1993 HP D44 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 HP D44 swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... this explains your for sale threads :)

And I agree with Robb, pics!!!!!11 :D

This thread means that I was willing to answer any questions about my swap that anyone might have. Pics are still getting developed!

Finally got some pictures. My computer sucks and it takes like 30 minutes to upload one picture. These ones aren't that good. There are more coming though. Solid Pics

No, it is cut down 6 "s. It just looks so wide because the wheels are 15x10's, but they only have like 2.5"s of backspacing so they sit way outside the fenders. Not really what I wanted, but $250 for a set of beadlocks, can't beat that.

Picture

Got some new Pics up of the new steering and such. More to come. Let me know what you think.
NEW PICTURES

Looks awsome! Yours is the same color/body as mine...makes me miss her (in the shop getting new clutch). Anyway I do have a question. I've read around here about doing a SAS myself once I get out of college. I read that alot of people get an old doner bronco or F-150 to basically pirate all the parts from, by doing this many of the parts like the radius arms will pretty much bolt on. Is this what you did? I was under the impression that when/if I take this on it would take much longer than a weekend, just curious since it took me 1 day to just put my aal's on. but i'm slow :)
Anyway looks good

Later
CP :D

what size tires do you have? it looks awesome

wes

I have 35's. I used the stuff from a 78 bronco, but it is not really bolt on. I had to build a new t-case crossmember because my old one went with the lift. You have to drill holes, or plasma cut holes where all of the brackets bolt on. I went at it really hard. I started on a friday after work and was done on sunday and that included putting in an aal and building shackles to level it. I also had all of the parts together ahead of time. That is what takes the most time is getting all the parts together. If you do decide to do it, just plan and make sure you have everything you need. Thanks

WOAH :eek: That thing is a monster. Great job!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Hokie the cotter pin is holding in the wrist pin for the radius arm. I wristed the pass. side arm to allow it to flex more. If you take out the wrist pin the axle pivots off of another pin that is permanantly in the radius arm.

How did your springs come out? I was noticingyour right front not sitting well on the axle:
91663185cMAXCZ_ph.jpg

it came out ok. It just sits kind of funny on there because of the way that the lower mount and the spring matchup. I haven't notice any ill effects or anything though and it rides real nice.

That's cool. Nice work. X is looking good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nick,
I am curious if you can tell me about how you cut down the axle. also with your steering, it looks like a DOM tubing and heim joints. Is there anything tricky here? How do you alaign this?

91663185cMAXCZ_fs.jpg

Back