• Register Today It's free!

00 Ford explorer Stuck in 4WD

D7rkN1ghtmare

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 00 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC automatic 4x4 and I have a really weird issue that I have not been able to figure out. My car is stuck in 4WD but I never put it into 4WD. I was driving around at low speeds in 2H when my car randomly kicked into 4H and stayed there, The dash light did not come on and the switch was still in 2WD, I tested the switch and it is working as well as the transfer case motor so I am not sure where the issue is. I can go between 4H and 4L without issue but it wont disengage 4WD. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably the speed sensor on the transfer case gone bad, or its connector is fouled or the wire to it damaged. I'm not sure but you might be able to use Forscan app to get those sensor readings with live data while driving, except of course that if the sensor has a problem, that reading could be 0.

It may also be possible that your transfer case is going out and metal particles were slung on the speed sensor and fouling it? Someone else will have to chime in about that issue, I've never had to deal with that.

Edit: If you need to drive it till fixed, you can unplug the connector to the shift motor (on the transfer case) which has the front wheel drive clutch wires on it too, but better (due to being in the cabin away from weather) would be unplug the connector to the TOD (torque on demand) module aka relay in the dash next to the radio. It's a little box with about 5 wires, and a wiring diagram I have shows black, yellow, brown, and two light-blue/black wires.

Hold on...as far as I know, the '00 Explorers had Auto/4High/4Low and no 2WD selection. Regardless, let me tell you about my experience with Control Trac:

I bought my '98 XLT (Phoenix area truck it's entire life) w/106K miles in 2012. Drove it for 3 yrs and 45K miles without ever touching the transfer case selector knob. One day it slipped into 4High and I couldn't get it back to Auto mode. Was grinding terribly on turns. Cleaned the two Halls effect sensors, changed the transfer case fluid (wasn't low or particularly dirty) and installed new shift motor. None of it helped. Took it to my trusted tranny shop and they confirmed it needed a rebuild. The clutch rings showed signs of excessive heat and one of the three steel balls used on the ramp inside had actually broken in half; among other things. Had them rebuild it and haven't had any further problems. Couldn't understand how any of this could happen if I never put it in 4H/4L...until I learned later that Auto didn't mean it was in true 2WD. Point is, it can and did happen to me. Not saying you necessarily need a rebuild, but it's certainly a possibility.

It's probably the speed sensor on the transfer case gone bad, or its connector is fouled or the wire to it damaged. I'm not sure but you might be able to use Forscan app to get those sensor readings with live data while driving, except of course that if the sensor has a problem, that reading could be 0.

It may also be possible that your transfer case is going out and metal particles were slung on the speed sensor and fouling it? Someone else will have to chime in about that issue, I've never had to deal with that.

Edit: If you need to drive it till fixed, you can unplug the connector to the shift motor (on the transfer case) which has the front wheel drive clutch wires on it too, but better (due to being in the cabin away from weather) would be unplug the connector to the TOD (torque on demand) module aka relay in the dash next to the radio. It's a little box with about 5 wires, and a wiring diagram I have shows black, yellow, brown, and two light-blue/black wires.
so that is where it gets interesting. I had the transfer case rebuilt 3 years ago for a similar issue, the car had 136K miles at the time and made it to 176K and now it has this issue. anyway I rarely used the 4wd system so if I unplug the transfer case or the plug behind the radio it will stay in 2WD? is there any bad side effects to doing this? if it works im gonna rock it till the wheels fall off and 4WD is never used anyway.

If you want permanent and cheap, search the forum for the "brown wire mod", which is essentially putting a switch on the brown wire running between the TOD in the dash and the FWD clutch in the transfer case.

That way, switch off you have RWD. Switch on you have enabled 4WD. You could just unplug it instead and never have 4WD available.

Problem is, that doesn't address the transfer case itself if it's going out again. I don't know everything about the interworkings and faults in one but the RWD goes through it too. I don't know if the clutch for FWD can get stuck. If it can and that's why it's always in 4WD, removing power won't change that but you should know right away when you unplug it if that's the case.

X2. If the transfer case is locked up in 4WD, I have doubts it will unlock if you simply disconnect power at this point.

BTW...have you you been running same make/style/size/tread depth tires on all four wheels? If not, your transfer case was probably working more often than you realize to compensate for uneven wheel rotation. That wasn't the case with my Explorer...but in hindsight, I'm wondering if always having been driven on dry roads, if the transfer case didn't bind up due to lack of use of in 4H/4L. And, when I did drive it on some slippery roads one evening when I got caught away from home during a sudden snow squall, it may have set things in motion for failure. The brown wire mod is something I've been meaning to do...but, just haven't gotten around to it.

X2. If the transfer case is locked up in 4WD, I have doubts it will unlock if you simply disconnect power at this point.

BTW...have you you been running same make/style/size/tread depth tires on all four wheels? If not, your transfer case was probably working more often than you realize to compensate for uneven wheel rotation. That wasn't the case with my Explorer...but in hindsight, I'm wondering if always having been driven on dry roads, if the transfer case didn't bind up due to lack of use of in 4H/4L. And, when I did drive it on some slippery roads one evening when I got caught away from home during a sudden snow squall, it may have set things in motion for failure. The brown wire mod is something I've been meaning to do...but, just haven't gotten around to it.
I have 4 Goodyear Wrangler tires on my explorer that were put on 2 years ago at the same time so not the tires but I gave up on fixing the 4WD system and just unbolted the front drive shaft so the transfer case can do what it wants. im rocking it. Thanks for all the help everyone.

to anyone else that finds this thread and is done with transfer case issues just unbolt the front drive shaft and
If you want permanent and cheap, search the forum for the "brown wire mod", which is essentially putting a switch on the brown wire running between the TOD in the dash and the FWD clutch in the transfer case.

That way, switch off you have RWD. Switch on you have enabled 4WD. You could just unplug it instead and never have 4WD available.

Problem is, that doesn't address the transfer case itself if it's going out again. I don't know everything about the interworkings and faults in one but the RWD goes through it too. I don't know if the clutch for FWD can get stuck. If it can and that's why it's always in 4WD, removing power won't change that but you should know right away when you unplug it if that's the case.
just a heads up, unplugging mine did not put it back into 2WD but mine is probably jammed up or something. if anyone else has this issue and just wants to bypass the 4wd then removing the front drive shaft works great. I did it earlier and it feels like the drive train is a lot smoother as well. Thanks again for all of your help.

well that makes sense but mine is a 2WD/4WD System so other then the transfer case going into neutral i dont see how mine could drift in park but i see what you are saying.
Just thought it's something you'd like to know

I've got a '96 and mine got stuck in 4WD backing out of a parking space. I do not remember touching the switch either. I was told to make sure switch was not in 4WD and drive in reverse a short distance, like up and down driveway. It unlocked the TC. After checking I found my TC fluid was completely dry. I rebuilt the TC and haven't had a problem since.

I've got a '96 and mine got stuck in 4WD backing out of a parking space. I do not remember touching the switch either. I was told to make sure switch was not in 4WD and drive in reverse a short distance, like up and down driveway. It unlocked the TC. After checking I found my TC fluid was completely dry. I rebuilt the TC and haven't had a problem since.
that actually is just how it happened to me except i was backing into a parking spot the day prior and while backing up with the wheels turned it binded up and stalled out on me. so i probably need a rebuild. Thanks

Does this mean (if anyone is still around as this post was old) that if there is no power to the Shift Motor (SM) the TC Shift Shaft will 'spring' back to 2WD, which on my 98 EB version, is at 12 oclock ?
Seems to me the SM has to >shift< the TC back to 2WD, then with no power, it will not be shifted OUT of 2WD.

Does this mean (if anyone is still around as this post was old) that if there is no power to the Shift Motor (SM) the TC Shift Shaft will 'spring' back to 2WD, which on my 98 EB version, is at 12 oclock ?
Seems to me the SM has to >shift< the TC back to 2WD, then with no power, it will not be shifted OUT of 2WD.
No, there is not any springing back of the shift motor. It stays in the position it is in when no power is applied. However, you could manually change its position and that of the transfer case by removing it from the transfer case.

The brown wire powers the electromagnetic clutch. The shift motor only determines whether high or low gear is used, and stays in the position it is in, until the shift control module gives it power in the opposite polarity it used to shift into or out of low gear last time.

However, the electromagnetic clutch that engages to provide partial or full time front wheel drive power, does disengage without a power supply, can't engage when the 12V brown supply wire to it is disconnected, so preventing power to the clutch keeps it in 2WD/RWD. You can see the wiring diagram for it by downloading the 2nd gen wiring diagrams linked in my sig below. The applicable diagram file in that is named something like "transmissions -4wd-circuit-1-of-1.pdf"

What are you trying to accomplish? If it is stuck in 4WD you may have some other problem you can solve and retain the ability to use 4WD.

Ok, makes sense, the Shift Motor (SM) has to move the shift shaft to position, no spring back to 4, where it is (sort of stuck) now.
I took the SM off (another thread) but can't shift the TC manually (to N or 2) so I will run the engine in N and Park while buddy is underneath shifting the TC. That may shift it to 2 which is where it can stay.

Brown wire/clutch - that's in the TC right ? So there are more wires to the TC, besides the SM ?
If I can find the TC clutch wires I can disconnect or put a switch on it.

Yes the brown wire goes from the shift control module (in the dash, behind the radio) to the transfer case.

Back