a little too hugging. Especially if it was a long road trip in this car. I think the seats are perfectly fine because a big SUV won't be doing well in corners anyway, rendering those hugging seats a bit useless. There's always an option to buy sportier seats and put them in.

This car is meant to be a daily with a good balance of power, utility, and performance. You remind me of those people that daily their cars with suspension so low, they scratch every little bump or crack in the road they go over and can't even go up garages.

There's no reason a luxo-cruiser couldn't have some side support on the seats to prevent you from sliding around. Plenty cars do it. Sad fact is that Ford must be assuming its buyers are fat and simply won't fit in such a seat.

Sad fact is that Ford must be assuming its buyers are fat and simply won't fit in such a seat.

Honestly wouldn't doubt it lol. At my height and 180 lbs I'm obviously not the person they designed the seat for and sounds like a lot here aren't either lol.

Buy a Mustang with the Recaro seats, and keep your Explorer Sport.

Then you have the best of both worlds...

Well, I'll respectfully go against the consensus in this thread. If Ford did not have spirited road driving in mind when they designed the Sport then why did they :

- stiffen the Sport body structure by 37 percent
- give the Sport a quicker steering ratio
- lower the suspension and fit sport tuned shocks, bushings and sway bars
- reprogram the EPAS and PTU to favor sporting driving
- increase the Sport's 20" rim width from 8.5 to 9.0 inches
- give the Sport a 365hp v6?

It certainly wasn't to improve its off-road capabilities.

Due to torque steer vectoring the Sport is a handful at over 100mph. It's not a sports car or sports sedan, but it is a capable car to drive in a spirited fashion at lower speeds (<100mph). I do have to brace my knee against the door for higher speed right turns and I brace against the console for left turns. It throws me around like I'm a sack of potatoes.

The current Explo is a bulked up Taurus. A car, not a truck. It responds well to street oriented tuning. I do not understand why those of us that like the Sport for its designed purpose (spirited SUV street driving) constantly receive comments in this forum like "get a Mustang" and "it's not designed for that" when it clearly was.

The OP is correct that the Sport's seats are not up to the cornering capability of the vehicle. Although I wouldn't want any more aggressive side bolsters in the seats (I'm 172lbs and 5'9" and the seats are ok for me as my daily driver) I completely understand that someone might want to stick a set of Sparcos in and go for it.

Lighten up and live a little.

Anyway, MHO.

Well, I'll respectfully go against the consensus in this thread. If Ford did not have spirited road driving in mind when they designed the Sport then why did they :

- stiffen the Sport body structure by 37 percent
- give the Sport a quicker steering ratio
- lower the suspension and fit sport tuned shocks, bushings and sway bars
- reprogram the EPAS and PTU to favor sporting driving
- increase the Sport's 20" rim width from 8.5 to 9.0 inches
- give the Sport a 365hp v6?

It certainly wasn't to improve its off-road capabilities.

Due to torque steer vectoring the Sport is a handful at over 100mph. It's not a sports car or sports sedan, but it is a capable car to drive in a spirited fashion at lower speeds (<100mph). I do have to brace my knee against the door for higher speed right turns and I brace against the console for left turns.

The current Explo is a bulked up Taurus. A car, not a truck. It responds well to street oriented tuning. I don't see why those of us that like the Sport for its designed purpose (spirited SUV street driving) constantly receive comments in this forum like "get a Mustang" and "it's not designed for that" when it clearly was. The OP is correct that the Sport's seats are not up to the cornering capability of the vehicle. I wouldn't want any more aggressive side bolsters in the seats however. I'm 172lbs and 5'9" and the seats are ok for me as my daily driver.

Anyway, MHO.
Thanks ... A lot of guys on here are full of crap... It's the sport Model for a reason... I do drive my sport hard... I paid for the performance ...

Thanks ... A lot of guys on here are full of crap... It's the sport Model for a reason... I do drive my sport hard... I paid for the performance ...
:thumbsup: +1 hardrocktimes, head over to the modified section. You'll find a lot of "like minded" explo sport owners there. Looking forward to seeing you on the dark side :eek:

What I think is unfortunate is that you paid $50,000 for a $30,000 SUV, The seats are fine for a $30K SUV, and the Explorer was never meant as a sports car. Somebody at Ford obviously thought this was a good idea, and snookered a lot of people into paying and additional $20K to get a big, lumbering SUV that they like to call "Sport". Good marketing move, Ford is making a lot of money on it, and I'm sure the genius that thought it up got one huge bonus!

What I think is unfortunate is that you paid $50,000 for a $30,000 SUV, The seats are fine for a $30K SUV, and the Explorer was never meant as a sports car. Somebody at Ford obviously thought this was a good idea, and snookered a lot of people into paying and additional $20K to get a big, lumbering SUV that they like to call "Sport". Good marketing move, Ford is making a lot of money on it, and I'm sure the genius that thought it up got one huge bonus!

You may be wrong or you may be right. However, it sounds like you are knocking someone elses purchase to justify yours. They sell a sport model with 365hp with better shocks, brakes, accessories and luxuries. Name me one other 3 row SUV you can get with the options and performance, including 365 hp, for under 50k? None. It's not a scam just because you didn't want to dish out the extra cash over an XLT. Enjoy your ride and I will enjoy mine.

Hi Halwg, thanks for checking in :).

We'll have to agree to continue to disagree. I am never "snookered" into buying anything. I deeply researched every, and I mean every, seven passenger alternative to the Sport. My shortlist was the Audi Q7, Durango R/T and the Sport. I drove all on my shortlist and most of the others, then I made an informed purchase of the vehicle that best met my personal quality / content / capability / cost requirements.

Who is calling, or has called, the Sport a "sports car" or "track car"? Not me, not the OP, not other Sport owners in this forum. It's only the Sport naysayers that make these references. For some reason there are forum members that can't comprehend why Ford built the Sport in the first place and feel that they must always make "put down" comments regarding Sport owners and their enthusiastic exploration of the Sport's performance potential.

Live and let live. I've never seen a comment from a Sport owner putting down someone who chose to purchase a base model or XLT. I guess it is too much to expect reciprocal respect from forum members regarding our decision to purchase the Sport.

Are you mad bro?
You're not comparing apples to apples.
You're comparing a grape to an apple!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may be wrong or you may be right. However, it sounds like you are knocking someone elses purchase to justify yours. They sell a sport model with 365hp with better shocks, brakes, accessories and luxuries. Name me one other 3 row SUV you can get with the options and performance, including 365 hp, for under 50k? None. It's not a scam just because you didn't want to dish out the extra cash over an XLT. Enjoy your ride and I will enjoy mine.
I was going to say the Platinum but it is just over $50k.

Peter

Back