Replacing factory sub in '96 Explorer Eddie Bauer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing factory sub in '96 Explorer Eddie Bauer!

starfirex

Reaction score
City, State
Orland Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ford Explorer E.Bauer
I was the troubled soul looking for decent 6x8 speakers that offered a good range of sound including bass response.

I replaced all 4 of my speakers with 6x8's and am NOW ready to replace sub! :confused: There is also a factory amp that sits next to the sub. I do have several questions for the experienced audio god's out there.

o What is my factory subwoofer size for my '96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer? 6" or 6.5"?

o Since it is enclosed in the plastic casing on the rear most passenger side, what is the best way to replace it?

o I heard from a friend that he was drilled a hole through the casing and replaced the sub without pulling the whole right side panel off. What are my options?

o What's the best sub that will provide a good clean bass without the rattle??

I purchased a pair of Pioneer 6x8 4-ways (240W) for the front doors and Pioneer 6x8 3-ways (220W) for the rear doors. :cool: These speakers have excellent fidelity, but lack the much needed bass. I can hear some good mid-tones but much of the low range sounds are lost. :(

I look forward to hearing your input! :rolleyes:

Like I said on your Pioneer thread but I guess it was ignored:

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
Just replace the sub. It's $50 plus shipping. I bought the same sub. It's great!! Here's the link:

http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/rockfordfosgatesubs.html

Scroll down the Punch HE series.

The only thing I forgot to put on there is look for a 6.5" sub.

As for your Pioneers, I'm assuming you still have your stock JBL system, the door speakers will not produce any bass because the factory amp has a built in crossover so that prevents any low frequencies to the door speakers so that's why your sub is the one who's producing all the bass.

Trust me. I know this is because I was in the same situation you are in right now.

EDIT: Get the 8ohm and not the 4ohm because your stock sub is rated at 8 ohms.

To remove the sub speaker (NOT the enclosure) without removing the quarter paneling.

Take something flat and pry out the speaker grill, the metal part and NOT the plastic.

Once you pry out the METAL grill, there're 4 screws. One on top of the speaker, one on the bottom, and one on the left, and one on the right. The screws are hidden below the foam. Unscrew them, then take the sub out.

Replaceing: reverse the instructions.

Back