285/75r16's on a '99 Eddie Bauer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

285/75r16's on a '99 Eddie Bauer!

I did it! Dead Link Removed

Heh heh heh heh..... Dead Link Removed

33's on a new model EB, and I've STILL got the original fenderwell and running boards....
HAH! Bet I'm the first in the nation (besides Trailmasters's; and hey, there's ain't an Eddie B.) Dead Link Removed

I Did It in spite of all the naysayers! I am ready to ROCK!

Gerald
'99 EB 4x4
Way cooler now! Dead Link Removed
BFG AT ko's and they are BOSS! Dead Link Removed
PS / is my '99 still considered stock, or is it now categorized as modified yet?

[Edited by GJarrett on 07-26-2000 at 08:56 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Gerald!

Let's see some pictures. How do the tires fit on the wheels? I have a set of 99 Explorer EB wheels on mine, but I went with 265/75/16's.

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

Hey Brett,

We'll have to wait on the pictures since I think I may be finishing my roll during the Kansas Heartland Run.

As far as your question on the fit goes, here's the story. Everyone at Discount Tire Warehouse said this was absolutely impossible. They are also all now waiting for me to return so they can take pictures and tell stories now that we have actually pulled this off.

To answer your question, no problem occurred on the tire fit to the wheel. Rim width worked fine. I tried 28 lbs pressure and it came out exact. I had them run a chalk crossways across the tire and at 28lbs it weared perfect across the entire tread.

Understand, I've got a whole 30 miles experience so far with these tires, so don't pay too much attention to me about them yet. I'll know more about if I need to trim any more fenderwell after taking it out on a real run.

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 02-13-2000).]

Brett,

I see you put the 265/16'S on an early model. Whats the set up?(lift,wheels,back spacing) any probs? Pics?

I wanted to put the 265/16s on my 91 with a Rancho lift but ran out of time to research and put on some 31/10.50-15 to be safe. I still want the 265/16 though.

Steve VB

Gerald,
Congrats! But one suggestion. Take it offroad BEFORE the Heartland run to check for rubbing problems. That way you can correct any problems without the pressure of a trail fix. And leave the sway bars hooked up at first. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

Steve,

I have a Duff 2 1/2 lift, 1999 Explorer / Ranger 16" factory alloys and 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires. So far I love the setup and have not had any rubbing problems. I'm not sure of the factory backspacing on the wheels, but they fit up great under the wheel wells. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will very soon.

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

Hey Gerald, congrats dude, I'm sure your truck looks great. I'm adding a leaf Tuesday and then 31x10.5 on stock 15"rims. With 33's you've got to be turning some heads. I look forward to the pic's.

------------------
Keach
98 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Edelbrock Shocks
Granatelli MassAirFlowSensor
Kurtz Kustom AirFilterKit

alright , gjarret how in the hell did you fit that , I have a 98 eddie baurer with buckshots(32x11.50) and at full turn and compresion they will give me a little rub. Ha Ha but this weekend is the end of rubbing , I got new sway bar links and torsion bars I am doing this week ,but this weekend me and a friend that owns a suspension shop are putting a two inch body lift from a ranger , we are now trying to figure out how to move the brush gaurd up with everything else, then I will see about running thirty threes,right now I just turned my bars and have new shackles. Please email me with mods and what kind of tires they are. mrjones98e@hotmail.com.

------------------
Ryan Jones
98 eddie baurer 4x4
2 inch lift
32x11.50 buckshots
manik brush gaurd and go rhino tail light gaurds
hella black majik driving light
jbl door speakers and kicker fifteen

92 explorer with two inches of lift
30x9.50 mud kings

mrjones98e@hotmail.com

Ryan,
No rubbing at all (while I am parked) Dead Link Removed

Seriously, I've got minor rubbing at full compression when the BGF AT ko's are turned just far enough that the outside edge of the tire lines up to rub with the rear EB molding on the front fender. At full turn they don't rub since the edge of the tire clears inside the fenderwell.

I had to do a lot to get it that way though. I'll email you with what I went through to get it done. I actually took my front fender off at the tire store while they were mounting them and drove home without a front bumper.

Gerald
'99 EB 4x4

Gerald,

Hey I would like to know how you did it too! Just currious. Do you mind posting what you did up on the board?

Thanks

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

Hey Gerald,
That's just too cool Dead Link Removed
Come on man, You have to share with all of us. You mean to tell me that you didn't get any rubbing on top at full compression?
Bills right about the sway bars, leave them on, then if you still don't get any rubbing, try it without the sway bars connected. He's right about checking out acouple of trails before you go to Tuttle Creek.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Seriously Gerald, the suspense is killing me. You better start giving details or else your going to have a few hundred Explorer owners knocking on your front door. The thing is, your tires are actually slightly larger than 33's. 33 inch tires measure about 32.5 inches in overall diameter, your tires are 32.8, only a little bigger, but bigger. The thing is, if the rest of us could run 33's, we would have to worry about rubbing at turn because you can get 33's with a 10.5 inch width (At least those of us with 15 inch rims), where as the 32's everyone is having rub at full turn are 11.5 inches wide. I'll stop rambling profusely now and just say, YOU BETTER START TALKING MAN!!!! I'm about 2 seconds from getting in my truck and driving to Dallas myself. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

Gee whiz, can't a guy take a nap? Actually, I've been completing a hockey puck lift to help the clearance.

I've got a little over 7 3/4" between the top of the tire and the fenderwell right now but I had my torsions at 1.5" lift so I can move those up some more if need be.

Swaybar removed, I cannot get hardly any rubbing at all bouncing around as hard as I can in a rough field, but hitting hard offroad will be different. THIS IS STILL WORK IN PROCESS. I can get a very slight rub under hard compression if the tire is turned just enough to line the outside edge of the tread as close as possible to the back of the wheel well. Under full turn the tire just goes back into the well where's more room and doesn't rub. Driving hard in town flying over railroad tracks and jamming down on dips in streets I cannot get any rubbing at all.

What I did:
1)Torsion twist /shackle lift to start
2)Moved the front bumper forward: used three or four washers per bolt to space out the front bumper as far as the bumper bolts will allow, about 1/2 - 5/8".
3)Carefully trim the front bumper's bottom rear -- that fake chrome stuff --to follow the curve of the top of the fenderwell. I was able to remove over an inch to provide additional front clearance for the tire. Then I spent a long time finish filing the cut to smooth it out and retain the curve. It looks factory; you have to really look to tell that it's been altered.
4) The most problematic clearance remaining was the back of the front wheel where that Eddie Bauer running board comes up to the wheel well. Looking at it from the front, it was about five or six inches thick/wide. It actually bows wider at the bottom in a bell shape. The tire rubbed the entire inside half of the molding at the bottom and pushed it back a good inch during turns. But the tire doesn't touch the outside part. So I carefully trimmed the inside half off and rounded it off also at the bottom. Like the front, no one will notice unless they really look for it and know how the original shape was.
5) One inch hockey puck lift. I only had to replace two body bolts with longer ones (the D ones behind the back seat) but was still able to use the original ones otherwise. The front ones under the hood though were a real squeeze but I got threads through almost the entire nut. I'll keep it checked to make sure they hold. They are resistance threads and I doubt they will move. And get this bonus: I didn't have to drop the fan shroud! I didn't think the one inch body lift would help since most of my clearance concern is front-to-back, but that's the final thing that knocked off what little rubbing I was getting. As far as top clearance, I added 1 1/2" radius to my tire but 3" lift between the torsion twist and hockey pucks, so I've got more height clearance than stock.

I have to work Monday so I won't be able to make it to Kansas. I may join some J**pers for a quick day trip a couple of hours away to see how much more fenderwell modification may be needed.

Once again, most of the rub potential occurs when the rear outside edge of the tire tries to clip the molding at partial turn. Even with all that I have done, it comes VERY close. If the tire was another inch wider, I don't think anything could keep it from rubbing during hard turns, short of trying to move the body back a little during the body lift. If anyone tries this using a wider tire or an aftermarket rim with backspacing that places the tire further out it may not work. You'll have to trim out more at the rear of the front wheelwell, and my Eddie Bauer trim is hacked off as far as it will go already. With XLT trim you may get 12.5" wide in there, but you gotta be willing to trim even more than I did.

I didn't mention anything about the back tires because they're no problem at all (that I have noticed so far).

Gerald

[Edited by GJarrett on 02-03-2001 at 04:40 PM]

In response to the other threads requesting pictures, well....

I am now waiting 10 days to get a left running board in from Ford (I just realized: this is a rich man's hobby, isn't it?). It seems I got all my mods done in time for Saturday's outing EXCEPT the left running board skidplate but was stupid enough to go anyway.

I tested my setup in Clayton, OK last weekend and can report it performed AWESOME (until the very last obstacle of the day -- a thigh-high boulder). We got lost off of a 3 rated trail and ended up cutting our own path through much tougher terrain until we realized we were lost and had to go back. I actually made it over that obstacle going out but didn't coming back. It ate several vehicles so I wasn't alone. There was one kid named Doug with a shiny new Sahara (well, it was nice and shiny when we started) that was having a nervous breakdown by the time we finished, trying to figure out how to explain what happened to his Jeep to his mother when he got home.

I never needed a strap or winch all day until that very last obstacle required a hi-lift jack in back and a pull in front to push me over. A couple of the Jeeps (4x4, but open diffs) were getting help throughout the day and one guy with a nice setup and winch had to winch himself up a rock hill that I made on my own. They're all Jeepers and proud of it, but ended up calling me "Jeep Eater" by the end of the day. A really cool bunch of people.

I wanted to post a picture all nice and Zaino pretty but if you guys still want to see it anyway straight off the trail I can post a "Whoops" picture here. You can still definately get an idea of what it looks like now and just use your imagination for when it's cleaned up.

Let me know and if so I'll go ahead and turn in the film for developing now and have a picture ready to scan in a few days.

Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"

We wanna see the Whoops photo! 4X4s look better dirty and offroad!

Hey Jeep Eater!
Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...
Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...
Pictures...Pictures...Pictures...
Get the Hint? Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 02-21-2000).]

Hey Jeep Eater! I sent my whoops pics. off to Rick so you should be seeing them soon! You guys are great!

------------------
Brian Green
92 2wd Explorer w/
6 inch Suspension lift
92 2wd Ranger w/
5.5 inch suspension lift
Trckmagik@aol.com

OKAY ALREADY! Dead Link Removed

I'll post them on the Clayton Summary thread on the Serious Explorations board. But it will be Wednesday before I can get them to the camera shop for developing, then I gotta find a buddy to scan them, then get them linked here. I'll try to have them up by this weekend.

Pictures are up on the "Clayton Summary" thread in the Serious Explorations forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back