'00 5.0 AWD/Auto transfer case-ft driveshaft clank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'00 5.0 AWD/Auto transfer case-ft driveshaft clank

Impact9

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
My son's 2000 AWD 5.0 auto is making some clanking noise regardless if in gear or not as long as it's moving. I got the truck up on stands and found a random clank at the front of the transfer case. It sounds like it's right where the drive shaft meets the case. I uploaded a video to youtube. Any tips on what I should do here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any tips for removing the bearing pack from the axle spline? I've soaking it in PB and heating it up with a butane torch. Got it to back out about 1/8" and then it stopped. About to just split it with the grinder to get it off.

My son's 2000 AWD 5.0 auto is making some clanking noise regardless if in gear or not as long as it's moving. I got the truck up on stands and found a random clank at the front of the transfer case. It sounds like it's right where the drive shaft meets the case. I uploaded a video to youtube. Any tips on what I should do here?

Resurrecting thread to ask question.

What was wrong, CV joint or transfer case was bad?

I have the exact same clanking noise on my 2000 4.0 SOHC Mountaineer, 4WD not AWD.

Thank you.

Cv joint at front d shaft. Dorman makes a rebuild kit or just buy a whole new shaft

Cv joint at front d shaft. Dorman makes a rebuild kit or just buy a whole new shaft
Shop replaced front DS CV joint last August (2023). Don't know whose kit they used. Cheapest possible, from past experience.

Could worn parts inside t-case cause that CV joint to go bad again?

No but a worn out clutch in your awd caee would cause the case to go bad

Cheap d shaft rebuild might mast a year maybe two but it’s not going to last like oem shaft!

Remove the front d shaft and inspect it
6ea 8mm bolts at the t case
4ea torx 30 bolts at the front diff

410;

Front d/s is original to vehicle. Has 396,x.. miles. The BW 44-05 Control Trac t-case also orig to vehicle.

Front d/s CV joint replaced last year by so-so shop. Don't know what brand CV joint used. Probably cheapest they could get.

29-30 degrees out with 10-15 mph gusts. Too cold to drop front d/s today.

Besides, with approx 2" total rotational play by hand, something's wrong inside t-case. Stretched chain? Broken tooth? Nylon shift fork guides likely gone as you noted. Case holes for selector shaft (H, L, N) and shift fork probably egg shaped, too.

Would love to rebuild t-case with Omega Machine front/rear cases but not happening without my own garage and second vehicle.

Back