freeze plugs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

freeze plugs?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
where would the freeze plugs on a 92 4.0L be located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like there will be six in total. I know there are a lot of stories about this but has anyone ever seen a block crack from being frozen? ignore the arrows the freeze plug holes will be the larger holes above the bolt hole locations in this picture.

Attachments

• block.gif
    block.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 559

Usually there below the exhaust manifold, you should be able to see 3 on each side through the wheel well, there are also one in the rear of the motor behind the flywheel.
It lools like there is one on each head in the rear also...

I am just skimming through the pages of the haynes manual and looking at the pictures.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that they arn't really freeze out plugs as they are just there for the making of the casting..and that during a freeze they may pop out...giving the name "freeze out plugs"??

I know there are a lot of stories about this but has anyone ever seen a block crack from being frozen?
well there was water + radiator cleaner in there at the time. but how likely is it that that is my problem? blue ox - you don't sound so sure

Originally posted by wpurple
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that they arn't really freeze out plugs as they are just there for the making of the casting..and that during a freeze they may pop out...giving the name "freeze out plugs"??

YES! Somebody else who actually knows the real meaning...

Yes, the CORE plugs are there to let the sand out of the cast...It is one of those things that has gotten a different name over time though, much like Skill saw and Crescent wrench.....

or channel locks or vise grips

those are brand names but over the years have become common term for locking pliers and water pump pliers

Back