MAD CLUTCH PROBLEMS!!!

Josh S.

can't kick the habit
Reaction score
City, State
Seabeck, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 sport 4x4
So I drive outta my driveway this morning to go take a math test, and the damn thing craps out on me right around the corner!!(at least it happened so close to home). Sooo, I parked the ****, ran back up the freakin hill, got the other car, and blasted it to school. I had to run like a mile when I got there so I wouldn't be late for my math test, and then I end up bombing the heck outta the test. Then, my freakin cell phone battery dies so I cant even call anyone to figure out what the $%&# is going on?! So thats where I'm at right now...pissed off as hell on a damn Friday!! That sucks *end rant*

Now for the problem...
1)clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor quite easily. There is a loose floppy feeling to the pedal.

2)clutch isn't engaging so I can't get it into gear at all to move it.

note: I opened the clutch fluid reservoir for the first time ever last week to scope out the fluid level and it was fine.

note 2: I don't know if this is clutch related, but when it was working, shifting was sorta loud, and sometimes when i pushed in the clutch after driving in first or second gear, you could hear a clack clack when the pedal was in and it was still in gear.

note 3: when I used to go around tight turns(like in parking lots) with the truck in first gear and the pedal pushed in, it would go clack clack clack around the tuight turn...however this could be detroit locker in rear related.

Any help would be appreciated so I don't get gouged at a shop and so I can tell them what the problem is. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I realize you checked the clutch fluid reservoir, but I would start by checking the slave cylinder. I am not considering any other part of the message other than #1. This is where I would start looking.

Maybe a hydraulic line busted or something. Look under the truck for leaking fluid. Or the slave or master crapped out on you suddenly.
Originally posted by Josh S.
....pissed off as hell on a damn Friday!! That sucks *end rant*
Know the feeling, I have been working on my truck all week, one thing after another, fuel pump, regulator, starter, plug wires, now white smoke, still can't drive it. AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

You said you checked the resivoir last week, you did put the cap back on securely right? It sounds like it might have been loose and either worked a bunch of air into the system so it needs a good bleed. The clacking sounds like the detroit.

Check the inspection cover on the tranny if it's dri in there chances are your slave is ok. Your master may have gone bad. Your clutch tends to go out with time. Much like brakes do. If it's your master clyinder. your in good shape. Not to hard to replace. I'v hear there in a plastic mechanisim in there that tends to break. This may be a sign of things to come so watch out.

Well I talked to some people about the problem, and it seems to be getting more clear. i still don't know what busted, but I'm gonna start taking it all apart tomorrow morning to find out.

New developments: I looked underneath cuz I saw a small puddle, and there is fluid leaking outta somewhere under there. I looked up between the tranny and the oilpan, and there is a small little space where you can look in and see the flywheel I guess(the big wheel with little teeth around it. The oil was dripping (super slowly) out of this opening.

I managed to drive the thing 7 miles to my mom's house where I will be able to work on it. Pressure seems quite low now, but after about 3 or 4 miles I built up enough pressure by driving it around, and everything seemed almost normal! Shifting at first was very rough though...any other diagnoses???

lonestar--sorry to hear about you truck man, hope everything gets taken care of for you.:(

Thanks to all of you for your help so far!!:chug:

If you got oil down there Josh It's your slave cylinder. Now your not in such good shape. You going to have to drop the tranny to replace this. might as well do the clutch while your down there. This isn't an easy job in my opinion. I am dreading doing the same thing right now. Again if there is oil in the bell housing, seen through the inspection cover on the same ,you got a bad slave. If you got oil, you also have a contaminated flywheel. You have to rip it apart so replace the tranny seals, clutch, resuface the flywheel, new slave. The jobs a pain so do everything once.

Originally posted by ipozestu
The jobs a pain so do everything once.
Now thats some good advice that I plan on taking. Well, we got pretty much everything off today, just need to take apart the clutch part now. T-case is down and in the garage, tranny is out too. I checked my clutch fluid res. and it was completely dry. Everything seemed pretty dry in there with no oil sprayed everywhere or anything. We checked the slave cylinder and that thing is totally FUBAR. No pressure whatsoever. Whats left is to take that thing off, then take off the pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel.

One thing we can't figure out from a quick glance was how to dosconnect the hydraulic tube from the slave cylinder. Any ideas??? Theres supposed to be some special tool so I gotta look into that tomorrow. So far I plan on replacing the:

-slave cylinder/throwout bearing
-clutch disc
-pressure plate
-that other bearing thingy(forgot the name)
-resurface flywheel and get everything balanced together(is this necessary??)
-anything else while I'm down there?

I'm thinking of throwing in a Centerforce Gold clutch. Does anyone have experience with these? What exactly comes with the Centerforce clutch. Thanks a lot!

Everything seemed pretty dry in there with no oil sprayed everywhere or anything. We checked the slave cylinder and that thing is totally FUBAR. No pressure whatsoever.
Check the master and the hydraulic lines. If the slave is dry, the fluid had to go somewhere.

-resurface flywheel and get everything balanced together(is this necessary??)
I was wondering the same thing. From everyone that I spoke to at every clutch manufacturer, yes it is. It gives the new clutch a fresh pallet if you will. Supposed to increse the life of the clutch significantly. As for balancing I have never heard of doing this to a fly wheel, I'm sure it can be done. Those Hyd fittings are a bear. If I'm not mistaken you should be able to use the same clips as you would for the fuel fittings. They are a quick disconnect as well. Sounds like you have all of your bases covered. When you buy the clutch it comes with most of the stuff you need. As for other stuff I was told I should change the seals eng, tranny. IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it. I really didn't want to get into the seals.
As for center force clutches I don't have any experience with them except what I have read. I guess their good. I ended up going with SPEC stage 2. really nice set up. Kevlar disc, poweder coated housing. Should last for a long time. The guys over on RPS have been dropping these in for a while they love 'em.
Herer's the link.http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html
clutch depot
the fluid had to go somewhere.
It is probably slushing around inside the bellows for the slave.

So here's your slave duh right.
15573sc_install_027.jpg

This is the HYD fitting you can see the little metal retaining fingers in there.
15573sc_install_026.jpg

very similar thing happened to me also. We took it to a shop and replaced everything your are going to including the master cylinder. My pedal went to the floor with no pressure also so i'm pretty sure the master was bad, I also couldn't bleed it...went under it cracked the nipple and not a darn thing came out...felt like I got crushed by a dollar sign! My dad had to drive 80 miles up here with a car dolly to tow it to a shop back home....1000 later it shifts like silk. Might want to consider replacing the master as well, the mechanic said my clutch was a b*tch to bleed though...nothing be air!

Later
CP

p.s. the other bearing thingy =? pilot bearing

Great info, thanks a lot guys. I got the pressure plate off and the clutch yesterday, and put the new slave on. The hydraulic was a superbitch to get off. I basically had to pry and rip it out of the green part. Thanks for the pics BTW ipozestu. I finally figured out that they were those spider clip fittings inside, but there was no space around the fitting to get the damn tool in there, so I just had to tear the freakin thing out. Oh well, its out now. On more thing...my new slave doesn't have the rubber bellows on there. Is that cool? Also, the old one with the bellows had a throwout bearing like that pic, where its just sitting on top of the bellows. Is it supposed to slip off or be connected? The new one has it connected. On this note, I talked to 4wheelparts about a centerforce 2 clutch, and he said it came with a pressure plate, a the clutch discs, and then a throwout bearing too. wtf? I thought the slave and throwout were one piece and that I already had one on the new one??? I dunno, I'm kinda lost now, maybe you guys have some more insight.

You might want to double check your slave. I read that there was two different ones. One being much better than the other. I think they both are Ford parts, one was just a improved part.

Josh S. try to post some pictures. the picture above of the slave cylinder is what you should have. the slave cylinder incorporates the throwout bearing, its all the same thing, just that one piece. i have Ford part numbers and prices for all the clutch components if you need them.

also, you dont need a special tool to remove the tube from the slave cylinder. don't rip it out either! you can use your hands, or with a little help with a screwdriver or something. i left my pictures on another computer, but just push IN (towards the slave cylinder) the white plastic ring around the tube. that pushes in the silver metal springs you see in the picture above. at the same time pushing the whitering in, pull the tubing out. nothing should leak cuz valves immediately seal each side. technically, according to manuals, you can disconnect and connect this fitting without needing to bleed or refill.

Damnit. Well, I have a digi cam right next to me but no freakin patch cable for it. the slave i got has a spring spiraling around it. I guess I shoudl probly go to ford to get it instead. Whats the price on the slave from FORD??? the one i got was like 76.99 or something. If Kragen Phucked me again I'm gonna be freakin pissed!!

The slave should come with the throw out brng, the clutch should come with the idle brng that goes in the fly wheel. The clutch should also come with the spacer thingy that goes between the rpessure plate and the slave. make sure you got a motorcraft slave for it. It doesn't sound like you got the right piece to me. Without pics dunno.

You got it dude. Get the motorcraft. It'll last longer, no questions. Refer to the auto chain post. Pep Boy Folly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back