“Tick” coming from steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

“Tick” coming from steering

Homeworld8118

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 sport trac limited v8
I have noticed lately when im pulling out of my parking sport and I go to turn my wheel when backing up(while moving not at dead stop) that I notice a tick sound. Just one when its about ¾ full rotation and another when I drive forward and straighten out. I don’t off road or anything so I didn’t hit anything under there.

Sound from what I can tell its coming from the front end area. The tie rods feel tight, no play going down the road, wiggle test feel nice and responsive. I know my ball joints are starting to ware a bit, can hear that on some bumps but I wouldn’t think that would be it.

I haven’t gotten a chance to get the front end up and crawl under there due to weather and work. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or past experience with this. I don’t feel like it’s a major problem I just like to keep my ST in top condition.

Thanks,
Tad Murphy

Hey Homeworld,
New to the Sport Trac. Only had my 07 less than a month now. But I had a 98 Ranger that made the same noise about 12 years ago. Replaced the ball joints and never heard it again. Until the ball joints went bad again two years later. Make sure you or your mechanic checks all the suspension and steering after a part failure. Both those systems are subjected to a lot of stress when out of design tolerances.

As OP mentioned, best way to diagnose is unloading the front by lifting the LCA's and inspecting. First parts to usually fail are the sway bar end links and lower ball joints. Also check the four UCA camber/caster bolts. Tighten with the wheels loaded on the ground @ 111 ft/lbs, Loctite optional, and have the alignment checked if found loose. GL

http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library...-adjustment-8212-front-general-procedures.pdf

Thank you all for the info I'll defiantly be looking there first.

An update to my problem: I parked in a different location where I didn't have to turn and I just drove straight out. I didn't cut the wheel at all and I still noticed the tick about the same time/distance after driving off. Interesting.... Maybe just with the cold things are just a little tighter or a random pocket of water from rain/melted snow that froze and broke loose? Thanks again all!

Back