• Register Today It's free!

'00 5.0L Power Steering Pump

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
I am connecting up a '00 5.0L Power Steering Pump in connection with an engine swap. The Ford manual shows the high pressure side of the pump connected to the rigid line with a Teflon seal. That leaves the hard line loose within the nut when tightened down. Not completely loose as there seems to be some packing between the hard line and the nut but loose enough to twist and wiggle. It is not a firm connection like a compression fitting. It makes me question whether it is going to hold pressure.

Here is the pump side of the connection:

P3111457.jpg

. . . the rigid tubing side of the connection:

P3111458.jpg

. . . and the connected pump and line:

P3111460.jpg

I appears to me that the pressure connection should be made down inside the pump rather than with a seal between the nut and pump body. Something like a 8mm copper crush washer sealing the connection.

The question is: Is that Teflon seal all that is needed?

. . . and that the little Teflon seal is difficult to acquire and install. I would recommend that a new hose, with included seal be used.

It needs to be heated in a microwave in a little water until soft and then stretched over the threads. I used a couple of large shaft screwdrivers to stretch it until just before the breaking point. 'Just before the breaking point' is not the normal outcome of my efforts in these little jobs.

P3131462.jpg

Back