Sagging driver door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sagging driver door

dgibson

Elite Explorer<br>ECX member
Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach, va (originally from AR, go Hogs)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
My driver door has been sagging for months. At first I didn't know what was the matter so I would just continually slam the door until it shut all the way. That was all good and fine until the door handle snapped off one day. It started acting up REALLY bad this weekend and I couldn't get it to shut all the way. I left a football game on Saturday and was driving down the road when my door flew open and I almost fell out.

Well, enough was enough. I went to advance auto and got the hinges. Replaced them, but talk about a pain in the butt. It was a pain, but it's done and now my door shuts pretty good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what did that run ya? mine is doing that pretty bad.

$5 a piece. Me and my girlfriend's dad did it.

No hinges, just hinge pins

You don't need to do the entire hinge. Just the Hinge pins and Bushing. They are about $5 a piece.

If your door is still not closing well, check to make sure the little plastic is still on the Door Striker. They usually fall apart when the Hinges Sag because the door is hitting the Striker wrong and it beats the crap out of the Striker plastic.

The plastic on the striker of mine is gone, but we adjusted the striker as well and my door shuts great now. All we replaced was the pin and bushing.

I did the same on my 94 EB, just the lower pin on the drivers side (i still need to do upper on pass) What a thumbs up job. Simple, not too time consuming, and you feel GOOD when you shut the door and it works perfectly :)
Time <45 min
Cost 4.99 +tax
Tools Grinding bit for drill, punch, hammer
Scott

sweet. i will looking into fixing that really soon.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but i need to replace the door handle and hinge pins on my brother 92. Me and a mechanic at work looked at the hinge pin on the DS, top, but i couldn't even get the bushing off with a chisel and hammer! Any advice?

Also, where can i get a door handle? This things has broken completely off and i'm tired of rolling the window down to shut the door!

Door Hinge

The door hinge pin has to be romoved.
Take a 3/8 drill bit and drill up from the bottom of the Hinge Pin. Once you drill off the Swaged over material you should be able to wiggle the pin up and out. If there is anything left to the Bushings they should crumble out of the other side of the hinge.

You need to buy a Pin/bushing Kit to replace what you drilled out. I may have listed that in my original Post , I didn't look back in the thread before writing this.

Man what a PITA. It took me and a mechanic at work just about all day working on and off with this thing, now the door doesn't shut correctly, so we have to work on that today! But thanks for getting back man!

Sorry you are having such a hassle.
I put a Jack stand under the end of the door, unbolted the one side off the door and was able to easily drill out and replace bushings and new pin. Rock the door back up toward the hinge, line it up with the original scuff marks and it closed sh*tty but then I replaced the Striker and it's smooth as can be. that took me 30 minutes. I was as happy a s a puppy with two peters.

You might also have to adjust the bar the door latches on. That's what I had to do.

The striker bolt.

We could have drilled out the bushing, but the replacements i had looked funny so we had to try to keep everything in tact, that's why it was a pain. Once we figured out how to do it, the bottom was a snap.

I worked on it some more today and i could not get the door to close. I think i figured it out though, looks like my replacement striker bolt bushing it to fat, so i may have to slim it down a little bit, we'll know here in a few anyways.

The striker for the doors are smaller then they are for the rear hatch. and smaller then the Chevy cars.

Good luck

This should be in the useful thread area...

I replaced the passenger pins on my 92 yesterday.

I started by putting two jack stands under the door, one on each end, then adjusted them so they were in contact with the bottom of the door supporting weight.

I had two friends help, both holding the door from each side. Unbolt the hinges from the door, and unplug my speaker wire, then set door aside.

then using the die grinder, remove the end of the pin, then using a punch, hammered it out.

I cleaned the hinges, then used heavy grease on everything as it went back together. I also bought a new plastic piece for the door striker and adjusted everything back.

I'm amazed with how well the door shuts, and all my passengers in it have noticed the change too.

Now I just have to find a new door panel to replace my ripped off door pull.

Yeah that's what i did, except i didn't take the door all the way off. I just ground of the head of the bushing and then just punched it threw. Also used the grease.

I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow to get a door handle, hopefully!

Hinge Pin and Striker Numbers

Many auto parts places has a small section called HELP.

These parts are usually packaged in red cardboard.

Replacement Hinge pin: HELP# 38410

Doorr Striker : HELP #38445

That's what i used. The pins were a little bit long, so once i figured out the right length i just cut the rest off.

Back