4x4xbrian.com

Reaction score
City, State
Watkins Glen Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ranger
Callsign
Btilden
I engine swapped my ranger using a 2000 explorer 5.0. All wire harness and components are from explorer. The speedo and cruise are not working now and it shifts hard AF, all was good prior to removing stuff from the explorer.
The abs does work so I would assume the rear sensor is functioning properly.

Heres the big question:

With live data scanner I see an accurate speed signal at the pcm, could this be read from the oss? Or does this confirm that the vss signal from the abs module is working correctly?

Abs codes: C1095, C1939, P0500

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What model Ranger is the truck, and does it have the rear ABS sensor on the diff? The 98-01 Explorers use the rear ABS sensor and it runs to the ABS module, which conditions it into a VSS signal. That VSS then goes to the speedometer and PCM.

All wiring and components are from the explorer, yes rear diff sensor from the explorer

The P0500 is likely the culprit here
His title says 01 Ranger
watching with interest

All wiring and components are explorer not ranger.

With live data scanner I see an accurate speed signal at the pcm, could this be read from the oss? Or does this confirm that the vss signal from the abs module is working correctly?

@CDW The abs module is from the explorer, I have not tried another one. I was hoping not to bleed the brakes again, I had trouble getting the pedal back last time. Unless the module can be removed from the pump?

Abs codes: C1095, C1939, P0500

Okay, given the whole system swapped, then those codes suggest an ABS issue. CEL searches point to failures of the ABS pump circuit and the VSS circuit/signal. Check all of the fuses again, any blown will suggest a shorted wire etc. It sounds like a wiring issue if all components are good, or an ABS sensor failure. The rear and front AWD/4WD ABS sensors are very reliable, those expect to still be good. But connectors and wires in general are very fragile and swapping them can develop issues.

I'd check fuses first, and then wiring overall.

@CDW The abs module is from the explorer, I have not tried another one. I was hoping not to bleed the brakes again, I had trouble getting the pedal back last time. Unless the module can be removed from the pump?

The brake bleeding issue is from air in the ABS module, so don't remove that unless you have to. Bleeding one quickly requires a special tool to force the ABS module pump to cycle, which displaces some air inside.

I've never done that, but one 95 Crown Vic I installed ABS into, it took many months to gain a normal strong pedal. It was driveable and I was delivering mail with it, so hard braking with some ABS function helped it a lot.

Solved:

Abs module is bad.
I used an oscilloscope to verify sensor signal to abs module, and that no signal being output. Fairly confident then I swapped in the original one from the ranger and it works. Now I've gotta bleed it out again.
I guess I need to look into this brake bleeding tool mentioned by cdw.

Well done. For the bleeding, there have been devices sold on eBay to perform that task, but I don't know what they are called. What I saw many years ago was a small box about the size of a GEM module, with a couple of lights and a wiring connection or two.

If you can bleed it well except for the module, and be thorough enough to bleed it again after driving it to slam the brakes and force the ABS to function. That can work, but that doesn't in one step displace all air that might be in there. It could take several ABS events or more. My Crown Vic was perfectly driveable right after installing the used ABS module and MC. It just had a somewhat softer pedal than my other stock 95(same car but with ABS stock).

I have a pressure bleeder, that's how I got it before. But it still took forever...

Back