Spas got BULLITTS >:D | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spas got BULLITTS >:D

Hey, gang! Bet you were expecting to see pics of my new 2001 GT grey spoke Bullitts, huh? No dice just yet, but since you're already here, maybe you can help me answer a few questions :D

I won them off of a 2001 Gt Mustang on ebay for a ridiculously low price (They're used, but I won't tell you how much I paid because there might be a few jealous 'bullitts' launched at my head, lol) They're 17x8 and I need to hunt down some sporty tires for them. It'll be three weeks before I can post pics for everybody to see, and for that I'm sorry, but it gives me a few weeks to get everything together to get them on the truck. On to the HELP ME PLEASE section:

1) Am I gonna need spacers? My truck's only dropped an inch up front

2) Is this going to mess up my speedo?

3) I need to get stick on wheel weights, and put them inSIDE the rims to keep it clean looking, right?
This one's probably the most important:

4) What tires should I get? I need good snow, water, and mud traction, with sporty handling. I also want to keep the overall TIRE size as close to the 255/70 that I have now..by that I mean that I want a good bit of sidewall (I hate the idea of low profile tires on my ride with all that wheelwell space) Michelin? Pirelli? What???

5) Any stress on steering, suspension, or other components that I should be worried about?

6) How much do you think book value is on my premium factory rims with goodyear ATS's (that still have 80% of their tread left)? They're in pretty decent shape for 4 year old rims...

Thanks guys, you all are priceless when it comes to helping out fellow Explorians!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cousin got them for his 98gt last month off of ebay they look sweet:D

Get Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes 285/60/17 you will have plenty of sidewall that's what several people on the site run I know tbomb and myself do. Awesome tire great traction in all weather and mud.

Originally posted by hornz2000
Get Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes 285/60/17 you will have plenty of sidewall that's what several people on the site run I know tbomb and myself do. Awesome tire great traction in all weather and mud.

Hmm, mud you say? Somehow I can't beleive that. Even most AT tires I've seen are horrible in mud.

Get Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes 285/60/17 you will have plenty of sidewall that's what several people on the site run I know tbomb and myself do.

285? Can somebody give me a crash course in determining size? I thought I'd have to use something like 255/85/R17...How does that work? Maybe I have the numbers backwards...

Don't the Pirelli's suck in snow though? (they're still at the top of my list, but I like to take all these things into consideration ;) )

OK you know what I mean not like off-roading mudding just the occasional mud that I drive in not to purposely "mud" but because it is in the way of the destination I am trying to get to...Sorry Spas no snow in Texas ask Tbomb about that...Give me a break jason geez.:rolleyes:

I don't think a 255/85 tire is made??

The first number is how wide the tire is, in millimeters. The second number is how tall the sidewall is in percent to the width.

Spas.. im trying to get a pair of the same wheels. My brother-in-laws, Brother-in-law (freind of mine) Just got a 2001 GT. As soon as he got it he went out and got the chrome Corba wheels and put them on. So now im trying to take the factory bullitt wheels that are sitting in his garage off his hands! Get some pics. We want to see what tey look like !!!

a 275/50/17 will be about the same height as your 255/70/15-16? maybe a 1/2 inch shorter or less. a 285/60/17 is gonna be quite a bit taller than the tires you have now. they are tight on a stock X, may rub on even a 1" drop.

Okay guys, I'm a little worried about the proper size tire now...what is the difference between a 285/60 and a 275/50? Obviously one's going to be smaller than the other...does anyone have a diagram or pictures to show me what the physical differences are? Thanx!

Also, is the weight difference going to be noticable?

Okay, never mind-I've been told that the closest overall diameter is 275/60/r17 :D Now, to find the right brand....

spas... i am a mechanic and work at wheel works, so i know a decent amount about rims/tires.... most of the weight will be from the wheels.... tires for the most part in the same rim size tend to be about the same wieght.... go to www.4lo.com and use there "metric tire conversion" to find out about different sizes and widths to be converted into inches...... about a 255/85/17 :eek:? holy crap! that is way to much sidewall (and they dont make them ;) ) that would be like a 34" tall tire!!!!!!!

personally, i would say the bridgestone parada or something along the lines of nitto or the pirellis

Here is a earlier picture of my 98 Sport on Enkei 17x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes 285/60/17..no lift or drop either.

car2.jpg

Thats about what the tires will look like.

Attachments

• truck07.jpg
    truck07.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,146

Well, Pirellis are still at the top of my list, especially after seeing the pics..thank you for posting them!

I remember reading an article in some sport truck mag about yokohama tires...the author said that he had to pull over after about three miles because he thought that he had a flat or something...turned out that it was the tire itself that was so damn noisy! lol....I know what I'm NOT getting ;)

the ONLY yokohama i would ever purchase are the the Avid v4s or the A520s..in my opinion all the other yokohamas suck!!! and the geolander at are the ****tiest tire known to man other than firestone wilderness atx with a dot id begining with VDHL... the geolanders dont balance well, wear out funny, and are basically just defective in general....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

D'oh.....I forgot one of the more important details! How do I get the Mustang emblem off the centers of the rims? And any ideas on what to replace them with and where I can find them?

Back