GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
(I will also post this on the "For Sale" board)

I have talked Warrior Products into producing a run of fifteen lift shackles for Explorers. They are 3" wide, available in gold/zinc anodized or powder coated gray, and 8.5" long center to center at the bolt holes: producing 1.25" - 1.5" of additional lift. They will produce more runs if they find there is a market for them.

They are not set up to retail direct to the public. If you are interested, you must go to your local 4x4 shop and tell them you want the shackles. Of course the shackles will not be listed in their Warrior catalog so you will have to inform the shop owner to call Warrior Products and talk to Ken Bostwick who will verify that they are indeed available to ship out upon request to their retailers.

I hope I have brightened someone's day with this info. Happy Trails!

Gerald
<{{{><

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Gerald,
Can you tell me what the suggested retail cost will be, and I take it we could use these for the rear end instead of using the add-a-leaf for the torsion bar twist. Also is there a part number that we could reference. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

You betcha it's so you don't hafta do an add-a-leaf. My EB rides plenty stiff already.

Part #153 if you want the gray hammer tone or part #353 if you want gold/zinc anodized.

Warrior doesn't set retail prices, but their wholesale jobber cost will be $34 so they'll probably go for $39.95. That initially struck me as being a little high but these are H shaped complete braced brackets that are plated. I paid $22 for a set of cheap generic nonbraced shackle ladders cut from bar stock in order to tack weld them to my stock Explorer's, so I guess that's not too much after all.

They are starting the production today. It will be about two weeks before they finish and get them back from being plated. I'm betting they'll sell 'em all before they even get them back, just from members of this board. Dead Link Removed

Gerald

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 08-18-1999).]

This is great news and I am VERY interested in getting a set. I just want to confirm though...these will fit the 95+ explorers, right? Thanks for the info!!

Craig

Gerald, do you have a 4X4 store that would route the sale directly to members on this site since the company is not set up for direct sales? I would be interested in this product, but there isn't a store that I work closely with that I can order them through.

Craig,
They will fit ANY Explorer no matter what year model.

Pete,
Did you get a good enough answer from the question you posted on the other forum to get you to a good store in Santa Clara or somewhere else south of you? I don't know what good I could do for you from Dallas.....
Can't believe you don't have that many good 4x4 shops in your fantastically beautiful area (I guess GreenPeace shut 'em down or something?) Dead Link Removed

FYI, I worked in the San Mateo/Foster City area for awhile and absolutely fell in love with the area; I'd leave work early, go over to Skyline Dr or on to Half Moon Bay, flip a coin to see which way to go, and cruise Skyline or Hwy 1 for as long as I was in the mood for that weekend. Loved It!

Happy Trails,

Gerald

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 08-19-1999).]

Are you talking about the width of the spring? Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the rear leafs on 4 doors are only 2.5" wide.
Everyone better get out their tape measure before buying a set for their 4 door.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Picky, picky, picky. Dead Link Removed
Well, yeah, of course you're right about them being 2 1/2". I shoulda specified more clearly. The bolt hole in the back of the leafs for the shackle has spacer/bushing thingies that make it 3" wide where it bolts to the shackle. You gotta use a 3" shackle, not 2 1/2". Hope this clears that up.

I wouldn't expect the price you buy them for to be much better than $50. Most places have at least a 40% markup. I talked with a shop about this and they said it would most likely sell for $49.99 if they got it for $34. I asked a couple of shops if they would just buy them all and sell them mail order.. and I got a few nibbles.. but we will see what happens.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Thanks, Gerald. Yeah I am pretty happy out here. Grew up in Minnesota in farm country, so I did a lot of four wheeling at that time. It's harder to get to out here, but then MN doesn't have an ocean or mountains either!

I got a pretty good response on the shops. I knew about Four wheel parts wholesalers, but they are always so busy and the customer service there sucks. Plus they kind of turn their nose up at Explorers, so I was wondering if there was a smaller place that was more user friendly.

I just placed an order for a set of the shackles through Joe Flores at Desert Rat here in Tucson. They are set up for national distribution and he is now familiar with the shackles. If anybody is having trouble finding a shop to order these, you might try these guys. I don't know their final price yet though (sorry). Toll free, they are 1-800-528-3402 or (520)790-8502. Hope this helps anybody trying to get these.

Craig

[This message has been edited by CSimpson (edited 08-21-1999).]

Hi Gerald,
I'll take the Grey Powder coating. Just send me an Email with address so I know where to send my check. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Hey Good work Gerald! I just ordered a set from Desert Rat for $34.99 plus shipping. Should see something in 1 week to 10 days. I asked for Joe Flores, and asked about them. He said,"Where did you hear about these?" with a laugh. I told him about this website and he put me through to Lee in Mail Order. I can hardly wait. Just did some mild off-roading by Beuna Vista, Co this past weekend and could've used the extra clearance.
Thanks again. I'll send some photos of b4 and after pix as soon as I get them in.

Rob

Hi Ray!

Can you go ahead and order them from Desert Rat? They evidently are volume distributors for Warrior Products and getting them for less than Warrior's "jobber" wholesale. $34.99 retail is a great price!

Gerald

BTW, Warrior is supposed to ship the very first set out to me as soon as they are manufactured and I will post when I get them UPS. I suppose Desert Rat will be getting theirs at the same time, so after my post, all you guys that bought a pair should expect to receive yours within the next few days afterward.

Hi Gerald,
I just got off the phone with Lee at Desert Rat and got them ordered, $34.99 plus $13.00 shipping to me. Dead Link Removed They seemed real supprised at the responce they are getting Dead Link Removed
YOU DID GOOD!!!! THANKS

Now how about getting someone to make headers for the SOHC or a HD tire carrier/bumper for us. YOU DA MAN!!! Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed
------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 08-25-1999).]

I guess buying from desert Rat mail order gets you better service/price than you do locally. Desert rat told me it is going to cost around $55 for the shackes and that he couldn't tell me until he got them in. I can understand that but he sounded annoyed that I called to ask. This was my second call to them since the first call he hadn't even called to find out if they existed yet. He asked for my phone number and name (local number) and 2 days later I called him back (all I wanted to know was IF they could get them). Now I remember why I switched to Dick Cepek as my local 4x4 shop (over desert rat). I guess I'll call in an order using mail order before they are all gone... I would have loved to pay for the shackels now if I knew they were going to get them for me (before they were all gone).
Becuase of my experience with getting the shackes and them telling me that he couldn't find or think of any place to get extended brake lines I just spend another $460 at Dick Cepek who actually spent 10 minutes looking for my parts and found extended brake lines designed for the explorer and my 4 rs9000 shocks (he had to find part number from my measurements). Now if only Cepek was a dealer for warrior products.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

[This message has been edited by Maniak (edited 08-26-1999).]

Extremely simple bolt-right-on. Just lift the rear on jackstands till the wheels begin to just barely raise off the ground, then take a couple of wrenches, remove the stock shackles by removing the two bolts w/nuts holding each one, then replace with the new shackles.

Piece of cake. Even I can do it.
Gerald

im about to order these shackles but have one question.

do they bolt right on or do they have to be welded on?

thanks,
Jate

Hey Gerald,
I just got them today. won't be able to put them on until after the holiday. Anybody else get theirs yet? Dead Link Removed One more thing, is anyone going to change to poly bushings, instead of putting on the original rubber bushings?

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't recieved mine yet, but I think that going to poly bushings sounds like a good idea. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Back