00 Explorer 4.0l Rattling When Cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 Explorer 4.0l Rattling When Cold

flogrown4995

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys,

I recently got my first Explorer two months ago, a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0l SOHC. Its a pretty nice vehicle, minus the few problems I've had while owning it (mainly having my transmission cooling line blow out while driving on the highway and losing all my range, but I won't go into that...). Anyway, I've noticed since owning it, it has a rattling/clicking sound upon startup and idle. I recorded a clip today:
After a few minutes of idling and or driving, it goes away and the engine sounds great. What I am believing it to be is bearings in one of the pumps, such as alternator, water pump, etc. If anyone is able to clarify or confirm this, please let me know. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kinda sounds like timing chain death rattle to me...

Here is an example of normal running shoc engines
4.0 SOHC Timing Noise

If it goes away after warm up may be able to get away with replacement tensioners
Kinda sounds like the classic broken rear guide
Also check the oil make sure to put in 5w 30

If that is timing chain noise, and nothing is broken it would go away in maximum 10 to 15 seconds. You say it lasts minutes.

Where exactly do you think the sound is comming from?

If that is timing chain noise, and nothing is broken it would go away in maximum 10 to 15 seconds. You say it lasts minutes.

Where exactly do you think the sound is comming from?
Like 2 minutes then goes away. Everything runs fine otherwise. Sounds like it comes from left side of engine probably. And it does idle rough for those like 2 minutes, but I figured that was because I had bad spark plugs. To answer Donalds- I changed the oil at 203285 with 5w-30 (I am at 203560 now). *edit* Today when I started it up to go to class it only rattled for like 30 seconds.

Is left side passengers or drivers side?

Even 30 seconds is a long time to pressurise the hydraulic tensioners that support the timing guides. Also does it rattle once hot and you start it again?

Hydraulic tensioner springs are probably gone or the tensioners themselves are worn out. your playing with fire though, because the plastic cassettes are probably brittle as all hell, and changing the tensioners has a pretty good chance of shattering them. Welcome to planned obsolescence. Quality is Job 2, profit is Job 1.

Hydraulic tensioner springs are probably gone or the tensioners themselves are worn out. your playing with fire though, because the plastic cassettes are probably brittle as all hell, and changing the tensioners has a pretty good chance of shattering them. Welcome to planned obsolescence. Quality is Job 2, profit is Job 1.

That's what I thought the back tensioner has a sticking one way valve......dirty....
Change it
Or pre oil it

So it's looking like the overwhelming majority says the hydraulic tensioners/springs... For fixing this, about how much would it cost? What would I have to take apart to get at the tensioner and or springs?

a 2000, you gotta pull the upper intake off to get at the front one and not risk stripping the threads (next gen you can get at them with the intake on). Probably 100 bucks for decent tensionrs and a horse shoe that the worn out plastic guides can take the new springs. Dont cheap out on hydraulic tensioners. I bought cloyes, and ebay specials, and holding them side by side, they arent even in the same ball park. The ebay specials bind under spring pressure, the cloyes are smooth as silk. Haven't used OEM, but they are probably even better.

Back