Show us your custom bumper photos!! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show us your custom bumper photos!!

Hmmm midsouth jeeps club where do yall normally wheel at. Yea I know what you mean this is my daily driver for now until I can afford another vehicle. Ive been trying to take it easy so I can stop breaking stuff. Last time out I busted a hole in my front diff(stupid rough country drop plate and no bumpstop), busted a hole in my m1350 t-case, I guess the chain wound up and hit the case, now replaced with a m1354, broke the drivers side hub, and almost flipped over backwards. Since then I havent been back lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm midsouth jeeps club where do yall normally wheel at.

Different places, but mostly out of town. They are big on Superlift but I haven't been up there with them yet. We wheeled Pickwick this past Sunday.

I thought this thread was about custom bumpers? The last several threads have nothing to do with bumpers. Try using the PM feature. FOCUS PEOPLE!:p::rolleyes::confused:

Here's mine, still planning on a custom rear bumper with swing-away.

IMG_2718.jpg

Looks awesome! I really like the look of the grill guard, its similiar to the ARB style
Also do you have any side pics? Or at least from the front corner.

Here are a couple of mine that I built for some of my vehicles.

DSCN4293.jpg

This is a four sided bumper meaning it is not just the top and front, the bottom and back make a complete tube, it was vary stout.

DSCN4292.jpg

More detail of the same bumper.

DSCN4291.jpg

The finished product.

DSCN4295-1.jpg

One that I built for our work truck

Believe it or not that bumper was built using a sawsall an arc welder (not mig) and a acteyline torch. The lines on the curve is where I would apply heat when it was red I would bend some more. If it flexed back too much I would tack it in place. Back then I didn't have alot of money but I did have more time. I had a hard time trying to find a company to chrome it. It weighed over 100 pounds when done.

Looks awesome! I really like the look of the grill guard, its similiar to the ARB style
Also do you have any side pics? Or at least from the front corner.

Funny that you mention ARB, as I scored the grill guard for free as it was cut off of an ARB bumper that the guy didn't like the look of. I figured I'd weld it to my bumper as it would complete the look of it. Here's some more pics for you.

IMG_2799.jpg

Under the front plate is a 2" receiver
IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

The passenger side of the grill guard is bent inwards a tad thanks to a tight squeeze between some boulders! :D

IMG_2787.jpg

Just 2x2 square tube with stock bumper mounts with plate reinforcements. Mesh welded in behind 3/4" uprights. Obviously NOT setup for winch mount, just maximum clearance.
3191.jpg

3193.jpg

if u dnt mind me asking, i have a project im workin on, i have a 92 explorer sport crushed. were did u get ur cowl hood i cnt find one anywere for this damb thing

if u dnt mind me asking, i have a project im workin on, i have a 92 explorer sport crushed. were did u get ur cowl hood i cnt find one anywere for this damb thing
You might want to use the quote button so whoever you're trying to ask will know.

PM's work great too!

This is a rough design of a pair of bumpers I am thinking about building for my Ex. The front bumper though im thinking about changing to be lighter.
These are rough (very rough) sketch of what im wanting to do but it gives ya an idea.

Bumpersdetailresize.jpg

This is a rough design of a pair of bumpers I am thinking about building for my Ex. The front bumper though im thinking about changing to be lighter.
These are rough (very rough) sketch of what im wanting to do but it gives ya an idea.

Those designs look good. They'd work fine.

One way that I used to lighten mine was to build them, then clip off the back part of the tube. That cuts 25% of the weight off of each main tube -- not a small amount -- while preserving the look and strength.

Also, you can use 3/16" tube instead of 1/4 wall. That seems to help also. I built mine out of 1/4, but that's what I had, and I was going for strength enough to bash off trees and stuff.

Those designs look good. They'd work fine.

One way that I used to lighten mine was to build them, then clip off the back part of the tube. That cuts 25% of the weight off of each main tube -- not a small amount -- while preserving the look and strength.

Also, you can use 3/16" tube instead of 1/4 wall. That seems to help also. I built mine out of 1/4, but that's what I had, and I was going for strength enough to bash off trees and stuff.

Thanks for the Ideas :D after looking at bumpers and seeing first hand what happens when an exhaust pipe sticks strait back out and been squashed by taking a steep hill or coming off a dropp off and squashed I decided I want them to go out the back still so I thought I would just make them go through the bumper to solve that issue. and the front I want to keep down on the weight cause its so big so thanks for the imput :D

Froader, also I like the idea of shortening the lower bar. I didnt really think about that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back