CrankyJew's 2004 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CrankyJew's 2004 Sport Trac

Figured it's time to do one of these.

Bought my trac used for $5k with 130k, about a year and a half ago. It's a 2004 XLT Premium 4x4 (i think) with leather interior, 4.10 gears.

I bought it in the middle of winter in western NY, after I totaled my 02 Ranger fx4 in an ice storm. That truck had 32x11.5 tires on it that were almost brand new... within two weeks of owning the ST I had cranked the torsion bars and added Warrior shackles to make those tires fit. My truck didn't come with a tow hitch for some reason, so around the same time I installed a pro-series class III.

WP_20150616_003_zpss3sghv5p.jpg

I tore out the resonator and tailpipe, and installed a 2.5" Jones Exhaust Max-Flow... basically a magnaflow clone, with a dump.

WP_20150616_005_zpsuziqpy5q.jpg

After a while I replaced the nasty worn out, 90's-era ford steering wheel with one from a 2004 ranger.

WP_20150616_001_zpsueytjmmn.jpg

Also replaced the stupid aftermarket stereo the previous owner had poorly installed with the radio from the same 2004 ranger.

WP_20150616_002_zpsv8riauxw.jpg

This is how the truck sat for about a year.

I added an led light bar behind the grille, wired to a factory fog light switch from a 2001 sport trac. Also installed a factory blaupunkt radio from a 2004 Focus SVT (?) ... then....

...then those 32's started looking too small, and I punctured one through the shoulder....

so a set of 33x12.50 BFG KO2's went on, with a custom 1.5" body lift.

WP_20160312_17_06_07_Pro_zps3awwiige.jpg

WP_20160312_17_06_25_Pro_zpsc8msuvq1.jpg

Other small things have been swapped/replaced here and there.

And that's how the truck sits today. I figure at the end of the day I sit about 4-5" higher than stock. I'm happy with the proportions of it. From a distance, if you didn't know, I think my truck looks fairly stock. I have just enough clearance to clear the tires without funny gaps everywhere.

Full list of mods are:

torsion bars cranked
warrior shackles
custom 1.5" body lift
33x12.5x15 BFGs on silver cragar 15x8 wheels
2004 Ranger steering wheel swap
2004 Focus Blaupunkt radio swap
2.5" Jones Max-Flow muffler and custom 3" tailpipe
Rancho rs5000 shocks all around
Poly sway-bar bushings all around
24" Led light bar behind grille
Clear corner lights
Led map, dome and cargo lights
US Rack Ladder rack

On the way is new leaf spring and rear sway bar link bushings, and someday steel bumpers.

She's getting there.

thanks fellas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

today I made a 3" tail pipe for the trac. I used the universal Flowmaster kit.

everyone seems to say that 3" exhaust tubing won't fit... it sure as hell does! sounds good... quieter in the cab, less drone, and deeper tone.

this brings my exhaust system to: 2.25" intermediate pipe, 2.5" max-flow muffler, 3" tail pipe.

I'll post pictures soon.

Along for the ride. Truck's looking good!

picked up a... tool tray? from an 01 at the junkyard, I've been looking for one of these!

WP_20160312_17_22_39_Pro_zpsjihktmeb.jpg

the best I could do for a pic of the exhaust, for now... next time I drop my spare I'll get another.

WP_20160318_11_03_06_Pro_zpscmqqnk9o.jpg

went out checking our seasonal roads today, pulled fallen a tree out and finally got some mud on the new ko2's!

WP_20160319_16_49_33_Pro_zpsqrzcueh9.jpg

WP_20160319_16_52_45_Pro_zpsneuzjx1f.jpg

WP_20160319_16_54_40_Pro_zpspp9byi8i.jpg

WP_20160319_15_39_12_Pro_zpsjys42ymp.jpg

after a couple of weeks with the 33's, I'm very pleased. the ko2's are quieter than the original ko's, and seem to do better in mud- they clear out gunk and stone better.
I was worried (not sure why, now) that the bigger tires would bog my ST way down and I would want to upgrade to 4.56 gears. in traffic and down the highway, I notice next to no difference in acceleration with the 33's vs. 32's.
is my truck fast? not really. was it ever? nah. it doesn't need to be.
my speedo is, however, more noticeably off now. reads about 5mph under actual speed at 55, and gets worse from there.
what are my options for re-calibrating the speedometer? I've been looking at a scangauge-II. is this the highest value option out there?

after a couple of weeks with the 33's, I'm very pleased. the ko2's are quieter than the original ko's, and seem to do better in mud- they clear out gunk and stone better.
I was worried (not sure why, now) that the bigger tires would bog my ST way down and I would want to upgrade to 4.56 gears. in traffic and down the highway, I notice next to no difference in acceleration with the 33's vs. 32's.
is my truck fast? not really. was it ever? nah. it doesn't need to be.
my speedo is, however, more noticeably off now. reads about 5mph under actual speed at 55, and gets worse from there.
what are my options for re-calibrating the speedometer? I've been looking at a scangauge-II. is this the highest value option out there?

Can't really reprogram it without Going to the Ford house or getting a programmer from Torrie at unleashed tuning.

I use my scab gauge 2 to show the corrected speed and I used that to learn where on my speedo are the main speeds (50,55,60,etc)

decided to forget re-calibrating the speedo and just live with it. i live in an area where everybody speeds consistently, so if i'm a little over it'll be ok.

tracs doing well. was noticing some grumbling noise turning recently. with the amount of wind and tire noise i get from the lift, ladder rack and 33's, it's hard to tell whats up sometimes. ended up having to replace a wheel hub today. my lower ball joint on that side has a bunch of vertical movement with no weight on it.... no lateral shift yet, but i suspect that will be my next project- soon. the joys of being a ford owner!

WP_20160507_13_52_56_Pro_zpsj5pxmyuk.jpg

i'm always pleased with the fact of the ST being the (mostly) final "evolution" of the ranger-based platform. i recently picked up a 1992 project ranger and realized i had forgotten how squirrely they are. my trac is just so much more solid.

WP_20160411_19_03_39_Pro_zpsn1yaakzy.jpg

the ranger will be getting a d30 leaf spung solid axle soon.

Nice stout looking Trac. And also good to see its being used as a real truck. I've always said Explorers are a lot tougher than they get credit for.

they sure are. people that don't know already ask about my truck all the time.

replaced both lower ball joints (with the new moog design) and my right CV shaft this past week. My outer boot had perforated and slung grease everywhere.

Interesting, my shop service manual says the lower ball joint is non-serviceable and the whole lower a arm needs to be replaced. eff that.

I was up to my elbows in nasty old grease trying to re-boot and re-grease my old CV shaft when I decided it was in no way worth it, $50 with a discount at my local Advance.

alternator crapped out on my yesterday. trucks been running well otherwise! I have poly leaf spring and rear sway bar link bushings that I'd like to do soon...

the trac's been working!

mobile welding rig....
WP_20160528_15_03_10_Pro_zps7kx8xdai.jpg

crappy old culvert...

WP_20160703_14_27_14_Pro_zpsugi7t0ok.jpg

Love to see the Trac all cleaned up!

got my tailgate painted a couple weeks ago! No more junkyard truck look.

WP_20160820_16_40_47_Pro_zpsqdv6jgba.jpg

trac was having some trouble on cold starts in the morning. sputtering, crappy idle, would die on me sometimes, sometimes I could get it to rev a little and stabilize but it was a fight. no issues once warmed up and driving. SO i cleaned the MAF, IAC motor, throttle body, and air cleaner. Seems happier now.

truck turned 170K today as well!

If the cold starts come back and persists, keep in mind the shrunken intake manifold gaskets problem. I'm sure you are aware of that issue.

If the cold starts come back and persists, keep in mind the shrunken intake manifold gaskets problem. I'm sure you are aware of that issue.

i thought the intake gasket issue was for job 1 and older motors?

Oh yes, you are correct. The 98-01's have that issue. In retrospect I see that you have a '04. My mistake.

Back