´97 SOHC Explorer won´t start, no spark | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

´97 SOHC Explorer won´t start, no spark

koffen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hello I´m new member here from Sweden who have a question for you.
My X will not start.:mad: Fuel pump runs at ignition on and builds up pressure and starter runs fine but I get no sparks from the ignition. Im thinking of the crankshaft position sensor. Have cleaned and sprayed contacts with no result. The toothwheel for the sensor looks OK and is clean.
How can I check if the sensor itself is OK or not? I do have a digital multimeter and know how to use it.
Resistance value for sensor? Current or voltage measuring values during cranking?
Luckily I managed to push the car into my garage with my Saab so I don´t have to work out in the snow.:)
Anybody who knows how to proceed? Thanx in advance.

fuel pump runs when cranking

I just thought of a different way to check if the PCM is getting an output from the crankshaft position sensor. When the key is switched to run the fuel pump will be energized by the PCM for only a few seconds. However, the fuel pump will continue to be energized by the PCM as long as it determines (via the crankshaft position sensor) that the crankshaft is rotating. You could probe a fuel pump power wire or connector and confirm voltage is present when key is switched to run. When the power is de-energized after a few seconds switch the key to start and see if the power is re-energized. If so, then there is no problem with the entire crankshaft position sensor circuit.

I don't have a 1997 wiring diagram but if your wiring is like mine the PCM monitors the voltage to the fuel pump via an output from the fuel pump relay so the relay must be in place when you perform the above described test. If you have another person available to listen to the fuel pump while the starter is cranking you can easily accomplish the same test.

starting problem solved

Thanks for the tip. Confirmed my theory about the crankpos sensor. Cleaned and sprayed it again and the car started at once.:D Runs well now. Thanks again.

If you pull the sensor and hook your leads in in set to ohms, then pass a piece of steel in front of the sensor. It should show on the meter.

Back