• Register Today It's free!

factory amp location

shoes

Reaction score
City, State
P-town, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
i bought my 97' XLT used a while back and i am now just gettin to put a new audio system in. I know that i have the Premium Sound package but i don't know were they installed the factory amp. i know that if i were to buy a wire harnes for a new HU i would have to bypass the factory amp. how does the wiring for that work. any help is greatly appreciated
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wiring will run from the HU to where the amp is. The factory amp is behind the passenger interior panel in the cargo area.

There is a multitude of information about doing this... Search for amp bypass and you will probably find more than you will care to read.

And Dag Nabbit Alec.. You're EVERYWHERE! I always seem to respond to stuff like this right after you ;)

thanks for your time and input ! :cool:

amp bypass

the factory amp is located near the wheel well in the back passenger side. you will need to remove the whole back panel. lift the carpet and CAREFULLY pull out the plugs that secure the panel. you will need to remove the coat hook as well. be careful when buying your amp bypass. i bought one form best buy and it was correct on one end and wrong on the other. it ended up being good only as a wiring guide for my splicing. good luck and enjoy your X! allen in Tampa

passenger side wheel well panel that covers the amp

How do I go about removng that panel (I've a1997 Mercury Mountaineer, with Premium Ford-but think the amp is dead-radio cannot be heard if a window is down while going down the freeway)-bought a new DUAL Headunit but can't for life of me figure out how to go around the existing amp (that I believe is not working) how do I get to it to bypass it? Thanks,

Back