Aluminum radiator install

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
A guy I know that runs his own radiator business built me an aluminum one for the Explorer. Got it yesterday, and was able to get most of it installed today. I am highly impressed with it, I had not problems installing and except needing to trim the pass. side mounting tab. And that is nothing he could have helped since he did not have my Explorer. No complaints here, just have to make some mounting tabs for the fan shroud, and since I have a few pieces of aluminum sitting in the garage, everythings cool:cool: I am trying to get a group buy on these things, so if you're interested, click the link in my sig!!

787rad1-med.jpg

787rad2-med.jpg

787rad5-med.jpg

787rad6-med.jpg

Now I just need to get a nice radiator cap, anyone know the pressure of the stock rad. caps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's 16 lbs if memory serves.

So why didn't you and your friend offer this a year ago?
:D I needed a new radiator back then.

So how many rows on your rad? 1 row, 2 row or 3 row?

And also, tell me about your air intake tube. It looks similar to my insulated one, or is that an aluminum one.
What material is that intake tube. I'm interested...

If his business had existed a year ago, I probably would have:D
I did a little searching, and it looks like a stock cap is 7 lbs. but that is going on assumption. I could not find anywhere that said "stock pressure is..." And I want to go ahead and order the cap tonight, but don't want the wrong pressure.

And on the radiator, I actually do not remember how many rows, lol! He mentioned it to me, but I totally forgot. :p

My intake tube I got from a group buy on here awhile back, and its a polished aluminum tube, but I wrapped it with some heat deflective tape. They are trying to get a group buy on one that is going to be rubber, but that has been going on for AWHILE now.....

Anyone know stock cap pressure??

Originally posted by Limited Ex
I did a little searching, and it looks like a stock cap is 7 lbs. but that is going on assumption. I could not find anywhere that said "stock pressure is..." And I want to go ahead and order the cap tonight, but don't want the wrong pressure.

Anyone know stock cap pressure??

Just for you, I went out and opened the hood of my 94 Sport and it said 16 lbs on the cap; I have a stock Motorcraft RS-90 cap.

I'll have to find that thread on the rubber intake tube, I'm interested in that.

Cool man, thanks! And the radiator has two rows, each 1" wide.

And here is that intake thread I was talking about. You can see how long its been up and how far it has gotten:(

Now I can order my cap:D

I remember that thread now that u mention it.
I am probably going to relocate my intake tube, battery, and washer reservoir/rad overflow this spring; if I do that I'll need a 95-01 Explorer intake tube.

Got the shroud mounted today. Kind of looks like @ss since I had to finish up everything in the dark with a little fluorescent light to guide me. But, it's there, it works, no complaints:D I will have to get a pic tomorrow..

that looks really nice..does it have word printed on the other side to? facing out the grll that would look cool =)

i know im weird lol

It does have Arctic Chill on both sides, but since the A/C intercooler (I guess thats what it is...) is in front of the radiator, you can't see it:( But I agree, that would look quite nice:cool:

Now's your chance to go with an electric fan and ditch the clutch fan!

I had considered an electric fan, but I have read just about equal amounts of good and bad on them. So I think for now I may just stick with the ol' clutch. I may see if Tony (radiator builder) can make an aluminum shroud or something.....:cool:

I finally got everyting in today, got a nice radiator cap from Summit and got my shroud secured. So I am pleased:D Will get some pics tomorrow. Also found that the trans temp gauge that I got from Autometer will fit perfectly where my radio was. Along with the trans gauge, I am going to have two others in the radio hole, so I am off to the hardware store tomorrow to get some sheet metal to make the gauge pod!

How much ?

Yeah

He charged me $340, but if we can get enough people for a group buy, you can get what I have for $313.

Tempting,,,,,,,,

does he make these for any vehicle? i am looking for a replacement for the yota... well possibly.....

Yes, he will build them for any application so long as he has the measurements. When he did mine, the only thing he did was take a tape measure and get what he needed. The only time my radiator came out was when I was installing the new one:D

Back