Solved - ‘04, ‘05 direct power to fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved ‘04, ‘05 direct power to fuel pump

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Anyone no how to get power to the fuel pump on an ‘04 Explorer?

‘02 - ‘03 you just jump pins 3 and 5 on the relay. But it doesn’t work on the ‘04 and presumably ‘05 models.
Not sure if it’s Can Bus related, or if the crank sensor needs jumped.

Anyone know?

I need to get 22 gal. of fuel out without cranking the engine.

The answer near as I can tell, is you can’t. You can jump the relay but there’s a module that needs to send signals to the pump as well. And I’m not messing with that.

The answer near as I can tell, is you can’t. You can jump the relay but there’s a module that needs to send signals to the pump as well. And I’m not messing with that.
The Module you speak of is circuitry built in to the PCM. See, 2004 and up have no fuel return line to the tank. Instead signals from various sensors, engine speed, load, Fuel Temperature and Pressure Sensor, allow PCM to run the FUEL PUMP at precisely the speed needed to maintain constant pressure in the fuel rail. Without that signal to the pump, it will not run. To hear the pump run, you may run separate wires to it.

Back