• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack

ArBiTeR

Reaction score
City, State
CHelmsford,Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Been seein the X's with no roof racks and i am liking it alot. I'm one of those people who like a nice clean truck all the way around. My Q's are how hard is it to install and how big are the holes that are left n how do u plug em up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do what i did, just remove the crossmembers on them, the big things that go from one side to the other, to remove them all you do its unscrew the twist knob on each side and take it off..the twist knob looks like a big gear you shouldn't have to search for it, i guess its what you use to adjust them forward or backwards but if you just back them out all the way they will pull off...

i did mine and its 10x better..... i hear that to remove the railings it takes quite a bit of work.
good luck...

I think those railings are riveted in place. If they are then they must be drilled to get the railings out. Once out you could fill them with bondo, sand, prep, and paint. If I was to do this (maybe next summer), I would figure out a way to screw the 4 hooks on all four corners and leave them there but out of site. Atleast I'd still be able to put something big on top but, ofcourse, nothing heavy.

To remove the rook rack is not hard at all, There are six screws that go into the roof. Unscrew them and take the side rails off.Then if you want put the screws back in the holes. the only thing is when you put the screws back in you can see them and there is like a ring around the screws almost like a washer that is silver. So what I did was painted the rings and the screws black to match the truck. It looks fine and I like it alot better with the rack on.

Does it go flush against the roof or does it stick out a bit? Any leaks?

The screws don't go flush with the roof but I still like it just paint the screws and rings the same color it'll look fine. As far as leaks no leaks, Had them off for about 5 months and we had plenty of rain.. So leaks, Nah

Sportcrazie is right, taking off the roof rack is pretty easy. I only had some minor difficulties because the bolts holding down the bars were REALLY tight- like I had to make a 8 foot breaker bar tight!!!:eek:
I took them off when I had my car painted...unfortunately I forgot to plug them :rolleyes:

I removed my entire roof rack about 2 months ago for a paint job.

The runner-skid-rail-doo-hickie things between the outer rails are rivited in. It's not a big chore to remove them, but you will have 4 holes each that will need to plugged. They do sit down in grooves so I would do what SPORTCRAZIE suggested and just take off the cross member and the side rails only.

Hell, I like the rack, it only makes my Ex look taller.
(Although I cant park in the garage....)

I have seen removed tracks before, and the roof looked like it had big holes there, so maybe the mounting equipment differs between years.....

I don't know what holds them up there, as My x never had racks, just a nice, clean roof :D

Crankcase, ever thought of putting one up there? It'll prove my theory. People want what they don't have and people that do have it, don't want it. :rolleyes:

Personally, I only took the crossbars off and left the railings alone because if I need to use it, I can just put the crossbars back on and I'm in business. Leaving the railings on doesn't make it look bad at all. I know it has a little thingy sticking up but I can still use it if I ever need it.

Back