How do Ilift 96 4x4 suspension 4"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do Ilift 96 4x4 suspension 4"?

djohan

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
Hey there fellow ford fanatics, Am a "newbie" to suspension work and need some input. Want to lift my 96 4X4 4". Know that shackles and or springs in back will work but,what about up front? Are there spindles that will let you keep the truck a 4x4? I am trying to avoid a torsion lift if possible. Thanks, D.J.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to start off by welcoming you to the site. You'll find anything and everything right here.

As for the lift. The only way to lift it 4" is the Trailmaster kit. I must warn you though it's kinda pricy. It will keep your bars lined up though.

Dead Link Removed

As for the torsion twist....I think you'd by pushing that large of a lift with just cranking up the bars and the doing the rear anyways.

Originally posted by leebo
I'd like to start off by welcoming you to the site. You'll find anything and everything right here.

As for the lift. The only way to lift it 4" is the Trailmaster kit. I must warn you though it's kinda pricy. It will keep your bars lined up though.

Dead Link Removed

As for the torsion twist....I think you'd by pushing that large of a lift with just cranking up the bars and the doing the rear anyways.
[/QUOTE

Thanks Leebo!

Leebo, Appreciate your input (knowledge). Thanks. Looks like exactly what i have been looking for. Keep on wheeling. Dave Johansen

I have sent a note to the tech people at 4wheelparts. They advertise the Explorer 4" lift for 95-2000. We all know this shouldn't be true. Considering the 95-97 rear torsion mounts are welded versus the 98-00 being bolted. Making the lift possible only with major modifications to the mounts. As soon as they reply I will let you know. I am sure it is just a typo on their part and it should read 98-00 not 95-00.

You get a shinny star my man.....

Good eye. Don't let this stop you though. I'm sure the lift would be able to be changed abit to work for the 96's. If worse comes to worse the ranger lift can be changed to work on the explorer. Check out Ray Lobato's truck to see what I mean. His is the truck that first turned me onto this lift. I've always though that the lifts for the newer explorer were for "looks", but at T-Haven his truck performed great.

I called 4 wheel parts and they said it would cost like $500 to $600 for install. He said they never did a explorer before but a few rangers trucks. so that was his idea on the install price. Dont know if that really includes 95 to 96 though.

Wonder what it would take (cost) to modify torsion mounts?

Thanks everyone for your posts, Am wondering what it would take (cost) to modify the 96 4x4's torsion mounts to accomodate the ranger lift kit. Probablly should give Ray a shout to see what he has had to do to get his chariot altered. Think that i will call the local 4X4 store and see if they have done any modifications like this. I don't ever recall seeing any raised suspensions on 96 Explorers toodling down the highways or back roads around where I live (San Francisco Bay area) Must be either: a) Either very expensive, or: b) Very complicated.

d

96 Explorer

I'm giving Fabritech a call real soon on a straight axle conversion I recieved an email from them and they have a kit for the 95-97 Explorers... it may be a pricey choice but I think it may be well worth it...

Karol
explorereb96@ford-trucks.net

here is a copy of the email and reply

That kit is also available. It looks just like the one in the Ranger seen on the website. I just don't have any pictures of one of those trucks that we have sold a kit to.
Let me know if I can help. Thanks
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2000 10:30 AM
To: customerservice@setstr8.com
Subject: Straight Axle conversion

Well I see that you have information on the straight axle conversions for F150 and Ranger from a torsion set up...I was wondering if you would soon have one for the Explorer (95-97)?

Thanks,
Karol

If you find a less expensive place to install in the Bay area let us know. That price I quoted was from 4 wheel parts in Oakland for a ranger/explorer kit.

Give ray a yell. He lives right outside of the bay. He's also knows of a shop that does a ton of custom work for him and I could tell they do a heck of a job.

From the sticker on his front window....."Trains 4x4 and offroad". Ring a bell???

just recieved an email from fabtech motor sports. it said "we do not offer a lift for the 4wd explorers". it seems there is nothing complete for 95-97 4x4's.

Originally posted by GRNMACHINE
just recieved an email from fabtech motor sports. it said "we do not offer a lift for the 4wd explorers". it seems there is nothing complete for 95-97 4x4's.
Oh well Grnmachine, I will keep looking, Am waiting to hear back from Ray who has a modified 97 4X4 with the Ranger kit. Thanks for your help. dj

Originally posted by leebo
Give ray a yell. He lives right outside of the bay. He's also knows of a shop that does a ton of custom work for him and I could tell they do a heck of a job.

From the sticker on his front window....."Trains 4x4 and offroad". Ring a bell???
Yep, thanks Leebo, Appreciate the advice, Just sent a "Help me" to Ray and am hoping to hear back from him. Thanks for "taking me under wing". Nice to be new to a forum and to get so much help. Take it easy. d

just feel lucky you don't own a jeep.....then I'd have to turn on you

Reply from 4WheelParts...

Everything you are going to need for the lift on those will be added in the kit.

Thank You
Robert Lowery
http://www.4wheelparts.com/

mailto:RLowery@4wheelparts.com

877-474-4821 ext. 5202

Please let us know if you find a better price elsewhere, We wont be undersold!!!!

!!!NO REASONABLE OFFER REFUSED!!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 11:49 AM
To: tech@4wheelparts.com
Subject: Explorer lift kit?...

Your advertising of the T/MFB124SSV 95-2000 Ford Explorers 4wd 4" lift with shocks has me wondering. I know that the rear torsion bar mounts on the 95-97 Explorers is different than the 98-00. They are welded versus bolt on in the 98+ models. Does this kit truly address this and make it possible to lift the 95-97 without major modification?
Please let me know. Thank you for your time.

I'd now like to know how this is done?? I may just drop by the local shop and start to pick their brain a bit. Is the the answer to the unmod years??

hey soupbone, there's a shop in San Leandro that might install it for you.. I did my lift (on a 93 Navajo), and took it to them for the alignment.. Was talking to the them about it, and they said they would of done the install.

They do frame/alignment/brake work on *everything* (and I mean *everything*).

Call them at 510-569-4285, ask for Marty, explain what you want.

I really don't trust 4wheelparts in Oakland.. When I was talking to them, they was like "Explorer? You can offroad that thing?"

I sent Robert Lowery another note asking him if he was able to send any photos and/or instructions of the lift for the torsion bar area and he said nope. Oh well.

I know Djohson has done this lift on his 98 sport http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23393. Maybe if he sees this he can provide some much needed insight into this concern for the rear torsion bar mounts. Or maybe even Ray Lobato, who used the 98+ Ranger kit can provide some insight. Before I would purchase something like this I need to know all that would be involved with these mounts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Tom

Do you have the name of the shop? Ill call them and ask them about install and alingnment prices. 4wheel parts oakland said a similar thing to me when i wanted to order my BFG 31s. "Your gonna put 31s on that thing? What do you call those things anyway? Oh yea S U V s! HAHA!" I looked at him like he was crazy! I wont be doing business with them anymore.

Back